A word to the wise: don't mess with your joystick sensitivity settings

Yeah fellas, I got one for you and it’s not going to be an angry rant , more like a word of caution from an old man.

If by any chance you get the urge to mess with your sensitivity settings for your joystick; if you happen to be using a Logitech X56 HOTAS… You really should know what you are doing.

Let’s just say, That I ended up having to uninstall, I’m going to defrag the hard drive and then I’m going to reinstall from scratch the entire thing.

One thing that they need to do and I may post this part in the part of the forms, to suggests to the developers to do this and that is for them to have the ability for you to delete a saved profile in the controls section.

because I ended up with 6 of them and couldn’t remember which one was which and now I had delete everything and start over.

Oh the joys of gaming…:roll_eyes:

in the controls menu you can delete all your controller profiles except the default one (which you can’t change).

From your post it is not clear if you tried that…

1 Like

Here’s the problem I didn’t see where to do that.

A warning, control schemes are saved in the cloud so even if you reinstall not just MSFS but Windows as well you may still end up with what you have now.
Also defragging isn’t going to do anything whatsoever.

2 Likes

A word to the wise: Please don’t re-install the whole game just to try to delete a messed up controller profile :wink: (which gets saved in the cloud anyway, so you will still have it after re-installing)

Click PRESET MANAGER

And then the trash can

1 Like

If you do it using what experts call “the right way”, there’s no problem at all with an X56. I used one from shortly after the sim launched until a couple of weeks ago when I got a Honeycomb yoke. All those painful extra steps you performed were pointless.

You basically ignore the Logitech programming software, as it’s basically a dumpster fire. You set your sensitivity in the stick controls in the sim. It’s really not rocket science. You set a small dead zone of 5% to prevent unintentional motion on the axes. Set sensitivity as you prefer. In my case, that was -50%, but that’s up to you. The other controls are really not even necessary.

That function’s been in the sim since launch. You just have to use it. It’s the Preset Manager, and it’s at the bottom of the control config screen.

Please do not defrag an SSD. They are meant for such things! This function for SSDs is built in to Windows and should not be performed manually. Search for “SSD +Trim” (not in this forum!) if you need/want more info.

1 Like

Funny, I do it all the time with Dfraggler

I don’t do it every day. But once every other week or so. I do it and it defrags fine and my drive has not failed.

now if I did it every day I could see why. but every other every other week or something like that I do.

I must have gotten lucky because it hasn’t harmed my drive at all. (Knock on wood…or um, metal? :yum:)

Below is a good, fairly recent, article on this subject. The two main reasons not to defrag an SSD are: 1) seek time will, by definition, remain unchanged after an SSD is defrag’ed, there is no performance gain, and 2) writing to an SSD affects its life span and defrag effectively re-writes the entire drive.

The good news is that, if you are using Windows for the defrag, Windows knows its an SSD will not do the job traditioinally. I don’t know about 3rd-party defraggers. To keep this post relevant, isn’t flying amazing!! I still am in awe that mankind knows how to do this efficiently and safely.

To be fair, TRIM <> defrag, but they are both used to improve performance, but go about it in different ways.

There are some good pages on this here:

Ah that doesn’t sound fun! If you’re scratching your head over something there’s lots of helpful people on this forum, just jump on here! Would have probably taken less time than a reinstall :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try to understand what others have explained, do not defrag SSDs.
The data blocks are managed by the SSD electronics, they are not where the OS thinks they are.
By defragging you are trying to implement a HDD logic for sequential reads where SSD electronics ensure you have distributed reads from NANDs across the memory banks.

OK maybe I won’t do that anymore the problem is that optimization that windows does doesn’t seem to do anything And if I don’t do it that drive seems to run slow

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.