A320 Flaps during take off and Auto Pilot

In general at what altitude level should the flaps be retracted during takeoff and also what altitude should the AP be turned on in a A320 bus?

1 Like

That is kind of hard to say, many airlines have different procedures on when to engage autopilot. Some do it right away while others wait it out until a specified altitude and such. For flaps I seen a lot use the set maximum flap speeds that is indicated by the A320 on its placard and PFD to retract flaps, so depending on what flap and slats setting you are using, you will want to retract it before reaching that maximum speed.

1 Like

You could add the A320 in your title so that the non A320 simmers would know to not need to open your Post.

Flap retraction and deployment are based on speed, not altitude.
Here is a good article on Airbus Take-off and Flaps
Control your speedā€¦ during climb | Safety First.

1 Like

What about autopilot engaged?

That is a matter for individual airline practice.
It can be put on fairly soon.
The minimum altitude at which it should be put on is 100 feet agl.

1 Like

Depends, really and itā€™s very subjective from pilot to airline proceduresā€¦ For me personally, I always retract my flaps during take off when my airspeed has reached the S speed on the PFD airspeed indicator.

Then when the LVR CLB is flashing on the FMA, I pull the throttle back to the CL detent.

Once I think everything is stable, I engage Autopilot. This is a video of me taking off, for example.

Moved to Basic Gameplay Help.

Nice, ty where do I get the voices from thatā€™s pretty cool?

I use the FS2Crew app to have a first officer with me that helps with doing her own flow as Pilot Monitoring role. Thatā€™s the voices you hear in the cockpit.

Then I also use PACX app for the passengers simulation which includes the boarding music, cabin crew announcements, and the safety briefing.

1 Like

I seen the FS2crew app but which program did you download? There looks like thereā€™s 4 of them?

Why would acceleration and flap retraction schedule be depending on the pilot or airline? Depending on the airport usually NADP 1/A or 2/B are flown (or some variant of this).

Otherwise single engine acceleration altitude is always coming from performance software or tables, you would likely use this acceleration altitude as well on two engines if not subject to noise abatement procedures.

Thrust reduction on one engine to MCT is usually after 5 or 10 minutes take-off thrust (depending on certification). Its not like you can decide whenever you want to start thrust reduction or acceleration yourself.

You can modify thrust reduction (LVR CLB flashes) and acceleration altitudes in the FMS. Flaps should indeed never be retracted below flap / slat maneuvering speed.

NADP 1(A) - noise sensitive areas close by

Thrust reduction: 800 ft (1500 ft)
Acceleration and flap retraction: 3000 ft

NADP 2(B) - noise sensitive areas further away

Thrust reduction: 800 ft (1500 ft)
Acceleration to Vzf, flap retraction: 800 ft (1500 ft)
Acceleration to en-route climb: 3000 ft

Should an engine fail you discontinue the noise abatement departure and accelerate based on performance software / table derived acceleration altitude. Thrust reduction after 5/10 minutes.

For go-around acceleration / thrust reduction is usually performed at 1000 ft on two engines or at missed approach altitude / MSA when on one engine.

Autopilot can be turned ON whenever, as long as its above minimum engagement altitude. This is subject to airline policy on the use of automation and pilot preference.

Also depending on workload, its not good for situational awareness to fly manually in busy airspace and overload the PM by having him punch in all the level and heading changes. As PF you NEVER touch the flight guidance panel or FMS when flying manually so you need to command the PM to do it.

You should retract flaps / slats at the minimum flap maneuvering speed for the next flap setting (ā€œSā€ or ā€œFā€ on the speed tape) not placard speed. Flap extension should be done below placard speed (-10 kts is a good technique) but no later than flap / slat maneuvering speed for the current flap setting.

Regarding the amount of flaps to use, this is depending on runway length versus climb-out. Flaps reduce the take-off distance required but also reduce the climb angle. So generally speaking, when field length limited, higher flap setting will improve max. take-off weight (MTOW), if runway length is not limiting but there are terrain or obstacles, less flaps is better. And everything in between.

If not limited on anything, less flaps is better. Longer runway but less drag, better climb performance, more fuel efficient, better performance should you lose an engine or enter windshear.

1 Like

I use the FS2Crew: Flybywire A32NX Project Edition - FS2Crew on the video, which I acually use it for the A330-900neo aircraft by Headwind as well (albeit with a few workarounds on the minor things that doesnā€™t work).

Iā€™m also planning to use the FS2Crew: RAAS Professional - FS2Crew as well on my next videos.

No yeah, I defiantly am no Airbus pilot in the real world, I was just stating what I have seen others do a lot of the times. I am just currently a commercial pilot who flies his little C172. I thought maybe I can give him some tips on when to do it based on what I have seen from other sim pilots and a couple of real world A320 pilots. I tend to be more Boeing than Airbus tbh but I love both.

1 Like

Hi there,

The ā€˜normalā€™ way to accelerate IRL is to use the characteristc speeds on the PFD, meaning the F and S speeds.

Normal takeoffs are done in CONF 1+F, which is a flap lever position on 1. After LVR CLB on the PFD, reduce thrust to the CLB gate. The aircraft will lower the nose and continue to accelerate. Once speed is above S speed, set flaps lever to 0.

All this and more is covered in FS ACADEMY - JETLINER, and is all based on the real procedures I use as an A320 captain.

Best,
David
FS ACADEMY

This depends on the acceleration altitude set into the FMS. Thrust reduction (LVR - CLB) and acceleration altitude are two separate things.

Hi again,

They are the same for 9/10 airports. If NADP1 is in use, you delay acceleration, but they are almost all the same, as I see daily IRL.

1 Like