Accessing 3D models

Does anyone know if there is any way to open and view the 3D models for objects in the game files? Specifically I want to get a look at all the generic aircraft in order to create a list of the real world aircraft they are based off of, I intend to later modify their ATC identifiers as I’m tired of constantly hearing traffic callouts for “generic” on the radio, it kills immersion.

Hey, You just need to open your game folder and find the airplane folder
for example Asobo a320

simObjects > AirPlanes > Asobo_A320_NEO

safe flight :wink:

Yeah, I know how to get to the file, but I’m asking if there’s any kind of software out there that can open them outside the game, or if there’s a way to view the models in the game without organically finding them in the sim.

Do you mean something like this?

It is a free 3d viewer

ModelConverterX | FSDeveloper may suit your needs,

Otherwise look for a package called Blender. There is an extension for one of the versions of Blender that is now being supported by Asobo. Make sure you get all the correct versions or stuff may not work.

But, I think it’s pretty simple…

Single Engine Piston - Bonanza
Twin Engine Piston - Baron
Single Engine Turbo - Caravan
Twin Engine Turbo - KingAir
Airliner Twin - A320
Airliner 4 engine, I forget, but probably 747
Privatejet I think is the CJ4

1 Like

Check out Blender. In the video below, there is an explanation of what plugin you need to install. It doesn’t have to be Blender version 2.9, it can be the latest (I tested it 2 months ago, and it worked with the new version).

I don’t think the Asobo addon works with the absolute latest version of Blender. At least I was reading that a couple of weeks ago. But, heck, it’s worth a shot. Pretty sure the Asobo Addon (I haven’t found it yet) says what version it works with.

You’re mostly correct on the aircraft types, but the single engine turboprop is a PC-12, the twin turboprop is some unholy cross between an Embraer 120 and a CJ4, the twin airliner is an A330, and the 4 engine airliner is an A380. I’m still trying to figure out exactly what the twin turboprop is supposed to be. It has the same nose as the generic CJ4, but other than that, it looks like an EMB-120. The nose and engine nacelles give it a faint resemblance to the Metroliner.

1 Like

What did you end up using to peruse the models?

You’ve inspired me to create a set up of paints of the twin prop with Cape Air paints (I fly around New England), and then maybe create another set of generic ai models saying different types of twins. Sure, the models won’t be correct, but, maybe they’ll work with Live Traffic until some good GA AI products become available. If you’re already doing the same thing, then I’ll hold off.

1 Like

I gave up on it lol, I just disabled the game’s default traffic because it’s terrible, and use FSLTL.

I’m not savvy with 3D modelling or texturing, I don’t make any 3rd party content myself, but please keep me posted, I am intrigued by your concepts.