Add options to use legacy FSX ATC voice for ATC communications

Please add options to use legacy FSX ATC voice for ATC communications, The Azure and other provided are too high pitch and robotic. The FSX voice is more human like unfortunately given how old it is.

The FSX pack (USEnglishBig.gvp) is even included in the fs-base package.

I use the Windows Offline option, which at least gives some variety in the voices. But it only has 3 voices vs. the 10 we had in FSX.

They should have reworked some real voices and chatter in that sound like pilots and controllers. EA Sports uses real announcers, no reason they couldnt do it on FS. I would like to see voice-activated replies. So I dont have to click â– â– â– â– , I can just respond with my mic and it recognizes a few things I say to confirm readback

I think Azure is not bad with the voice sound.
But it could really have more variations.

Hello MSFS220 support, please is there a way to utilize the FSX pack (USEnglishBig.gvp) included in the msfs2020-base package.

its in …C:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Official\OneStore\fs-base\sound\ATC\USEnglishBig.gvp

The voice pack is much better than the Azure and the offline voice. please assist !!!

3 Likes

So it’s included, but not used, and there is no obvious way to use it …?

Strange situation …

BTW: Personally, I have no issue with the quality of the Azure voice system… if anything, it is TOO Clear, when compared with typical, Aviation AM, Bandwidth limited audio.

What is a shame with the Azure Text-to-speech system, is that there is a while range of different English speaking Country Accents available, but MSFS does not take advantage of that variety,

But it is quite unrealistic to have only one voice per frequency, and the controller and pilots all have the same voice. At least with the FSX voices, there was variety and the pilots and controllers all had different voices. I’d happily go back to the FSX ATC system.

You can always re-install FSX (at any time). The same might not be possible for MSFS 202x in years to come.

BTW: I always hear a different voice between Pilots & ATC, although often the ATC is the same voice from position to position and facility to facility …
But at this stage of the ATC evolution, I am happy to hear ANY voice, as opposed to nothing, or the incorrect ATC position taking to me

ie like Tower Vectoring me and clearing me onto an ILS approach, some 15 mile out !! (They must have great “Radar like” eyesight !!)

===============
In the United States, both ATC Tower controllers and Approach controllers play roles in guiding aircraft onto Instrument Landing System (ILS) approaches, but their responsibilities differ.

Approach controllers, operating from radar facilities, manage the airspace around airports. They provide initial guidance to aircraft, including vectors onto the ILS approach, monitoring their descent, and ensuring safe separation from other traffic.

Once an aircraft is within the airport’s immediate vicinity and handed over to the Tower controller, the Tower assumes responsibility for the aircraft’s final approach and landing. Tower controllers clear aircraft for the final approach, sequence them for landing, and provide guidance until they’re handed off to the ground controller after landing.

Therefore, while the Approach controller often guides aircraft onto the initial stages of the ILS approach, the Tower controller manages the final approach and landing phases.

===========

Tower controllers typically do not have radar displays in their towers. They rely primarily on visual observation, radio communication, and other non-radar-based tools to manage aircraft movements in the immediate vicinity of the airport, particularly within the airport’s control zone or airspace.

While some larger tower facilities might have limited radar information available, the primary radar control and guidance for aircraft occur in the radar facilities handled by Approach controllers. These controllers guide aircraft to the airport and hand them off to the Tower controller when they are within the tower’s jurisdiction, where radar isn’t the primary means of managing traffic. Instead, tower controllers use visual observations and established procedures to manage the traffic flow in and around the airport.