A32NX FBW Mod Won’t Follow Flight Plan

I’ve had the FBW mod installed for the last couple of days. Yesterday, I completed two long haul flights, KLAS-KATL and KATL-KDEN, with no problems. Both flights were flawless and the mod worked really well and followed the flight plan, which I expected it to since I assumed that bug had been fixed a while back. Just when I was really starting to enjoy the mod and get back into MSFS after my short hiatus, it suddenly decides not to follow the flight plan. Just now, I go to fly another flight from KDEN-KDFW and when I went to set AP, it just continued to fly straight, eventually way off course, and not follow any waypoints along the route I built.

Mind you, I did absolutely nothing differently between either flights from yesterday. I set up my flight plan and aircraft the same exact way for every flight, but today it just decided not to follow the route. I even replicated the same exact flight afterwards and gave it a second try with no success again. I’ll also add that I checked my dead zones and they hadn’t changed any and they’re all set to 15% so it can’t be that. I know that’s been a common issue in the past. What could’ve caused this?

There could be multiple things that could happen in this case. Do the usual housekeeping checks just to make sure none of the settings have changed overnight for whatever reason:

1. Flight model to modern.
  2. All assists to Hard/True to Life.
  3. AI Copilot is off at all times.
  4. 5% or more deadzone to all your axis controls. (which you have confirmed that this is still the case, so that’s okay)

Once all that’s done, there might be other things that came into play.
What’s the status of your FCU? and the FMA? Are you on selected heading by any chance? if the heading mode is set to HDG then it won’t follow the flight plan, because the autopilot is keeping the heading. What’s your ND look like, is the line continuous green or broken lines? Then what’s your FMA status? Is it on NAV mode or something else?

There’s so many questions here that we need to ask you as to the state of the flight. (Kinda like NTSB investigator looking at the Flight Data recorder and the CVR to determine what’s really happening). Since you’re very active in this forum posting topics with questions and issues that you experienced. It’s difficult for the rest of us to actually determine what’s happening to you due to the limited information that you provided. So my suggestion is, whenever you feel like you’re having issues, take a short video and post it to Youtube. Or at the very least, take some screenshots of the conditions of your cockpit and all its instruments. It would help us to be able to assist you.

1 Like

Which version of the mod are you using Fearless?

I’ve had the same experience with the custom fbw mod every time I’ve tried to use it. The regular dev mod has worked flawlessly for me.

I’ve had no problems with the CFbW version at all.
Being around this forum, you may have seen these, but have you tried the above recommendations?
A lot of times these steps will solve any strange A/P issues.

From what I have tried (I haven’t used the stable-ever) I prefer the CFbW version.
It also seems that most RL pilots here seem to prefer it as well.
Remember, both the devel. and the CFbW are upgraded at least once a day, so occasionally you will run into an issue, because it is a work in progress.

I don’t use the stable version. But the custom FBW just doesn’t work for me. I’ve done all the house cleaning and double checked all of my settings, etc. But no luck. I keep trying it hoping it will eventually work. More than anything I’d just like to see Asobo do some more fixing of the basic sim and better optimize their coding so that we can see better overall performance.

I’ll do a livestream and full recording with the exact same route that you do. And I’ll post it here if that helps.

@Neo4316 who are you talking to regarding the flight? I’ve had my problems on every single route I’ve tried (approximately a dozen different flight plans created using Navigraph and making allowance for weather at both the departure and arrival airports). I’ve got no doubts that it works; just not on my computer, which is the top of the line Dell Precision workstation that I’ve upgraded ram to 64gb and a RAID-5, M.2 SDD using 4 Samsung 870 EVO PRO SDDs. My GPU is the bottleneck but because this is a laptop it can’t be upgraded; and I don’t have another $5000 to drop on another machine.

I’m talking to OP actually. But you too, I suppose if you are having the same issue as OP does. I don’t think your hardware is the issue here. Hardware doesn’t suddenly make Autopilot not working. your GPU could bottleneck which may result in FPS dropping… but that’s totally unrelated to how autopilot works.

I do agree with Neo, I have seen folks here with a similar rig as your laptop, use the CFbW with no issues.
You did the deadzone thingy, I presume.
When was the last time you tried the CFbW version?

The latest custom version.

Did you add or update anything else to your community folder around that time frame?
Did you shut the sim down between flights?
Are all the steps Neo recommended still in place?
If this happens again, look at the flight director lateral navigation bar (the upright part).
Is it showing in the center of the PFD, or off to one side?

I’ll plan on installing the latest dev. version today and see if it works for me. As I said, I never updated anything else or changed anything in my community folder. I also didn’t restart the sim or anything and I have my deadzones set to 15%. Switching to a different version of the mod is all I can really think of to solve it. Also, my flight model is set to modern and has always been if that helps.

If you want to that’s fine. I’m probably going to switch to the dev. version of the mod and see if that solves my problem.

just one thing I’ve seen is that switching to AP2 stops the bug it seems.

Here’s my livestream. So far I’m following the flight plan.

Check and ensure your assists haven’t changed, (I doubt if they did, but you should check, some individual settings were changed by MS).

If they are all OK, keep you eyes on the PFD bars.
If they go hard to one side or the other and the plane continues to go off course, this is indicating that the A/P is trying to bring the plane back, but something else is interfering with it.
If so, we need to figure out what that is.

1 Like

So I switched over to the latest dev. version and it is currently following the FP this time using the same exact route from yesterday that I attempted twice from KDEN-KDFW. So far, a flawless flight.

1 Like