A32NX landing speed

I’m in love with this airplane even if I’m just a beginner and here I’m getting a lot of interesting replies and suggestions so I try this one too.
Yesterday I completed a “decent” descent and approach and I attempted a landing that, to me, sounded quite easy and relaxed.
I was almost empty (2 tonn payload and I guess 5 tonn fuel) and I expected the airplane to be light… but not that light… I disengaged Autopilot and autothrottle at 400 feet above runway and 120 knots, poor wind (less then 5 knots, I don’t remember direction) full flaps, went immediatly on idle with the throttle and while flaring I realize I was climbing…
I engaged speed brakes and yet I managed to put my wheels down far over half of the runway. (in reality I would for sure went around)

At which speed would you expect an A320 to land if almost empty?

I didn’t check the FMC pref about landing because I didn’t know if they were reliable or not…

(P.s. the runway was LIML 36, there A320 use to land every day)

If you’re using the stable version, delete it. And install the experimental custom fbw version. That should solve the flight dynamics issue.

Your approach speed in relative to your weight should be automatically calculated by the MCDU. The VLS is your minimum allowed speed before you stall, and the Approach speed or VAPP on full flaps configuration should generally show 5 knots above the VLS. Just follow that speed and you should be good.

Myself, personally, though I always set my VAPP to be 10 knots above VLS. For me it’s a lot more stable and easier to land. Here’s a recording of my landing just a few hours ago.

I’ll probably follow your suggestion and use the experimental version. I see you were landing at 135kt… I guess you had some payload but get under 120 looks really super slow to me… I’ll check the FMC data then.

I also noticed you were using MSFS ATC… I guess they improved a lot with the last update. I’ll give them a chance…

I second his comments above. The vanilla fly by wire logic from Asobo is trash. If you want what the real jet does, get the custom FBW version. Flaring is much more improved, prior to the latest update. I haven’t tried it since Asobo changed the flap coefficients. I’m not sure if FBW has yet updated their mod to meet this change as well. However, all in all, the FBW mod is the way to go.

I usually fly on the default payload. I don’t like changing those values at all. I only change the fuel load when I’m flying longer route, otherwise flying on anything below 3 hours flight, I keep everything payload and fuel at default.

So are you saying that the custom/experimental version is the most realistic? I’ve been going back and forth between the dev. and now custom version trying to figure out myself.

Well I don’t have enough knowledge to say it’s the most realistic… I leave that to the actual pilot or engineer to say. But it does feel like it has a better handling for me compared to the Dev or Stable or even vanilla version of the aircraft.

Plus, since I’m using the Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant. I don’t really have a choice anyway, since the experimental version is the only one that can fully utilise my TCA quadrant and the throttle detents.

1 Like

Yeah, makes sense. I couldn’t really tell between either version, but like I said I’m currently using the custom version.

I’m not expert either but just made a wonderful Milan-Venice flight and it has been the best ever flight on an Airliner ever to me. Great ship. I love the experimental one