A320neo landing question

When I touchdown in the a320, just before that I idle throttle, should I also put the thrusters into reverse to slow down? (when landed)

I also have speed breaks armed.

Just wondered about reverse thrusters and when they should be used on landing if at all?

Thanks

On most jets you can’t select reverse thrust in flight. The thrust reversers are locked.

Immediately at mainwheel touchdown you select idle reverse thrust.
This setting is usually used for the whole landing run. (forward idle at ~60kts)

Once the nosewheel is on the ground you can increase reverse thrust up to max reverse.
For the landing performance calculation reverse thrust is not being used on dry runways.

Btw. reverse thrusters ar usually rocket engines and mainly used on space craft.

1 Like

Excellent, I didn’t realise it was likely deactivated in flight, as when I was pressing button to pull back to idle, I was thinking I might accidentally put throttle into reverse, good to know.

I also used to press breaks button on landing, (breaks used for taxi) but seems I don’t need to do that as auto breaks take care of it.

If you apply manual braking, the autobrakes immediately disengage.

There’s not much to do after touchdown. Crack the thrust reversers open and lower the nosewheel.
That’s it.

can u tell me how to enter VIA or transition give by defult atc when i enter mine it take me to departure aiport pls help me

I don’t use ATC and AFAIK the ‘flyback’ bug is there since day one of MSFS.
If you enter ‘flyback’ into the search page there might be a solution somewhere.

Simply select the current heading before you enter an arrival or a transition and then direct to the initial point of it.

I’m not sure about the Airbus but on the aircraft I fly in real life (ATR and Embraer) the power levers / thrust levers themselves are locked, you can’t physically select reverse until the aircraft senses weight on wheels.

Being able to select reverse in flight for most aircraft is extremely dangerous, there always is a system in place to prevent inadvertent activation (like a simple detent or a air-ground logic activated lock).

There was a very sad Lauda Air Crash in the 80s in Asia or so when one of the reversers deployed mid flight due to a technical design flaw.

So no reversers when in flight.

Also afik a lot of airports prohibit / discourage the use of reversers while landing due to noise abatement reasons.

Just to make sure, the use of idle reverse is mandatory on most jets.
It’s the application of more than idle reverse which is prohibited on many airports.

The DC-8 and Concorde are a few examples for aircraft which can use reverse thrust in flight.
On the DC-8 you can even select max reverse on the inboard engines.

2 Likes