A Case for "lowly" Quest2 for MSFS + RTX3080 performace-level/price video cards

After many, many updates to Oculus/Meta Quest 2 software (current version is v50) as well as many,many updates to MSFS, I have been using my Reverb G2 and Quest 2 to enjoy the beginnings of amazingly beautiful flight sim in VR. It has been a rocky road filled with regression bugs, performance issues, and frustration but after a couple of hardware updates, I am quite satisfied with the image clarity and smoothness of being able to look out the side window when flying a PMDG737-700 from medium complexity airports (KSEA-KSAN). The hardware upgrades were to upgrade from an RTX2070 to a $700 RTX3080ti and then a newer USB link cable (under $50USD) for the Quest2 that could provide a 500mbps serial image transfer. Also, the Reverb G2 cable finally became inoperative due to bending and that WMR headset had to be placed in its original box.
There are so many options for headsets and CPUs and GPUs - and each of us has our preferences in terms of image quality, update smoothness, and also the amount of money we can/wish to spend. This topic is not really to encourage debate amongst those many options but just to summarize why I personally am finally pretty satisfied with the state of MSFS VR. I flew my 737 from gate N6 at SeaTac (KSEA) taking off 16L and flying past Mount Rainier using LNAV/VNAV (SimBrief) with Floyds wispy clouds on my way to a landing at San Diego (KSAN). I started off with motion reprojection at 24FPS on the ground and using Voice Attack, I changed to 36FPS after liftoff and engaged the autopilot and watching out the side window, looked at the clouds and volcanos along the way. The image was quite smooth and clear as far as the terrain and the instrument panel - even the CDU. I didn’t want to spend the cost of a even newer CPU and GPU (nearly $3K) which sounds like VR heaven.
I achieved this satisfaction with a “lowly” Quest 2 and just wanted to summarize what I find to be positive about its features. Again, this list is not to stimulate debate - we all have our preferences - but just to possibly help someone else consider this headset as one of their options if they are just entering the world of VR flight sim.

1. PCVR as well as local VR with multiplayer flight-sim 90Hz games
  2. Large company resources support HMD and develop future units
  3. (Almost) 2K x 2K per eye with large sweetspot
  4. PCVR via WiFi(200mbps) or Inexpensive (<$50)(500mbps) cable easily replaceable
  5. Large selection of headstrap replacements for comfort
  6. High image clarity using large buffer resolution (3500x3500) at 24 or 36 FPS lock-rates using DLSS-Quality and OXRTK
  7. High quality motion reprojection (ASW2.0) and frame locking at one-third/one-half HMD rate (72,80,90,120)
  8. HMD parameters (lock-rate, OXRTK overlays,etc…) can be altered immersively (no peeking) using Voice Attack
2 Likes