A very basic question about Rudder Pedals

No - was meaning generally. This thread has been pretty good … some are much less polite… and pretty harsh on people coming new to flightsimming

Thanks for pulling this up - not pointing fingers here.

Topic just reminded me of the tale above … happy memories!

1 Like

I’m usually trying to be helpul, but not being an American, I can easily be perceived as less polite and harsh.

2 Likes

Yes it is odd at first that left push turns you left but that is the way it is when you are learning to fly and taxi out for the first time.
The Logitech joystick twist action to simulate this you need to tick the reverse axis box.
Your next action to learn is the ball in the middle turn and slip gauge.
If the ball is to the left of centre then a left kick will put it in the middle.

1 Like

You will always find a few who like to respond in a condescending and dismissive tone

If anyone is experiencing something like this, that would go against the Code of Conduct, feel free to report this to a moderator :face_with_monocle:.

2 Likes

It’s not odd when you watch a small airplane up close.
The most basic form of rudder control is a cable which is connected to the left pedal and runs along the fuselage to the left side of the rudder.
The same for the right pedal and the right side of the rudder.

It’s identical on RC aircraft and the rudder servo.

It may initially seem backwards but pushing on the left pedal pulls on the left side of the rudder which kicks the tail right to yaw the aircraft left.

I really have to recommend using the correct directions instead of reversing them. In short order you get used to the arrangement and it becomes second nature.

Learn it and practice it backwards, and if you ever get into a real airplane to fly it you would even be dangerous because you can’t reverse actuation there.

3 Likes

I both fly and play fps and have been flying long before fps games used a keyboard and mouse (hell, before you could even look vertically) and I don’t use reversed controls in fps. Up is up, same as it is on a desktop.

2 Likes

I shall, because I don’t want to make it harder for myself in the long run by adding complications. :grinning:

1 Like

Nobody seems to have commented on the X-box compatibility??? I can’t answer your question, but I’ll bet they work out fine. Hope it works for you. I have the same pedals working with the PC version.

I see where you’re coming from…

But what happens if you turn your right hand down (as in ‘pedal down’).

Voilla!

I like it though… it’s your airplane, so peddle along your way :smiley:

1 Like

The ‘correct’ method as described above works great in ‘Star Wars Squadrons’ (which is keeping me entertained until Xbox MSFS launch day) so all is good. :+1:

They will work on Xbox ONLY if you have the “T.Flight Hotas One”.

They only work on Xbox if you connect it to a Xbox compatible Thrustmaster Joystick.
Its wrong to assume that PC hardware will work on consoles. Thats why most periperal manufacters have different versions for PS4 and Xbox and rarely cover both. Because every Peripheral needs a “chip” to be compatible either with PS4 or Xbox. PC Only peripherals will not work on either console.

1 Like

Thank you. I do have the “T.Flight Hotas One”. I found it a little confusing to be honest so I went for the most obviously mentioned (and reasonably priced) HOTAS for my new hobby.

The Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals (and this was confirmed in the handbook) work with the HOTAS Xbox One and HOTAS 4 (and PC I’m sure). Oddly, the Xbox wasn’t mentioned on the outside of the box nor in the product details where sold.

I can see no sign that Thrustmaster make separate Rudder Pedals for PS and Xbox.

I’ve probably made that unnecessarily complicated, I can see why people could easily make mistakes.

Yeah, then you are (probably) good to go, as i would assume that Xbox One hardware will be compatible with Xbox Series X|S. But no guarantee… Its not officially compatible with the new Xboxes. So theres a slight chance that none of your peripherals will work. Unless there was an official statement about that, but i dont follow the Xbox news.

EDIT: Its OK, T.Flight Hotas One will work on Series X|S as stated on thrustmaster website. Lucky you :slight_smile:

I actually changed SW Squadrons controls to be more like an aircraft. Roll on the stick’s x axis and pedals for yaw.

1 Like

I specifically went for one of the sticks that Jorg Neumann mentioned in an interview was compatible. So I have no doubts that it’ll work just fine. :grinning:

yeah, i just edited my post above. It is confirmed to work :ok_hand:

1 Like

Darn it, that’s mighty tempting… :grin:

Welcome aboard flight MS2020…and Yes. Really. :slight_smile:

Left foot forward - Turn (yaw) left
Right foot forward - Turn (yaw) right

Stick left - Turn (roll) left
Stick right - Turn (roll) right
Stick back - pull nose up into sky
Stick forward - push nose down into ground.

I’ve not played Star Wars Squadrons yet (although I did pick it up in a steam sale) so I can’t speak for the control setup. But…it’s a space sim-cade so there may be some differences…
I believe that War Thunder is on Xbox. You could give that a spin. (If the Xbox version supports joysticks etc) - the general aircraft controls will be the same in both War Thunder and MSFS2020