Add a 60fps or 120fps option for Series X

With the Series X running at 4K 30+ fps and the Series S running at 1080p 30+fps can we get an option on the Series X for 120fps or at least a stable 60fps. Where you lower resolution to like 1080p so it’s similar to the Series S resolution but makes flight and landing a lot more smooth!

Here’s the thing: flight sims don’t need a crazy amount of fps. Obsidian Ant did a comparison between the X/S consoles. The framerates looked pretty solid

5 Likes

The goal is a worthwhile one. Yet the sim is already doing so much work streaming in and rendering so much data that I question whether this is a realistic goal with the current technology? :thinking:

1 Like

i would be happy playing at 720p if it meant i use try 120fps lmao

Unfortunately it doesn’t work like that. FPS is only related to resolution when GPU is the bottleneck. If the CPU becomes the bottleneck resolution is no longer relevant.
So because they cant reach 60fps reliably they decided to go with 30fps for TV’s that don’t support variable refresh rate. Because if you don’t lock the FPS you possibly get tearing and stutters, and Xbox needs a good experience out of the box.

8 Likes

This obsession with fps won’t get anyone a better MSMS: 120 fps is totally useless with a flight sim. Compared to a shooter or other action-based games - which are fast, wild and jerky and have a tiny FoV - flight sims are very very slow but steady and you have a large FoV. So you notice it immediately if the graphics aren’t smooth. With an action game you don’t because rapid movement is almost constant and you can’t determine if your movement was jerky or if it was the game.

Nothing in a normal flight sim is moving fast and your eye won’t be able to notice much difference with higher fps. The human eye will be perfectly comfortable at 30 fps under normal conditions (standard TV movie has less than 30 FPS) and at 60 fps with fast movement (action movie etc). An ego-shooter might profit from faster fps than that, but I guarantee you that in MSFS anything beyond 40fps is not noticable to the ■■■■■ eye. What IS noticable is stuttering, jerky motions, tearing and stuff like that which are often mistaken as being caused by the low FPS, but can come from any number of sources like loading new content, bad coodination between CPU, GPU and RAM, busy servers etc.

So IMHO the goal must be to get the experience more smooth and remove stutters and maybe keep the framerate more constant instead of increasing it.

8 Likes

There’s no way possibly that this will run at 120fps at 4k… high end PCs can’t even keep 4k/60fps consistently.

2 Likes

1 billion percent.

Before I became an avid flight simmer, I thought FPS was everything – and always was chasing it. But 40 fps vs 120 fps is literally no different in the sim. Anything at 40 or higher, at least in 4k HDR, works beautifully.

1 Like

120fps in any flight simulation is useless
60fps on consoles is not realistic

This 100%, mark it as the answer.

@OP, Sorry to say it, but Xbox series X has no power to pull 60 fps at all times at 1080p even.

1 Like

i never said 4k

I would rather play in 4K HDR even if it is 30fps

Series X flight sim is in 1440p but upscaled to 4K

Here’s a thought for today how about 2 x series X’s paralleled up running 60fps @4K. I can dream, can’t I?
Or maybe that will be with a new future model, the XBox eXcess.

No way, 4K on a 55" monitor 2" behind the yoke looks absolutely stellar, you can even lean up close to the TV and you don’t see any texture breakdown inside the aircraft, you can read the smaller labels and numbers just as if you were leaning up to the gauge in a 3d world. Well done cockpits look like an HD poster. 1040 looks horrific on the same tv, like its a 360 game.

And there are plenty of times it’s liquid smooth in less ‘ambitious’ areas, especially before SU9, probably well into the 50+fps, enough to give you a touch of vertigo if you’re behind the motion, when you have to turn your head to see the corners of the screen. . Most of the time it chugs down you can just sense its more because of bad programming, memory leaks and poor utilization/optimization.

The times I tried 1040 I couldn’t even bring myself to get through the full start sequence and wanted out immediately. Got up in the air and it was no faster and chugged in the same areas it did at 4k. It just looks terrible at the low resolution.

Just a small update, MSFS will run on an uncapped frame rate on XSX if your using a VRR screen.