8-10fps increase from just changing aspect ratio (good for 4K)

Yes i can confirm this! So you left the 3840 and you changed the 2160 to 1440? Where did you changed this setting?

Oh ok i just saw your previous post, so you went with 1600 by changing in the Nvidia control panel and then in the Game :+1:

1 Like

Yes, exactly correct. This way there is no loss of quality and it saves over 2-million pixles from being processed by the GPU, and has the added benefit of a more realistic FOV while flying. So, far so good and is the best way to quickly pick up frames on a 4k display.

1 Like

Thanks for the great tip. I have a 4K 27" 60Hz monitor, Ryzen 3950X/128GB RAM and RTX 2080 Super. I created a custom resolution of 3840x1440 as suggested and changed the desktop and game resolution to match. I’m now getting +~15fps using the “high end” setting when cruising, currently looking at 47fps over the sea just SW of Hong Kong. Nice!

I wouldn’t say that the letterbox view makes it better/more realistic, but maybe that’s because I’m using a 27" screen vs your 43". However, it doesn’t detract from it much and is a very fair compromise for the performance benefit.

Thanks again. Simple but smart.

1 Like

You are very welcome! Yes, the part that is more real is the FOV difference. On approach this is really helpful. The cropped aspect makes for a wide field of view in the cockpit, which is closer to what we would see with our eyes. (at least on the larger screen I have).

Glad you like this tip! Happy landings!

I tried this too, thanks for the tip on the custom resolution. I have a 43" 4K screen too, and setting the 21:9 aspect ratio works really well, and the extra FPS is a bonus :grin:

I agree too that the overall FOV is more realistic, especially for GA

1 Like

This worked for me as well. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I see Missionary Bush Pilot. Love his videos. Have you done any of his flights?

Yes, I did some of the route he flight and some are more than twice :blush:

1 Like

i get an 18FPS boost if I refrain from using the VFR map in draggable mode. As soon as you take it off draggable mode you’ll immediately see your frames shoot back up to where they should be. VFR MAP IS broken for sure, or is just a hog if you click the little icon to turn it into something you want to drag over to another screen or even if you leave it on your main screen in window’ed mode. what a killer that thing is.

I tried this on my 27" 4K monitor and it actually made my performance worse by about 3 FPS. I have 3060ti and wanted to try this suggestion to try and push it past 50 fps. I’m curious if any of the updates since this was posted has affected the performance of whats said in this performance suggestion. I tried it in HIGH settings and was getting 40 FPS in 4k Native res. I too see no difference between High and Ultra in 4k so I keep it at High for the fps boost.