A320 banks left or right by itself, with autopilot on

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and add-ons?

NO

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

NO

Brief description of the issue:

The problem has become more frequent and is unfortunately difficult to reproduce. I am currently flying with the A320neo from Hawaii to LA, IFR. With activated autopilots, I should gradually climb to cruising altitude. I set the altitude from 23000 feet to 32000 feet. The Airbus starts to climb. I get up briefly to get my coffee. I come back and see how the Airbus has tilted to the left and is descending. I grab the controller and activate the cursor mode and click somewhere. The A320neo then reacts immediately, tilts back to the right and follows the route and the instruction to climb again. The problem accompanies me since last year and was almost solved in the meantime. But now it is with every flight.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Have this on the TBM 930.

With autopilot in cruise the plane tilts to the left until bringing up cursor mode which immediately corrects the plane.

2 Likes

same phenomenon, different plane :man_shrugging:. please do not forget to vote. otherwise the topic will not be observed…

2 Likes

Hello! We are looking into this issue - are you flying with a gamepad?

Thanks!

Hello Jummivana. I play with the Microsoft Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, connected are also the TB Velocity Flight One and the TM TBR Hotas/T.Flight Rudder Pedals. All with the latest firmware

Update: I forgot to mention the AXAIR MIAP

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Are you able to repro this issue with the Elite disconnected?

I think I had this a while back and it may have resurfaced in the beta.
Check sleep/hibernation settings and in your usb properties for each connection.

When the Elite controller is off/rest mode, the phenomenon has not happened to me yet. If I had to guess, I would say it is related to the “free movement” in the cockpit. That was the only thing I did in the cockpit before the A320 became “independent”. But it is only a guess. I have managed to record a video. However, it was so fast that I could only start the recording when the A320 was already turning to the right. But you can clearly see that the AP is still active and the A320 still turns away from the intended flight path. Until I activate the cursor mode. Then the :airplane: turns back to its path :man_shrugging:

Here the Video
click me

I think so too.

Thanks for the tip. If you can now tell me where I can find these settings on the X-BOX X I would be very grateful. :wink:

Ah! you raise a good point … maybe mentioning Xbox in the title might have saved my embarrassment.
:flushed:

my question was also not entirely serious :upside_down_face: :smiley: :innocent:

1 Like

Because the issue does not reproduce when you turn off the Elite controller, we suspect it may be controller drift. One thing you could try to help mitigate this is to increase the deadzone of the affected axis in the Sensitivity settings, Could you try this out and see if the issue is lessened at all? Thanks!

Thanks for the tip. I had actually changed that but already last year after it occurred the first few times. All settings have a death zone of 3%-14%. Correct me if I’m wrong but if it was a controller drift the AP would disable itself right? But it does not.you can also see in the linked video

Last I tested, the sim A320 only disables the AP once you exceed approximately 30% stick deflection. Below that it will override the AP without disabling it.

2 Likes

I’m not on beta but this kinda thing occasionally happens to me since forever. For some reason when it does, it only does it when I click into cursor mode. I’ve never had it just “go rogue” out of nowhere though. I know my control has a bit of drift but it doesn’t effect me in the way where it would make a drastic bank like what’s been hinted at.

1 Like

i had never tested this before. thanks for the info.

well described. that is exactly how it is

if the drift is very subtle the autopilot will not disengage. It takes a very abrupt, and continuous pressure on the controls for the AP to disengage - currently this is what the test team has seen related to this thread but let us know if this doesn’t line up with what you are experiencing!

it happened to me again yesterday. i just “programmed” the mcdu during the flight. when i went back to the normal view, looking out of the cockpit window, the a32 was already leaning to the left again. then the old procedure again. cursor mode activated-deactivated and the a32 followed the flight plan again.

1 Like

I think I have found the “error”. it is so that this phenomenon only occurs when you are “busy” in the cockpit. That means when you move or turn something in the cockpit. If you now work fast on the controller (combination of moving in the cockpit/looking around/activating the cursor mode and moving the cursor) it can happen that you move the left stick, which also controls the plane, minimally in one direction and activate the cursor mode without stopping. This creates a slight drift that does not deactivate the AP but causes the aircraft to leave the route. I have been able to reproduce this any number of times. It would be good if others could test it. Just move the left stick on the controller minimally in one direction, hold it and activate the cursor mode at the same time. I think if you swap the function of pressing the left stick with the right stick, there should be less problems to move the plane unintentionally when you go into cursor mode. Is currently everything on the left stick.

2 Likes