Absoultely awful performance on lowest settings using 3070

Question- How do you fix the box view when looking around? its almost like its not in full view mode. please help

I have rtx 2080 and i7 9700k.
I’m so disappointed from the VR release! expected it to run smoothly and nice but the graphics looks awful, a lot of black space on each side of the vr screen… when turning your head the screen is black on the sides… My computer can handle every game and run it smoothly and nice but this is just so disappointing

and I love vr games and this game in general

Mate, you just need to get used to the vr in this game. It’s vr, of course the graphics are much worse then on a monitor. The black sides are only there when you’re not perfectly centered.

There are pupping up allot of optimalisations, search good and you will have fun.

I run it on my Oculus quest 2 with link cable (rift s then) and it works like a charm with medium settings, ps, play with the settings allot, to find your sweet spot

I run it on a

3900x

2080s (8g)

32 gb ram

I tried to work on the setting a lot! im not expecting it to look like on the monitor. But I do expect to be able to read and see everything in a Okay+ quality.

Any advice on which setting to increase to get a clearer view down the runway?

I have the same problem, on a quite performing system with 2070S and 3900X. Everything is unclear and flickers and stutters, a bit like heated air over a desert road. That happens even when the aircraft sits still on the ground. Turning down graphics settings even further does not help. Must find another solution - as it is, vr is not useable for me… :frowning:

Your settings have made a world of improvement. Thank you for taking so much time.

1 Like

What headset are you using?

This looks like Motion Smoothing interfering and wobbling (typical). This is why I prefer disabling it: I can stand juddering but not wobbling.

Juddering is usually unnoticeable when looking the outside front view, it is only noticeable when looking side ways at low altitude, and when moving your heard around in the cockpit.

Wobbling on the other hand is visible everywhere, behind rotating prop, behind and around the wings deforming it along the way, etc…

1 Like

Do we have any BETA testers that had the Index… Because its bullcrap if they skipped the Index owners in the BETA test… Because Index is having issues. Lots.

Are you reading the posts above prior posting?

Thanks for the hint, I will give that a try then

1 Like

Hi, I have the following specs and settings, I get great FPS, around 25-30FPS in London. Having been a beta tester for a month or so I have literally tried all settings, these are the best I can come up with alongside some compromises vs. what I value most:

PC Spec

• Intel® Core™ i7-6800K running at 4.2ghz (OC)
  • 32Gb 2666mhz DDR4 Ram
  • GTX 1080ti running at 1950mhz (OC)
  • SSD HD
  • HP Reverb G1 v2
    3dMark Fire Strike result : 22147

MSFS VR Settings:-

Rendering Scaling: 50
Anti Aliasing: TAA
Terrain Level of Detail: 95
Terrain Vector data: High
Buildings: High
Trees: High
Grass and Bushes: High
Objects Level Detail: 95
Volumetric Clouds: High
Texture Resolution: Ultra
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Texture Supersampling: Off
Texture synthesis: Ultra
Water Waves: Medium
Shadow Maps: 768
Terrain Shadows: High
Contact Shadows: High
Windshield Effects: Ultra
Ambient Occlusion: Low
Reflections: Low
Light Shafts: Ultra
Bloom: On
Glass Cockpit Refresh Rate: High

Hope this helps, remember, the HP Reverb runs at 2160x2160 so the Rendering Scale needed to be 50 to make this more smooth, if I had that at 100, it would tank my FPS. 60 offers better visuals but reduces the FPS by 3-5FPS so wasn’t worth the extra scale for not much gain. In order to run at 100 render scale, I would seriously have to reduce the visuals on other things, which for me is too big of a compromise. I used to have a Vive so 50 render scale is still better but with all the visual pleasures.

Cheers

Lee

3 Likes

You can really get much more without loosing much in terms of “external visuals” if you’re balancing differently.

As a matter of fact, albeit on a 2070S, I can push the G2 to 110% TAA with super crisp EFIS and very good external visuals 30 miles away at 30fps and smooth / stutter free flights.

I’d suggest you review some of your settings which are taxing performance for not much better visual experience:

Terrain 100%, Objects 100%
Buildings, Trees, Grass: MEDIUM
Clouds HIGH if you can afford, MEDIUM otherwise*
Texture Res: HIGH (no need for ULTRA in VR, not enough panel res anyhow unless Pimax 2x 4K)
Aniso + Tex SS: 8x + 2x (better visually and runs better too)
Tex Synth: MEDIUM (you won’t see any diff)
Terrain Shadows: 256 (you really want some in mountainous regions)
Contact Shadows: OFF (you won’t see any diff)
Windshield: HIGH (you won’t get EFIS reflections inside but you’ll save some fps)

Further rationale and explanations behind this:
My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) 🟢 - #80 by CptLucky8

*I didn’t check how the clouds are rendering with latest update, it was supposed to be same as before update 5, but I did find them better in general at MEDIUM visually in VR during the beta.

2 Likes

if you’re running an oculus rift, update the oculus software to the beta software

Thanks CptLucky8, I’ll try those and see how it looks. There’s so many options and different choices, all a balance of scales. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Lee

1 Like

Great tip, thanks again. Disabling motion smoothing does indeed improve things considerably!

1 Like

It’s working just fine for me - although I had to play around with settings. Mine is a i7 7700 / 2070 Super / 32 GB ram.

Performance is a juddery mess on my RTX3080 + 10700k with a good overclock and 32gb ram on both my index and (even worse) via link and a Quest 2. I’ve flown hundreds of hours in xplane VR which is by no means smooth but this is surprisingly rough. It seems like every 2-3 seconds there is a mega-stutter.

It’s just functional enough to make me really want to fly exclusively in VR, but unless they can really optimize it it’s going to be 5 years before it’s ideal. I hope the reports of it being great with a G2 are true, but I’m skeptical having heard that song so many times with VR releases.

I have been trying all day to get a reasonable performance…I can just about get 30 frames, but a lot of judder and stutter. Its also unpleasant on the eyes, everything look out of focus with low or medium settings. So I have given up for now. Going back to standard beautiful screen flight. Have to say little disappointing, but hopefully over time it will improve.

Mark

I9-9900
64 gb
RTX 2080 SUPER