Adding head-tracking?

As a newcomer i’m finding VR with the Reverb G2 to be fantastic, but don’t necessarily mean I want 3D all the time.

Today was the first time i tried 2D flight since getting the VR and found it to be very lacking sadly, having to move the view to see buttons and levers that are out of view is a real pain.

Does anyone here use head-tracking as well as VR (not together of course) ??
Can you install head-tracking as well as VR??

Is it the best thing in-between VR and manual 2D??

You can have a head tracking device for 2D as well as VR implemented (of course not in use at same time, but as you mention, you can switch between the two).

I use TrackIR which is a pretty popular one, there are many others some of which are freeware that utilize a webcam, old smartphone, etc…

Tobii eye tracker is another one that has gained popularity.

1 Like

Track IR user here.
I do not want to miss it anymore!
OK, price might be a high at first glance, but:
Bought mine about 7 years ago and it still works fine!

1 Like

I use Tobii with eye tracking turned fully off been great! I’m just waiting on vr tech to improve before I shell out on it waiting to see what lands next generation. The Tobii has been great I went to buy track IR but was sold out so got the Tobii and been great so far once I got it set up how I wanted it.

1 Like

I use an old Android phone and the $10 SmoothTrack app when I want to do face tracking.

1 Like

Can the TrackIR sensor thingy be clipped to a pair of glasses?

Just been looking at comparisons and the Tobii 5 looks good but the TrackIR 5 seems more stable but have to clip that sensor somewhere on the head :slight_smile:

There are two options.

You can go with the regular hat clip which of course attaches to a hat (you can also Velcro it / tape it to headset, etc…).

Then there is the pro version which will clip onto your headset.

Hmm, i never wear a headset, might have to fiddle something or get a hat somewhere i guess.

Something to clip on to glasses would be good

There are bundles with a hat and the clip.
Gamer Set I think these bundles are called.

1 Like

There’s also the significant difference that the pro is an active light source with three IR leds, the hat clip is just a reflector and won’t work as well.

I suppose you could buy headband for the pro clip, at the cost of a few bemused stares.

I have both, and they both work equally well.

I used the Pro Clip initially but then got tired of being “tethered” and have been using the Hat Clip for the past few months.

I find no difference in the experience between the two.

The “gotcha” to both of them is natural sunlight. Once the sun gets bright it wreaks havoc with them and I have to close the blinds.

It’s worth noting that the option I threw out there (SmoothTrack) has the exact opposite consideration. If you play in a dark room, face tracking is more difficult and you want a reasonable amount of illumination on your face for it to work. It doesn’t need to be super bright, but if you like dark, it will struggle.

Hi @DaveJK9173,

I have a Tobii Eye Tracker 5 (and have previously used a TrackIR). For me personally, the Tobii was a gamechanger. I always recommend to new simmers that their first hardware purchase should be a good set of flight controls (stick/yoke, throttle, and rudder pedals), and their second hardware purchase (if not playing in VR) should be a head-tracking system like the Tobii. After you get the configuration and sensitivity options dialed in to your personal preferences, it feels very natural and intuitive to use. I wouldn’t go back to flying without one.

3 Likes

Anyone can try out head tracking for free using an aruco QR code printout and a webcam or a [spare] smartphone. For a webcam you only need Opentrack. Otherwise add Droidcam to your phone with it’s client on your PC (and Opentrack); I believe they now work with IOS too.

For more info google is your friend.

1 Like

Thanks all, great info.

Sunlight is not a problem as my office/games room is on the back of the house and never gets any sun :frowning:

I’ll be trying out some of these ideas too, from what i have read the TrackIR style seems the most prominent/long standing option and the videos on many of the versions do look great.

You might also consider GrassMonkey. He has several models and they run for about half or less than TrackIr or tobii. They don’t need any special software either. I have the Puck and it works fine. It is susceptible to bright sunlight as the others. I solved that with drapes and blinds.

1 Like

I did look but can’t see any in the UK. I did see last night that our local(ish) cash-converter shop website has a TrackIR so I’m popping to town today to have a look.

He’s in West Virginia, but he ships to Canada and U.K. by mail.

EDIT. it does use Open Track which is free.

1 Like

Went to town, local cash-converter shop where i got my x-box from, had two TrackIR 5’s on the shelf, only got one now :wink:

Good price too, mint condition, setting up tomorrow.

2 Likes

You do realise that was probably some thirteen year old’s Christmas present stolen from under the tree and sold for drugs :scream_cat:

Or was that the other one? … Enjoy :wink:

1 Like