7950x3d Benchmarks for MSFS 2020

From the article:

Ryzen 9 7950X3D: Corsair H115i 280mm water cooler, default power limits, DDR5-5200 (Coupled Mode)

Ryzen 9 7950X3D PBO/UV: Corsair H115i 280mm water cooler, Precision Boost Overdrive (Advanced/Motherboard), Scalar 10X, -25 Curve Optimizer, DDR5-6000 EXPO (Coupled Mode), Silicon lottery and cooling performance impact overhead – YMMV

I’m holding out for the 7800x3d benchmarks. Gamers Nexus pointed out that AMD only sent 7950x3d review samples, not the 7900x3d or 7800x3d (they plan to buy them anyway if need for testing), which they said could be very telling. It could mean AMD doesn’t want to cannibalize their own sales, or the other chips could have depressing results. I’m ok waiting another month or so to see how things pan out. Even if the 7950x3d is the king for MSFS, I doubt I’ll get it already simply due to budget.

I think precious boost overclock, basically the cpu over clocking itself based on thermal headroom.

Don’t like the way this CPU gonna work. If it is gonna park 1 CCD what is the point paying $800.
I would wait for 7800x3D instead for pure gaming systems.

The 7950X3D has 8 cores with vcache same as what the 7800X3D will have. The issue was that there was concerns on how Windows would use the 7950X3D and it’s 16 cores, but that has been sorted out with bios updates and chipset driver updates.

The 7800X3D will perform exactly the same as the 7900X3D. If there is a difference, you might be talking of a 3-5 fps difference.

If all you do is gaming, then go for 7800X3D cuz it will be cheaper, but not because it will perform way better than 7950X3D.

If you want the best of both worlds, then obviously the 7950X3D is the way.

1 Like

Precision Boost Overdrive, enabled in BIOS.

From my understanding, parking the cores for gaming requires you to use the Xbox Game Bar for Windows to detect when a game is being played automatically. There isn’t a universal trigger for this and it’s possible a game could be missed and ran on the non-V cache CCD. Factorio is one specific game I’ve heard of where that happened.

I don’t know how much of an issue this will be long term when it comes to missed reporting, but I dislike the idea of relying on what I consider bloatware to properly run a program on principle alone. Thankfully the 7800x3d won’t have that problem.

Xbox game bar is by default always running in windows unless you uninstalled it yourself. Many people don’t even know they have it running in the background.

AMD already stated that Windows has already sorted this out.

As of now, all you have to do is update bios and chipset drivers, which you have to do almost every time anyways.

Some folks are over complicating this.

1 Like

I’m waiting for the 7800X3D to build my dedicated sim computer. It will match or outperform the 7950X3D while having a lower TDP. Having all those cores in the 7950X3D is a waste in MSFS as 3/4 of them will never be used. I’d rather throw that extra money towards a higher end GPU or faster RAM than extra cores I’ll never need.

1 Like

The issues with having two CCDs (one with 3D cache and the other without it) isn’t sorted out. Hardware Unboxed tested the CPU disabling the CCD withou 3D cache and it performed better when compared to the tests with the two CCDs active.

This means the 7800x3d will be better for games? I don’t know. That’s why I’m advsing people to wait for it.

Here the average of 12 games tested. The Simulated 7800x3d is just the 7950x with one of the CCDs disabled (the one without 3D cache).

1 Like

Is this real? How does it beat my 13900KS by like 30%? I mean this seams like a enormous difference.

I don’t want to wait, and I’m also doing some other stuff on my PC (photos, video editing etc), so I’ll be happy with the 7950X3D. But I’m also thinking about simply saving some 120,-€ and getting the 7900X3D.

When I switched from the 5950X to the 5800X3D the performance boost in MSFS was massive, but I also felt the missing 8 cores when working.

1 Like

Sure. I just think it’s important to add as much info as we can here, so we can all make informed decisions. For workload tasks the 7950x will definitely perform better.

Yes of course. I’m still debating with myself whether that’s worth the extra 120,- or whether the 7900X3D will suffice.

This time tomorrow I bet we will have some tests for both 7950x3d and 7900x3d on workload tasks. Then you will be able to choose. the 795 has 8 threads more than the 790, so I believe it might worth for you.

1 Like

Keep in mind the extra cores are the ones running at a higher speed. IMHO:

• For workstation workloads with some gaming, 7950x3D does make sense.
  • For pure gaming including MSFS, I say 7800x3D is the right choice.
  • 7900x3D is best suited in some specific scenarios such as mine: virtualization with CPU pinning, rather than typical workstation workloads such as CAD, video editing, etc…

IMHO people who intend to use their rig for gaming only should NOT jump on the higher end chips, wait just a couple of weeks for 7800x3D numbers to be available.
Of course AMD wants you to go for the higher margin product. It is a smart business decision to do a separate launch for Ryzen 7.
There is a reason why they don’t want you to see a head to head comparison between 7800x3D and the two other chips at this time

edit: Wendell / Level1techs take on 7950X3D, not specific to MSFS but useful nevertheless.

4 Likes

That’s what they’ve stated, but this video shows at around the 10:40 mark this is not completely true and some things are still slipping through. Factorio ran poorly by default, and only performed as expected when manually shutting off the non-V-cache cores, showing a massive performance jump. Unless there is a major change with how games are detected, this will always be a possibility.

It’s also not just about updating the bios and chipset drivers. Yes, that will help, but also have to re-enable the game bar, AND there are two extra programs from AMD you have to install to additionally help with scheduling. That is explained around the 6:00 mark here.

This now brings up a question about the Hardware Unboxed results. They didn’t mention the additional programs along with the bios and chipset updates. So either the issue isn’t actually fully sorted out, or the setup needed to properly utilize the CPU is not that straightforward if a large tech review channel didn’t get it right. Either answer doesn’t look good in terms of hands off usage.

1 Like

It is due to the larger cache of the X3D. MSFS is very Cache hungry.

I think it will take some time to sort this out. It will be like the 12th Intel generation, when they introduced the P and E cores. Games and programs were using the E cores when they were supposed to use the P cores.

I really believe the reason AMD isn’t releasing the three CPUs together is because they still need to sort this out and the 7800x3d would perform better on games because it doesn’t have those scheduling issues.

1 Like

It looks like the 7900X3D is split 6c per CCD. If that is the case, and one CCD gets parked when gaming, will is have worse gaming performance than even the 7800X3D? I wonder if that is why reviewers did not get the 7900X3D.