Absoultely awful performance on lowest settings using 3070

No you’re wrong.
The headset uses a 1440×1600 LCD panel for each eye for a combined resolution of 2880×1600 .

At 90hz the Index needs less pixels per second than my 4K monitor at 60hz.

Yet it runs far less FPS as I stated earlier.

I assure you I am not wrong here bud.

You are confusing the panel resolution with the render resolution. VR headsets ideally render at a higher resolution than the panels (about 1.4x the linear resolution values) as they have to apply barrel distortion correction to the image before sending it to the headset. Your index at 100% in steam is rendering at 2016x2440 per eye as I stated.

Feel free to check it yourself in steam, it’s right there for you to see if you go to custom resolution slider and set 100%. Alternatively just do a small bit of research on how VR headsets work and barrel distortion correction.

1 Like

Did you tunned the oculus debug tool?

Both the cockpit and environment are modelled in 3D space. So this won’t improve rendering time but reverse engineering what you just said and theoretically you can get a smoother cockpit experience if the simulation runs independantly of the rendering engine therefore allowing the cockpit to refresh without the need to know where the plane exists as this is computed relative to the player. Very Interesting, I would hope MSFS does something similar.

Why would they not render native? No wonder nothing looks crisp. Non native res is bad on every panel ever made.
Sounds like a failure of a design.

Anyway if you’re correct, I can not check as I am a thousand kilometres from my PC, that means Index requires a little more pixels per second than my 4K monitor.
But i when I use smoothing I only need 45fps which is half, which is heaps less. Yet I still only get about 30fps.
Where as I get 50-60 on the monitor.
Still a huge fail.

They have botched the implementation.
Aerofly FS2 I get 90fps in ultra in VR.
Thank you Vulkan and a game built for VR from ground up.

Not a case of if, I am correct. If you are away from your PC then perhaps a cursory google of valve index steam render resolution would find the proof you desire.

It’s not a failure of design, and it isn’t why nothing looks crisp to you. Running at the higher render resolution would actually makes things more sharp as it reduces aliasing (look up super sampling).

Again, it is mostly to correct for barrel distortion. The game will render at the higher resolution to a buffer, distortion correction will be applied which warps the image so that once you view it through the lens of a VR headset everything will look correct… due to the nature of warping the image you need more pixels to start with otherwise the area that gets stretched in the middle will end up appearing low resolution. That higher resolution pre-distorted image is then sampled and sent to the headset at native resolution, and once it has passed through the lens looks geometrically correct to your eye.

And to add once again, you are comparing the rendering of one viewpoint at 4k to two viewpoints at slightly over 2k each. There is more overhead involved in rendering two scenes and is why there are things such as SPS that exist to try to address this overhead (but come with their own problems).

Is there room for further optimisation in MSFS, absolutely. Hopefully a lot. DX12 especially should help both flat and VR graphics performance with things such as VRS, Sampler feedback etc. However your argument of a perceived lack of VR specific performance by way of comparison to your 4k performance is flawed due to a lack of understanding about how the systems actually work.

2 Likes

There’s nothing flawed about my claim it runs like ■■■■ in VR.

I get 30 fps in VR low to medium settings.
I get 60 fps most the time in 4K Ultra.

Tell me how that’s acceptable?
It should require far less GPU processing power especially when I set the index to 80% resolution scale and 80hz and smoothing.
Yet can’t do it.

I don’t want 90fps, I am happy with 40 or 45 so smoothing can do its job. But I barely get that.
3080 Suprim X OC 2150mhz core.
Ryzen 5600x
32gb DDR4 3600mhz

I’m not saying the performance is acceptable, I’m saying your comparison and expectations relative to your 4k performance was flawed in a couple of key ways and have explained those at length already.

However I would suggest you have some opportunity to improve things because I can run at a solid 30fps with mostly medium/low on a 3070 at 70% resolution on a G2 which is significantly higher resolution than the index (at 100% it is trying to do over 3k x 3k per eye!) take a look at this thread for some settings optimisation advice which will also help with your 3080 (you’ll just have more headroom to turn things up higher or to shoot for 45fps).

1 Like

G2 is a resolution monster for sure, but I didn’t like it. FOV is smaller and made me feel boxed in.

It’s all good thanks for the info but I’ll put MSFS down for a couple years, I prefer to fly helicopters anyway and AF FS2 runs VR perfect.

hi, all with 30xx cards are suffering bad performance in VR due to NVIDIA driver error and are left at the merci of Nvidia to fix it … the’ve been aware at least for 2months now and still we are awaiting a fix to be released. Check out https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/402768/valve-index-missing-dropped-frames-since-nvidia-d/ and make some noise there as well please , so maybe we get heard.

There is a link to “My VR Settings - Index” above, and I’m preparing the article for “My VR Settings - G2” soon. In the meantime, I’ve tried capturing what I do get with the G2 which you might find interesting:

Smooth A320 low level flight over photogrammetry - Through the lens video with the G2 (9700K + 2070S)

does that mean you will stop posting here? :slight_smile:

Up your “anisotropic filtering” as well as “Texture supersampling”. This will make the textures less blurry at a distance. It greatly enhanced the runway view.

On a 1080?? Can’t believe it. I have to crank everything down with my RTX3070 and the cockpit is still stuttering like hell. Can’t believe it.

Guys, I would really be happy to get help. I have a brand new RTX 3070 on my i7-8700k and the Oculus Rift and the performance is really poor, stuttering all over the place especially in the cockpit when I move around. Can’t believe it… Besides: Somebody knows where the FS was installed? I don’t have a WindowsApps folder and a file search found two FlightSimulators.exe with 0 kB size…

Any help is highly appreciated.

VR in general uses 1.3-1.4x screen resolution for image wrapping in order to get effective 1:1 rendering, since the visual area isn’t exactly rectangular like flat screen. Because of all this post processing extras, it is usually more taxing than 4K flatscreen.

What I did not mention in my post was the Oculus Debug Tools. You make the changes in there, and THEN you start up the regular oculus program before starting Flight Simulator. The debug tools reset each time you reboot the computer so you must do this every time.

I’LL SAY THIS AGAIN IN CASE ITS BEING OVERLOOKED BUT TURN OFF VSYNC IN FLIGHT SIMULATOR MAIN GRAPHICS SETTINGS!!!

1.) Make sure you are using at least v24 of the oculus software. I had to tell oculus software to give me the beta versions in order to get that version.(google how to do this)

2.) In debug tool change the first setting to a 1 (default is zero) to use super sampling.

3.) For Field of view (FOV) stencil, turn it off

4.) Set asynchronous Spacewarp to Auto. (I believe this is what minimized the stuttering)

Close the debug tool, start your regular oculus software, then start flight simulator. With my VR settings as mentioned in my earlier post, plus these debug tool settings in this post, I have good presentation in the sim. Also I have an I9-9900K

1.5x resolution of VR at 45fps isn’t more taxing than 4k 60fps. Especially with lower settings.
45fps is because that’s all you need with smoothing / asw.
Still can’t get it, even though I can get 60 fps 4K Ultra.
VR in this Sim is garbage and I can say that because it works so much better in Aerofly and DCS.

1 Like

I’m sorry but I have no idea what you’re talking about. I do have fairly extensive experience with DCS as well (much more so than MSFS), and the best I could do in DCS VR was 80 fps with reduced graphics settings (more often 45 fps in congested areas). I’m playing DCS regularly on my 55 inch LG OLED for this reason and easily gets 100+ fps with max settings in 4K. So VR is more taxing than 4K flat screen.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.