Addicted to bush trips

Hi! So as per title. This is the quick confessions of an addicted to bush trips. I got some great free ones (this is awesome: Italian Alps Tour 2021 for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS) and also bought some. I really love bush trips - they help discover places and also have this sense of achievement attached to them. You can quit them mid air too which is great.
Do others love bush trips? Is there a better way to discover places around the world in MSFS? One thing I don’t like about bush trips is that they can be a bit clunky, I have the impression that the more POIs there are the more it stutters (if I repeat the same legs in world map - same weather conditions and plane it just works better). Also ATC is a bit of a hit and miss and the bush trips that have audio POIs not always work.

After finishing the trips I have installed I’ll try: https://worldtour.flights/ which seems a really great alternative and much more flexible than bush trips.
Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated!

2 Likes

Here’s a suggestion - go and look at the many, many bush trips that were made for FSX and simply fly those routes in FS2020.

Such as the mining route at PNG (Papua/New Guinea) which you can find in the documents for the PIS Bushtrekker release. I seem to remember trips being available at West End Sea Planes and Misty Moorings and other such sites. Google will help you find them.

https://www.mutleyshangar.com/features/gabe/ebt.htm

I also downloaded about 2 dozen dry & wet airfields from a Greek website taking the virtual pilot all around Greece and the Aegean then made my own route around them.

The beauty of FS2020 is that you shouldn’t need all the scenery downloads to enjoy such flights.

edit: btw another thing you can do is use Neofly and do the emergency missions, where you have to delivery a doctor to the scene of some accident. If you choose to start from an airfield or strip in the ‘bush’ you get accidents simulated within 50 miles and the thing is you have to find your own place to put the aircraft down, within a couple of miles of the incident - it’s really fun for this type of enthusiast and can be quite challenging.

1 Like

Make your own.

Use LittleNavMap to plan the route including the waypoints and POI’s, save the file

Use Bush Trip Injector to load the file and add waypoint/POI text, it will generate the airport images.

Then BTI places the complete Bush Trip in the Community folder and is seen when you select the Bush Trip option in MSFS menu.

There is a thread here on Bush Trip Injector which Thomas updates regularly and adds features such as create your own airstrips or water landing place

I have made and flown a dozen or so.

1 Like

I’m really keen to start with the Bush Trips soon. I have only tried one and that was out of Croatia. It just so happened that my frame rate dropped so low while doing it that I had to abandon.

Assuming it’s not going to happen to all Bush Trips, I’m keen to do them.

Interesting. I’ve never felt any drop of frame rate while doing bush trips both in-game originals and dozens of community built ones although there were inevitable slow downs on the mega cities like NY, LA, etc…

1 Like

Yeah, my drops are seemingly random. I doubt very much that they are tied to Bush Trips.

All great suggestions thanks. I’ll try to make my own trip too, ready made ones have the advantage that they take you to spotlight areas that you might not know. As for the performance I notice a bit of stutter in the ready made ones and quite a bit of degradation in the community and market place ones. Might be a coincidence but if I fly in the same areas in the world map I don’t get them. The creators of the alps trips also said that following user feedback they split the trip into 4 parts otherwise users experienced frame rate drops due to excessive number of pois that’s why I thought it might be connected.

1 Like

I think it can be possible if the flight plan of a bush trip has too many POIs and they have to be projected on the display of the complex glass cockpit aircraft. However, low fps in a glass cockpit is also a well known common issue of MSFS, not specific for bush trip.

Yes, absolutely, in fact I started changing all bush trip planes with analog cockpit ones (cessna 172 in particular). Much better but I still get stutters (which I don’t get with analog cockpit planes in free flight)

1 Like

I see. I also prefer steam gauge planes for bush trip. It’s far more exiting for me finding routes only with a compass and a timer. Good luck with any of your issues.

1 Like

I was just going to ask this question when I saw your answer- I haven’t tried a bush trip but a timer and map must be more entertaining.

1 Like

In case…Here are many scenarios.

Some are exciting while some are very informative.

