A320 Autopilot knobs

What types of knobs control the altitude & heading? It seems that these knobs include a momentary switch, and a toggle switch as well. I am trying to google these knobs but have no idea what to call them. I would like to have these knobs instead of having to install push buttons into my panel, wasting space.

Thanks!

@DaBigBoy5047
You can pull them out (selected) or push them in (managed).
They stay in either position.

1 Like

Gotcha, It appeared in MSFS as if it was toggle switch/encoder.

Thanks!

1 Like

I also want to know what size LCD display to use to display Autopilot alt, heading, etc. Itā€™s hard to find measurements on panels in the real thing. On google search, it appears that the best ones might be a 40x2, but I donā€™t know if that will be wide enough.

Still unable to source these. What do you call these knobs exactly? Found a rotary encoder with switch pack on ebay but will not buy unless I know for certain I am looking at the right knobs cor my project.

Thanks!

I was searching for them, I dont remember but I think I did find something wih the name "Push pull rotary encoder. Most of them and only push encoders and they could also do the job, not that realistic then if you bound some other button to do the pull.

1 Like

Sorry, missed your reply. I have no idea how these are being called. Airbus calls them ā€˜selector knobsā€™.

1 Like

No idea where to buy it but maybe you build your own:

That is one heck of a creative way to do it! Unfortunately, I am not not that kind of person, so I will have to think of some alternative way.

1 Like

Pulled out my arduino kit and didnā€™t realize it contained a switch on it. Perfect! Wired it up to the Mega and configured it via Mobiflight and the rotary encoder now tunes my Altitude perfectly.

Iā€™d like to use the switch on the rotary encoder to change between managed and selected modeā€¦ I figured out the values outputted in Mobiflight, but in MSFS2020 events there is no conditional values. Can anyone suggest anything?

On a separate pushbutton I was able to configure AP 1 to toggle between on and off, due to it being an fsuipc offset.

Quick little update: Knobs are now working, thanks to MobiFlight, and switches too! It took a countless number of views on MobiFlight videos but the switches on my encoders can now toggle between Managed & selected mode.

The only thing that Iā€™ve noticed is that whenever I click the mouse to set VS Managed/Speed mode, FSUIPC spams VS_SLOT_INDEX_SET, which locks my VS Knob, until I switch it again to set ā€œAP_PANEL_VS__ONā€. Has anyone else had this happen to them before?

I am currently running on the FlybyWire A32NX.