A humble ask for performance optimization

This is a humble request for Asobo to please focus on optimizing MSFS before releasing more content updates. The latest update has rendered the game literally unplayable for me and many others. I bought a HP Reverb G2 VR headset just to play this sim and now I’m getting a vomit-inducing 5-10 fps on a RTX 3090 graphics card even at “Low-End” global render quality.

Please try to work on performance improvements. Why are we using DX11 on a Microsoft-published product when Microsoft themselves released the spec for DX12 years ago? Why can’t this sim have better multithreaded support? The vast majority of people playing this have at least 4 processors. Where is support for advanced graphics functions like raytracing or DLSS?

MSFS has created a beautiful world with beautiful planes, but a slideshow is not a simulation. Please, please put the time into optimizing this sim before releasing more content.

53 Likes

No issues for me and most others. Put a request in with Zendesk and ask for help.
Hope you get your issue sorted.

2 Likes

I doubt Zendesk will help unless everyone with their setup has the issue. When it is to do with a PCs setup it is solely our problem and why these forums exist.

It is pretty obvious that if it can run well for person A with setup X and person B has a similar setup to X then it isn’t a improve performance issue.

It is incredibly easy to find posts from VR users saying what to do to fix their low FPS issues but the OP says nothing about having tried any of those things so they probably haven’t. Hopefully someone less lazy than me will used that pesky search button or youtube for them.

2 Likes

In the spirit of being helpful here: have you looked through the VR subsection of the forum? There are numerous posts with large user count specifically dedicated to how to set up the G2 for decent frame rates and many users have GPUs far less than the 3090 and are using VR regularly, I have a 3090 and get good performance (nearly 30 FPS on High settings locked at 20 though FPS so I can use reprojection up to 60hz with 100 render scale…and in 2D I can get 45-60fps on ultra/high in 1440p or 35-40 on high in 4K) but there are a lot of settings you may need to adjust for VR from the default in several places: WMR, OpenXR, NVidia control panel, Windows OS and in MSFS. I can’t explain them all here but please have a look at the VR section and the tagged posts there for all the help you will need, and then post there with your specific settings and I’m sure the forum can help once you’ve done a bit of research before saying it’s all the fault of Asobo. The sim isn’t perfect and yes it can be better optimized and even Asobo has talked about that, but with your 3090 (not sure of your other specs), you will get a lot more than 5-10 FPS. You also didn’t post anything about where you were flying, your settings for non-VR things like multiplayer and weather, type of plane, server, and all of those things can impact performance. But even having said that, something is likely not setup correctly on your system to get 5-10 FPS on a 3090 GPU.

3 Likes

I think FPS issue will be solved only when we have all cpu cores working as it should.

2 Likes

This is not a VR-only issue. This is most likely an Ampere (30 series) NVIDIA graphics card issue. I am getting the following framerates in flat screen (no VR):

Low End Global Setting: 14 fps, down from 80+ fps
Medium: 12 fps, down from 45+ fps
High: 9 fps, down from 25+ fps
Ultra: 6 fps, down from 15+ fps

My other rig with the same CPU, RAM, and SSD has a 10-series NVIDIA card and has seen no significant performance drop.

2 Likes

Drivers perhaps?

Absolutely ASOBO has to work on MSFS performance, it’s useless have a eye candy sceneries with a vero low FPS even un the powerful rig

1 Like

Updated to the latest NVIDIA game-ready driver today before updating MSFS. 466.11

May we see the empirical data that supports this claim?

In my case, everything is super smooth. I have rtx3080 and play at 1600p ultrawide at ULTRA settings. I am on the previous driver, not the latest one released a few days ago.

I think it is server-related. Each time there is a new World Update, tons of people play, checking it out, downloading. I see slower performance for a day or two and then everything is back to normal (except the last time when massive stutters were introduced in some specific geographic areas, which is mostly fixed now).

I completely agree that something is not right. I can get a stable 60+ FPS on demanding titles like Cyberpunk, Red Dead Redemption 2, etc at 5120x1440 res with everything maxed.

This is not my first time dealing with severe performance issues in MSFS. It has happened several times with other updates, and I’d really like to know what is causing this problem. I shouldn’t have to spend hours troubleshooting this sim every time a major update comes out. It usually ends up with me waiting weeks for the next update.

For those who want to look at the full system build, it is available here. I had planned to upgrade the CPU/mobo this past year but actually getting my hands on a processor has been very difficult.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/UntoldForce/saved/Q6vmGX

Here you go, majority are happy!!

Thank you very much for posting this. I went through many different issues and found that my ASUS motherboard has “ASUS multicore enhancement” enabled whenever I select a XMP memory profile. I disabled this setting, which resets the processor boost clocks to the default Intel specs. After this change the framerate increased dramatically. It’s now a buttery-smooth 30 fps at 5K resolution. I’m still CPU bottlenecked, but at least I can play the sim now.

2 Likes

VR has become something of an afterthought since release let alone actual proper optimisation, the latter is gradually getting better and shows signs of improving slowly.

Heard something interesting in this weeks Q&A.

Asobo reporting that they had managed to reduce the memory requirements for MSFS.

Struck me as a little strange – memory is about the easiest thing to add to a PC, to help increase performance … but NOT for the new XBOX ( fixed at 16 GB ? )

When MSFS was first released, it was hitting close to 16 GB, so many updated to 32GB.

Now with the latetest release of MSFS crammed into about 9 GB, it looks a move in the wrong direction, at least for PC users.

I hope this is not another case of Dumbing down the SIM to squeeze it into XBOX’s Game market, at the expense of the PC market and the more serious Flight Simmers.

2 Likes

Reading your firsts posts I thought “he probably mixed a 80286 pentium 8Mhz processor with his RTX3090” :wink:

I’m glad you sorted this, even if I agree Asobo have to keep working on optimization side.

I have 60fps nearly everywhere including new Paris. Far from a slideshow.
Already posted, but it’s me yesterday morning:

RTX3070 I7 10700K 32GB Ram all ultra but both LOD 175% and shawdows lowered.

2 Likes

Looks GREAT – whats not to like…:slight_smile:

You have a nice, HIGH End system, and have shown us what MSFS is capable of.

Currently, I am content with a simpler, mid range gaming laptop, but it is interesting to see what a higher end system could do.

1 Like

Good for you I guess?