Add the developer's name/company’s name in the aircraft selection menu

In the aircraft selection menu, in the aircraft’s title, there is the aircraft’s manufacturer and the aircraft’s name. But what most 3rd party developers, like “FlyByWire Simulations”, “Salty Simulations”, “DC Designs”, “Top Mach Studios”, and others do instead is put their company’s name where the aircraft’s manufacturer is supposed to be. This causes imbalance in the aircraft selection menu and since aircraft are listed alphabetically from the aircraft’s manufacturer, same aircraft from the same manufacturer are scattered in different places in the menu. What should be added is another title/column where the developer puts their name/company’s name. That way developers don’t have to put their name/company’s name where the aircraft’s manufacturer title should be. This should keep aircraft from the same manufacturer next to each other, and keep the aircraft selection menu balanced/cleaner.

as i know this have something to do with the licences.
and of course it have a lot (!) to do with self marketing…

I was wondering about this, too. Trademark law is complex and I’m by far not an expert, but I thought that there’s a lot of opportunity for an add-on developer to infringe with the airplane maker’s copyright / trademarks than just the name, e.g. company logos on the plane / yoke / gauges, typical design elements of the plane, etc.
Why stop at the name?

Please can we clean up the plane names up in the hanger and make them all the same. (Cessna vs Carenado vs Texteon vs Beechcraft) it would be nice to see the same planes together (like the Beechcrafts and Cessnas). Also, maybe make a subsection for the makers / devs instead of the main title. Or different options to separate these.

2 Likes

as more and more studios are creating same aircraft it would be good to be able to see which aircaft is made by which studio when choosing aircraft from the list.

Voted. For sure.

We really just need the aircraft selection section completely revised, at least for FS2024.
There’s more fields that need to be visible and selectable. Here’s some examples:
Developer - Asobo
Manufacturer - Textron
Model - C208 Caravan
Variant 1 - Floats
Variant 2 - Cargo
Livery - Blue Stripes

Some could be combined when displayed, eg:
Asobo Studios
Textron C208 Caravan
Floats/Cargo
Blue Stripes

Users should be able to sort by aircraft type, or manufacturer, or perhaps even via a feature (floats/skis/taildragger/turbine/multi engine etc).

It would simply make it far easier to select the exact aircraft you want, and make it much easier to see which one it actually is.

Of course it would allow grouping to be better too, instead of the current mess we have, where one aircraft is split over 10 different ‘main’ selections, each with their own entry in the main field.

So right now a plane has a section for Plane Maker IE: Boeing and a section for Plane Model IE: 737-600. Can we PLEASE get another section so planes can have the name of the brand that made the addon displayed. We have gone well past the point where planes are available from different addon makers. Not being able to tell which plane is made by who is frustrating. Even worse it forces some makers to just use their name as the Plane Maker when in reality obviously they aren’t the makers of the plane in real life. Its a simple change that would improve qualify of life.

Well it’s up to the devs what they write in those fields. Adding a 3rd one now is gonna make all sorts of mess unless all developers, and freeware creators, update their stuff. Which is never going to happen. I think best to leave it. You can always change them yourself for your copy if you want (and can be bothered, and you’re on PC)…