Add Free Flight option to the Arrakis Scenery in the Dune Expansion

The Atreides Ornithopter is a great and fun addition, but it definitely misses a free flight option to explore and enjoy the beautiful Arrakis scenery outside of a “Challenge” with no stressful timers ticking…

Please add a simple “Free Roam Challenge” with no restrictions, other than the borders…
As the cherry on top, if it’s not too much effort, maybe even allow for the use of other aircraft in the scenery.

I would like it too, but remember, this is not a real world so it might be more difficult to recreate an infinite space without ecountering multiple problems. Also, it will require simmers to download the whole map which will be multiple gb.

Overall tho, i like your idea and hope they will do something to add that feature!

I found a way to enable free flight on Arrakis, but you have to edit a flight save (.flt flight)

All the world will be replaced by the Dune scenery, and some assets will load in the middle of the desert. By the way the mission locations are really far away from each other and scattered in the center of africa, so is not really funny flight from one location to the next.

The tutorial is in Italian but with English subtitles.

2 Likes

Nobody is talking about an “infinite space” just make each of the current scenarios available, without the timer and restrictions. Give us a “border” warning if absolutely necessary… But that’s enough to just fly around for fun without the stress.

Maybe the edited flight is already fine for me…

The tutorial flights are located (using Google Map) at 15°47’27.4"N 23°50’18.9"E. This in near the Chad/Sudan South East border. I used it to get the feel of it before diving into the lessons. I think the scenery will load with other Aircraft but haven’t tried it yet.

1 Like

Okay, got it.
I wasn’t sure what you meant in the first place

Thanks for the good info posted in this thread.

DroneFinder posted lat/long for a location that has a landing pad. Are there other identified areas that anyone can share listing their coordinates??? I especially would like to find the location where the “downed pilot” challenge takes place. Thanks!

I agree… Would be awesome to be able to do flights on Arrakis without doing a mission. Perhaps a ‘Arrakis’ sim mode setting?

And maybe (just dreaming here) an update to the Dune package, like another Ornothopter (small one maybe?) or the sleek flying wing thing from the Dukes homeworld. They show them earlier in the movie in Dune 1. Fast things…

The aforementioned hack is easy and does allow free flight in Arrakis. Locating where anything is on the surface of Arrakis is another story. I also noticed - at least the area I’ve been free flying in Arrakis - it’s very “hazy”. I find flying the ‘thopter in MSFS’s regular environment over Wadi Rum, Jordan gives that same terrain feel but with better clarity (plus I’ve been there and it’s fun to see things you recognize).