Addon or Feature Suggestion: Live ATIS with Live Weather

Hi, where do we submit feature or addon suggestions?

Given that we have live weather, and real ATIS feeds are available over the web, I think it would really cool to have the option to access live ATIS reports from airports if Live Weather and time is suggested.

That would only work if “live” weather actually worked, seeing as it doesn’t, real-world METAR data would be useless.

1. Live weather works pretty well for me. It captured my environment perfectly today, where I practiced a flight, and then flew it for real (KMHT - KBED - KMHT)
  2. I’m not talking about METAR data, I’m talking about accessing live ATIS feeds from those airports that have them (and the tools necessary to capture the relevent information (which essentially is pretty much only the call sign for the particular ATIS feed.

This idea simply wouldn’t work.

“Live” weather, is not truly live, as many people think. It is a representation of the data calculated by the MetoBlue weather modelling engine.

This is one of the world wide atmospheric models used for weather forecasting. These models usually provide hourly data, and whilst great for large scale/macro weather, are just unable to provide highly accurate, location specific weather. Too many factors such as local topography can have large effects on wind, temperatures, air pressure etc.

As long as this MetaBlue system is the base for MSFS live weather, there will be a variation, sometimes small, and sometimes large, between it and the current real world conditions.

Because of this, live ATIS would almost always be different to the weather being generated within the simulator.

In game ATIS/Wx observations should be generated from the weather that is depicted within the sim.

The environment looking right ≠ working live weather. There are quite a few more aspects to the weather than just appearance. And seeing as many of the aspects of live weather are usually incorrect, listening to a live ATIS feed would be useless.

Well, I think your attitude is awesome… Keep at it.
Thanks for the super useful feedback.

Did you guys actually listen to the developer’s discussion? They said specifically that the MetoBlue data is NOT used at airports. The airports get their local weather from METARs where possible.

I went flying today. The weather in the sim I had flown 45 minutes before matched exactly what I saw in the air and at the airports. I really don’t know what you guys want.

I will grant there are DEFINITELY issues with the weather engine today. I expect that in the not too distant future (within the next year?), they will correct many/most of the errors with it and align it to the actual weather. As I noted, this would only work when live weather was used. I’m imagining it would most likely be an addon somebody might develop, although Asobo might take it on?? It really wouldn’t take all that much programming.

I’m not saying it would drive the weather, only that a live feed would be presented to the user. I don’t know that it would bother to use speech to text to give the user a textual reference as well, probably not given the quality of most feeds, but I would imagine it would at least be able to capture the call sign. That’ should be doable. I suppose it would be good to try to capture the runway in use as well, as it doesn’t always align with the prevailing wind (which is what happened to me today).

But then again, maybe speech to text for the whole feed would be worth it. Very likely we’d get some very funny interpretations :slight_smile:

Who knows… maybe it would only work in the US?

Case in point:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/wind-direction-and-runway/316997/9?u=flyingscool5650

I’m well aware of the developer’s statements in regard to METAR data. Regardless, live weather still never works for me in a correct enough way that I could ever use real-world data to know what is happening in sim.

Let’s worry about getting live weather and ATC working better before implementing frivolous features such as playing ATIS feeds from live ATC in-game when you could just tune into the in-game ATIS.

Other people obviously don’t share your experience.

In any event, it was a suggestion for an addon or feature. I, too, would like to see them continue to address issues with the software.

You do realize they fixed a major bug with live weather last week? The cache was not being erased, so weather was living for too long on their servers. This fix was just implemented late last week.

Yuuuuup and many of us have seen zero improvements. Many people also only look at the pretty clouds and think that is good enough. And while at one point today I had acceptable data compared to real life, I had constant thunder and lightning on what was a perfectly beautiful day.

Yeah, the lightning is a major pain in the butt, kind of ruins a good drizzling cloudy day IFR run. At least it’s not accompanied by thunderstorm winds :slight_smile:

I still would love to hear live ATIS in game…
Hmmm, I wonder if I could write it myself now that FSUIPC has been released?
Intercept the ATIS audio and replace it with the live feed, and still have the game ATIS written to the ATC window… That could at least be interesting to compare…