P.S. I strongly recommend this one. The route is nicely designed to cover most of POIs in the region. However, outstanding is its navlog full of regional information encompassing geology, history, culture, and more. It’s more than flight.

3 Likes

Making your own Bush Trip and you can select any aircraft you want to fly.

My English Lake District one has an iCon A5 as the aircraft and landing on one of the Lakes is the destination of one of the legs.

I had no stutters as such with any of the MSFS Bush Trips but there are issues such as blank Nav Logs, time if day stuck in the dark. There are easy hacks to sort this out and these are documented in other threads

Thank you! I’ll check these out. Any clue how to change the time of each leg? Can it be done in sim or do I have to edit the flt file? I tried some flight plans but MSFS crashes every single time I hit the load/save button. Love MSFS. It’s a troubleshooting sim more than a flight sim.

Depends upon whose bush trip it is, with the MSFS ones you have to edit the file to give the weather option in the top drop down up menu bar.

Changing the weather will give the time slider.

Read the whole of this thread

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/toolbar-missing-and-ability-to-change-certain-weather-settings-missing-when-loading-a-saved-flight/342575/26

1 Like

I would highly recommend those who like this type of flying to purchase Neil Birch’s UK Farmstrips packages. “UK?” you might say, but yes - UK.

A few years back I did a tour of the UK Farmstrips package for FSX by Gerry Winskill and it was just great fun. It took me about 6 weeks, flying every day, and totalled over 1,500 miles. This new one for FS2020 will be much better.

Although, like the old ones, there is an NDB at every strip, I never used them - just navigated by visual means, a road map (now I use the excellent Philips Navigator map book, which has most farm strips shown, unlike the maps I used in those days) or simple de’d reckoning. The strips can be amazingly difficult to actually spot, and many are very difficult to land at with anything other than a microlite - my main challenge for that was seeing what I could manage to land with, in terms of size and weight. A C172 could manage most, but not all.

I strongly recommend giving at least the first package a try - they are about $10 (£7ish) and once you’ve had a go at the first one - around 50 strips included - I’m sure you’ll want to go on to the next set. Of course, it will be much easier in the planes available in this sim - the XCubs can manage the strips quite easily. I would recommend not using it, though and going for the other Cub instead, with no GPS or moving map, it’s much more of a challenge with the navigation and so more fun and more satisfying when you find that elusive next farm strip.

Yesterday I was reminded of how much fun bush flying is when I did a trip from Madang AYMD to DAF, in PNG - just 11 miles distance but spotting the strip was the easy bit!

Spot the clearing - it’s VR so no big nice screenie - but that makes it so much better… (edit - tip, it’s right in front of the nose)

Taking off was even more of a challenge, with 45 lbs overweight and a tall tree at the end of the strip, with a small gap, just enough to fit through to the left side, if you flip the plane to 60° for a few seconds after take-off. Leaving the deck at just 42 knots and with the stall bleeper ringing through my eardrums, it was a very exciting manoeuvre! I recommend having a go yourselves :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is your favourite aircraft? I was hoping the Milviz C310R would be decent but there is something odd with my controls I struggle to even get it airborne at full power and it just doesn´t climb.

I also spent half a fortune on the Corsair F1G but not the most reliable buird and it´s kind of noisy.

I then found some edgley optica from orbx and I was so damaged paying big for payware I thought it looked like a a steal. The helicopter canopy for great view in VR was the main selling point for me.

Quite pleasant to fly it do want to get airborne which I am not used to! I even struggle getting the hawk T1 airborne. However I am sure there is freeware that is of higher quality. The instrument for checking the bank is not operational? Most basic functionality but it´s really fine for it´s purpose and it do fly well. Quite slow of course but when navigating that helps but partcularly being able to spot the ground under you give great vertigo in VR. There is no gps so it´s quite hardcore to navigate.Wonder what similar options there are with these bubble canopies for great VR visibility :slight_smile:

Bush trips in Papua, Indonesia

The impossible bush trips of Papua, Indonesia

Darakma to Yigi airstripa of Papua, Indonesia