A lot of CTD's after update

Same for me - I can’t start a flight with the C172 float plane. Empty community folder.

Edit - I had half a brain to start a flight with the floatplane on a water runway. Works that way.

I’ve had two random CTD - a real shame because otherwise, I’m loving this update. So many nice new touches. It’s like Asobo finally gave me a closer version of the sim I wanted, but put in a random bug to guarantee I just can’t ever relax into the experience. Nothing worse than almost finishing the flight and having a CTD just as your destination airport comes into view.:neutral_face:

I noticed for me it came down to using the mouse in VR. As soon as I would change camera (drone, outside, zoom) and click, the game would crash. If I don’t change the camera, I can click to my heart’s content without a CTD. Strange that it is happening. I hope this helps some of you. 30+ crashes and not one after I stopped changing the camera.

these mods needs updates.
always try with empty community folder when there are problemes.

Well, you may be correct…

I pulled out the two Working Title mods (Working Title are official devs on MSFS and both these mods were updated yesterday and claim compatibility with SU5) and was able to complete a flight in the 172 float plane.

Put the two mods back in community folder, went the the TBM 930 and the game crashed while I was still programming the FMS (after freezing shortly before).

Kind of a shame as those two mods make the TBM 930 and the CJ4 worth flying. Presumably WT will come out with fixes soon enough. Very much hope so.

I deleted the community folder completely and moved the flightsim.cfg file out of the LocalCashe folder and let the program just recreate them on next startup. Haven’t had any CTDs since.

Do you have mods in there?

Only one that was revised since SU5 came out. The H135 Heli.

Ok. Thanks I’ll try it.

Kind of frustrating really having to mess around for hours trying to get the game to work! And testing all the possible variables takes hours, more like a job than a game… :wink:

I was able to fly the Cessna CJ from McClarren in Vegas to Santa Monica in LA California, no problems, about an hour or less. Have been running it for about 4 hrs without a CTD.

So I just completed my first non-CTD flight under SU5. About 30mins. Prior to this, the only change I made in Options was to turn off A.I. Traffic and switch to Live A.I. Traffic. I also took out the Cessna Caravan (‘Old Dependable’).

My Rolling Cache was cleared and turned off.

No CTD. Not even a suggestion of one.

I have no idea if any of this helps - or if I was just lucky that one time.

Ah well…

Followed a number of the suggestions above (thank you), slipped the G3000 mod back in, fired up the TBM 930 and programmed a route into the FMS - no CTD. I always program FMS in flat screen, usually with Mixed Reality Portal and Open XR ready to go and switch to VR when I am ready to fly.

On this occasion they were not fired up, so I started MRP and… MSFS froze.

Over it for now, a very wasted morning. Hopefully these issues will be sorted out, a real shame, it was a great game in VR prior to the update, now we seem to have to thrash around blindly just to get it to work.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Good evening all,

Im new to VR but I am really struggling to get a clear picture in the game. Using the HP Reverb G2 and it’s just blurry.
I’m not tech savvy on the settings but I’m desperate to figure out why it’s blurry…
Any one who has a smooth, clear performance care to share your settings please, including the Nvidia control settings…
Thanks so much…

Oh, I find my CTD dropped dramatically once opening the sim via the club house in WMR.
32Gb, i5 10th gen, 3070

Do you have AI traffic ON? Try disabling. According to Asobo this is a known issue.

:slightly_smiling_face: Just tried disabling AI traffic and live weather and removed the two mods from my community folder…

Woohoo, managed to program the FMS, go into VR, taxi to the runway, throttle up - YES! It’s going to work. (Ok, no mods, no AI traffic, no live weather, but still…)

Game froze - Apparently I collided with something on the runway - game over. (Obviously there was nothing actually there.)

Real shame to say this, and I’ve never had to say it before, for this or any game, but the game is literally unplayable for me at the moment.

Having the same problem! Can maybe fly 5 minutes in VR before a CTD.

10900K, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Reverb G2

no manual or rolling cache
deleted local cache files, content.xml, and flightsimulator.cfg files

Tested H135 add-on and the C152 with empty Community folder. Same test flight loop. Neither CTD when not in VR. Both CTD when in VR.

AI traffic off
Tried MP on and off

I probably have a couple dozen FlightSimulator.exe errors in my Application Event log now from all the testing.

I waited 9.5 hours for all the updates to finish, and now I’ve spent probably 6 hours since yesterday troubleshooting!

I feel like I have a fully functioning demo that only lets me fly for 5 minutes. :frowning:

I find that if I don’t power on my VR prior to launching MSFS, it will freeze on me as soon as I do then CTD several minutes later.

Quick update -

I did an uninstall and full re-install (5 hours for 124GB). My hopes weren’t particularly high as I’ve seen other posts from people who did this and still got CTD’s. That was last night.

This morning I added the USA world update from content manager, fired up my VR stuff (WMR, OpenXR) and started the game. Always start in flatscreen to set up the flight and then switch to VR when ready to taxi. No AI traffic, no live weather, nothing in community folder.

Tried a Cessna 172 flight (I have the WT g1000 NXI mod which is installed via content manager, not in community folder) out of a local airport and amazingly, no CTD’s. A very short flight, but progress.

Changed to the TBM 930 out of Oakland airport, a flight I had tried three or four times yesterday always getting a CTD before getting off the ground. No CTD and had climbed to 10,000 ft before I quit. The stock TBM is a bit of a mess IMHO, the FMS is finicky, pushing the heading knob doesn’t seem to align the heading bug, and of course no VNAV. But it flies.

I am now going to add mods and other features like live weather back in one at a time and see if my luck holds.

The only other observation I have is that the graphics and performance don’t seem quite so good, but then even if that is the case I’d prefer to be able to play the game than not.

I am not proposing this as a fix for anyone else considering the time it takes to install from scratch, as there would seem to be quite a few different things that have been causing CTD’s, just sharing my experience so far.

Oh, and edit - The altimiter seems to be fixed, at least it is correct for me now.

1 Like

Update 2 - Adding the Working Title G3000 mod was fine, flew from Oakland to Reno, no CTD, but the game froze and became generally unresponsive as I was shutting it down, the flight and taxiing were all fine.

I have exactly the same problem. Occasionally, I can successfully switch to VR (Reverb G2) but mostly the sim freezes.