A.I. Co-Pilot: Charlie Saves the Day!

Is it possible they’re using actual A.I.?

Because that would explain the unpredictability.

A.I. would actually be a very poor fit for most functions we expect Charlie to perform.

It’s novel, trendy, and in Azure they probably have a suite of A.I. cloud functions they were dying to try out. But hopefully that’s not what they did.

It would be useful to apply it for unpredictable situations and gradually over time Charlie would, in theory, improve his performance in those situations. Except woops, other than the black screen of death there’s no feedback loop for him to learn from.

But again it’s not necessary. Actually much more complex and prone to problems to use algorithms that try to teach Charlie on every flight.

The first thing they taught me in a primer about A.I. is “Make sure you actually need A.I. before using A.I…”

1 Like

maybe it’s a trial for a new AI autopilot for new planes… God help us all

I’m tempted to try a transatlantic flight but you can’t advance time - it’s there any way to do that with Charli at the yoke?

That’s an interesting thought. Who knows…? (well sure someone does, but not me). It would be an interesting AI ‘playground’. We’ll be getting Androids equipped with a ‘Real People Personality’ next. Perhaps Charlie is a personality prototype?

I did try a transatlantic flight in the 747 on day 2 … couldn’t figure out the autopilot so handed over to Charlie. After about 2.5 hours, started doing wild vertical oscillations just below cruise altitude. Tried messing around and hand flying to stabilize it, but had to abandon the flight in the end.

Did grab some nice screen shots while Charlie was still behaving:

2 Likes

You can try using the sim’s ‘advance to’ function (in the floating menu) - this can take you to different stages of your flight, but my experience is that if you do chance it, Charlie might immediately forget all his flight training. Not always, but usually.

The only other possibility might be in the Developer Console:

simrate [r] and control, then you use your numpad + and - keys to increase/decrease the time - but I have never tried this.

Some more attempts with him:

• VFR from LSZS to LSZA in a prop: resulted in controlled flight into terrain during climb out. I guess he saw it coming, as he never retracted the gear…
  • IFR from LSZB to LSGG in a jet: Ground services said they hadn’t a push-back traktor available right now (first time I heard this), but plane pushed back nevertheless. He did some very erratic taxiing and turned around too early during backtrack, resulting in a very (too) short runway when he started his take-off roll. To my surprise he aborted take-off and came to a stop just in time. Then he stood there and waited until I ended the flight.
  • IFR EFHK to EGLL: He forgot to release the parking brake for pushback, I did this for him. Near to perfect taxi to the active runway. One bounce during take-off roll (I blame the A320neo, not him), otherwise decent climbout. I noticed he does not alter the barometer, but appears to input the altitude “converted” to standard pressure into the AP (which he never uses anyway), e.g. 12’473 when instructed to climb to 14’000 feet… I missed the landing, as my wife called me for dinner. But the screen was black when I got back, might have been the constant overspeed or the landing went wrong :slight_smile:
2 Likes

This thread is funny. I think Aboso should rename “AI Pilot” to “Charlie” (that’s a unisex name/spelling too). :wink:

2 Likes

Wow interesting … I’ve had Charlie fail to backtrack and attempt the short field takeoff twice (not wise in an A320 or Latitude …) both times resulted in early rotation and a crash. Very interesting to hear that Charlie aborted takeoff for you.

Oohhh Charlie look out!

2 Likes

Well, a completely new form of misbehavior today … Leaving Pensacola, Charlie called for and got IFR clearance, then absolutely refused to do anything more.

I tried calling for pushback, which was acknowledged, but the ground crew were apparently out on strike in sympathy with the Union of AI Co-pilots…

I decided I had to actually ‘earn my living’ and taxied out (I usually depend on Charlie’s encyclopaedic knowledge of all the taxiways - I had to resort to the taxi ribbon … which also didn’t work. There’s a bug wrapped up in all of that somewhere, but couldn’t put my finger on it)

Anyhoo - after taking off from the wrong runway, Charlie decided to participate - we called for enroute IFR clearance (actually like that feature) and continued towards Appalachia in deteriorating weather which was spectacular!

Charlie flew the approach (thankfully he/she has much better eyesight than I do) and nearly pulled off a textbook greaser … floated a looong way down the runway on flair causing a certain degree of tension in my undercarriage region, but finally put it down on the centerline and taxied to parking in a most professional manner.

Everyday, something different.

1 Like

Actually I wanted to fly myself, but I got bored by the 225/03 wind, so I decided to have a laugh with Charly:

Following the SID:

Maintaining good trim:

Simulating the non-existant wind:

but he made it: the usual way with all wheels making contact at once and a nice bounce and near to perfect taxi (I don’t blame him that the stands are not accurate at every airport).

3 Likes

Oh, Chucky, why did you just retract the landing gear on final?

(Maybe the A.I. turned out to be evil after all?) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yep, Charlie needs a vacation and refresher with a CFI.

1 Like

Well, miracles do happen, Chuckie just pulled off this incredible landing in Rekjavik … there was smoke and sparks and all sorts, but you know what they say: ‘Any landing you walk away from is a good landing… and if you can use the aeroplane again, it’s a great landing!’’

Our ‘final resting place’ :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

Doesn’t appear to be any damage on the port side. Looks like a night flight so let Charlie sleep and see how it is in the morning!

2 Likes

This has me cracking up hahaha.

1 Like

(T/O from KSFO) Charly, watch out!

2 Likes

Aahhh nothing like the smell of Jet A1 exhaust with just a hint of pine tree!

1 Like

Wow, Charly, what a take-off!!!

I never saw a plane lifting off with rear gear first! Must be the “improved” flight model of the latest patch…

1 Like