A320NX Taxi Speed

I’ve also experienced this with the mod. At first I though it was a bug, but I actually believe it performs this way IRL. I came across a video last week of a Frontier A320neo taxiing. I noticed that while taxiing from the gate all the way to the runway (it was a pretty long taxi) not once did I ever hear the engines spool up. I also happened to notice that the aircraft seemed to quickly accelerate when it first began taxiing. Now, I will add that with newer aircraft like the A320neo and 737 MAX, the engines are much quieter making them harder to notice any thrust input unlike the 737NG with CFM engines or the older A320’s. The only time you can really hear the engines spool up in the newer NEO’s and MAX’s is during takeoff at full power, obviously.

Secondly I will add this. I’m not sure what type of control system you’re using. For me though, I only use a Loigtech joystick and I have all my controls and key binded. This means I have to use a trigger button for my brakes which is not realistic, but works. I don’t use rudder or brake pedals, but I think in my case (and maybe yours) they would help. The problem I face with my trigger button is that I either have full brakes or no brakes and there’s no way I can adjust brake pressure like if I had pedals, like IRL. So maybe if you let us know what controls you’re using, we can diagnose your issue further. Like I said though, I realized this was the root of my problem with the mod.

Finally, I’m no pilot IRL. However, I understand your point on the FBW mod and taxiing. For me, I also accelerated very quickly while taxiing just like you said, reaching 30-40 knots on the ground quickly. Yes, it feels unrealistic, but again, I’m not a pilot so I can only go by watching videos and flying as a passenger.

True, however I’ve also noticed that on some of the prop and GA aircraft (TBM and Grand Caravan), they seem to taxi quickly and accelerate, forcing me to use brakes a lot.

I wonder why a few default planes taxi this way while the rest feel like taxiing through quicksand…

1 Like

It is not uncommon to ride the brakes in the A320 and monitor brake temps prior to take off. Have personally witnessed hot brakes just taxiing alone - especially if you are light enough - you’ll realistically expect to ride your brakes during taxi. The FBW mod simulate this pretty accurately, I would consult with your cousin on the specifics.

1 Like

That’s a known issue, turbo prop engine logic is terrible and is scheduled to be looked at.
See item #6

https://www.flightsimulator.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/GS-12.17-bugs.jpg

It’s like that on many planes. The stock DA62 is a perfect example. You pretty much have to firewall the throttle just to get it moving. The DA62NX mod makes many changes, including reducing ground friction, which gets it moving a lot more easily and more comparable to real life, at least from what I can tell with videos I’ve watch of the real DA62. You have to give it decent power to get it moving, but nothing like the stock plane.

I suspect this is an issue with several of the default planes in the sim.

So what you’re saying is that turbo prop aircraft aren’t supposed to taxi like that IRL? I was thinking Asobo actually go those aircraft correct.

I haven’t flown the DA62 yet. However, another perfect default aircraft example of having to firewall the engines to taxi is the 787 (and 747 if I’m not mistaken). I really haven’t flown either much. However, yes, ground friction being set too high seems to be an issue.

However, not to get off topic here, but like I said in my post, the A320 really seems to have a totally different issue. Before when the sim first released in August, ground friction seemed to be the issue for the default A320. However, as I said before, I’ve noticed since the USA update, the default A320 is nearly impossible to climb to high cruising altitudes. I’ve had issues with this since where above FL250, it is really hard to climb higher and takes a good 30-40 minutes to reach anything above FL300 and FL350. So now I’m suspecting that there is an overall power issue with the default A320 as a whole, not just ground friction. It really shouldn’t take that long to reach say FL380, especially if I’m light. Again, don’t mean to get off topic here, but there seems to be more than just a ground friction issue with the default A320 currently.

You got it!

For the Airbus it is realistic to taxi at idle thrust, maybe some breakaway thrust is needed when heavy, otherwise taxiing is normally performed at idle thrust.

For the turboprops its not realistic though, ground idle usually is close to zero thrust. I haven’t flown the Caravan or TBM but I did fly the Kingair, its not gonna move in ground idle. Also other turboprops I’ve flown generally have a propeller pitch of -6 degrees at ground idle which is close to zero thrust.

2 Likes

Ridding the brakes is never a proper procedure, its normal to let the aircraft accelerate to 20 / 30 kts and then brake to 10 kts and repeat. This way cooldown periods are created instead continually heating the brakes.

Contrary to steel brakes, on carbon brakes brake wear is primarily influenced by the number of brake applications rather than the kinetic energy absorbed. Therefore its better to use fewer firm brake application rather than multiple light ones with carbon brakes.

In any case, ridding the brakes is never a good procedure, the brakes can only convert a certain amount kinetic energy into heat, if the brakes are already hot from ridding the brakes during taxiing they won’t be as efficient in case of a rejected take-off. It also increases brake wear.

Interesting. I figured it’s more normal for airliners and jets than props. Even in my days of flying Cessna’s not too long ago, they never taxiied on their own without a little bump of power. Now, of course that was a Cessna, but larger turbo prop’s could be different I suppose.

This is basically the approach I’ve had to take when taxiing with the mod and with my control setup.

However, I can’t ever remember as a passenger feeling the brakes applied every few minutes while taxiing. Not saying it’s not proper procedure, but I’ve just never noticed it IRL.

Right - in perfect conditions it is not the best procedure, you’re not going to get to 20+ knots at JFK for example before getting close to a hot spot, aircraft or taxiway very often. When I meant that riding the brakes is normal, I don’t mean to a point where you’re going to run into safety and/or SOP breaches, merely that utilization is normal and it is not uncommon for an A320 to have hot brakes during taxi in any case. Carbon brakes are still optional and not always picked by Airliners over the (initially) less expensive steel counterpart. Brakes can be ‘hot’ without also interfering with RTO performance, so long as they are not overheating.

The document did say “As 30 knots are exceeded with idle thrust, apply the brakes smoothly and
decelerate to 10 knots, release the brakes and allow the aircraft to accelerate again.” It says “smoothly”, so I wonder if pilots apply the brakes smoothly to bring it down within a longer timespan. Like within 30 seconds. So slowing down 20 knots over 30 seconds period, which means about decelerating at 0.67 knots per second, which is probably why passengers can’t feel it that much.

There’s also alternating left and right braking stated on the document, which I think make sense too.

Possible, I would also think it should be smooth.

As for alternating left and right braking though, wouldn’t that cause the aircraft to slightly veer? I mean I know pilots use steering tillers when taxiing on the ground, but I would still think that going full left or full right would cause some minor veering with the rudder. Of course, this would not be possible on smaller prop aircraft that don’t have steering tillers.

They can compensate using the nose wheel steering to keep the wheels in-line with the taxiway. It’s shouldn’t be an issue. And they problably don’t apply full left or full right brakes alternatively. Probably a light touch to the left… then light touch to the right, while keeping the nose wheel straight.

I don’t think they need to use the rudder since the aircraft isn’t fast enough to have an effect from the rudder. So just on the nose wheel steering just next to the sidestick.

I guess I’ll report a bug for my 70 kts in the King Air at idle trust. Thanks! :slight_smile:

This has been done to death, if your unfamilar with the FBW A320, the real aircraft with the CFM engines does exactly that, ie accelerates at idle taxing. FBW have nunerous REAL A320 pilots on board advising them on EXACTLY how the REAL A320 behaves in all aspects.

This is begining to look like some witch hunt to try and undermine the progress of the A320NX goodluck with that.

really your moaning about something thats FREE.

1 Like

It wouldnt matter if you go back to the default it now does the same thing