Adelaide & Parafield airports for South Australia

Hi there devs,

I have a request to super detail the Adelaide region of South Australia and the two ‘main’ airports here plus a spruce up of the RAAF Base Edinburgh – Honestly, wouldn’t it be diverse of you to include South Australia instead of us being constantly overlooked in favour of the East coast by every simulator developer out there.

Adelaide Airport YPAD, is remarkably busy and detailed but the generic depiction that I have seen with ‘ultra’ graphic settings and a hi-rez download of the area is basic glass block buildings and 3 jetways. There is almost nothing in the way of details and the highway next to it with a dedicated bypass to the airport, plus a shopping district that surrounds the airport are also not detailed in any way. This airport is an interstate transit hub and desperately needs to be represented in MSFS. Players all over the world would be tempted to fly up to the Barossa Valley wine country, then through the mountains, and on to the never-ending coastline that just keeps going until you end up in Victoria and beyond. And it’s a nice flight to Sydney in your favourite tube liner.

Link to Adelaide Int Wiki: Adelaide Airport - Wikipedia

Parafield YPPF, where I will eventually be getting my PPL at. This is a historical 4 runway GA airport with a heritage listed control tower, which would look amazing if it were there in the simulator instead of just a blank patch. The hangers are all square tin sheds but should be the round-roofed post ww2 hangers, and the fire station is also heritage listed. One of the largest hangers is the home of the Classic Fighter Jets Museum and further along is the crop duster/glider towing hangers and parking. And finally, there are about 20 University of South Australia(UniSA) Flight School and Flight Training Adelaide aircraft based there, used across 2 bachelor’s degrees – these are the same Diamond and Cessna aircraft in MSFS and would make for a fantastic simulation. Also the surrounding areas are now bristling with new businesses and a massive ‘super hardware’ store(Bunnings) across from the runways and a tavern/pub called Roulettes next door, all these landmarks make a simulator. But most of all and again, I stress the importance of the historical control tower here…

Link to Parafield page:

Note that Parafield is the third busiest airport in Australia by aircraft movements, so real-life traffic would be amazing if the airport was made as an add-on.
Blue Skies
Lee

1 Like

Hi @eViLoZzy66 - a very detailed request, nice! Suggest you also submit it to ZenDesk under the “Feedback & Feature Requests” category and be sure to provide all this same detail. Zendesk is an alternate way to share your suggestions with the developers.

2 Likes

As an Adelaidian, I’ll happily vote up this feature request!

2 Likes

Submitted and logged mate,
Blue Skies

I’m an Adelaidian also (though I’ve not been there for over 20 years). This sounds like something they might do one day as part of their regional updates (with all of Oz being the region).

1 Like

OMG! AUSCENE made this, it’s on the FS Market. My thanks and take my money, well done :smiley:

1 Like

Hey mate, I’m also based in Adelaide and use YPPF as my hub. Have you had any problems with this add on scenery since you purchased it? I haven’t had any CTD on Xbox and am a little wary of adding scenery packs in fear of inducing problems.

I’ve had random issues since SU8 but have nailed it down to simconnect and a video card that is screaming out for DX12, all addressed in SU10 I’ve heard. Parafield is a stable, beautiful training airport and I recommend the City pack from Orbx too(hoping for and updated version one day but it’s better than nothing). Also, take the time to load in all the surrounding area at YPPF like Roulettes, Bunnings, Tyrepower etc with slow circuits.

I have downloaded this and so far so good. Is it just me or are there sections of the Northern Expressway that look as though they have been dug up? I have noticed it particularly around the stretch between Edinburgh and Gawler airports.

All that area is Bing, so may be part of the new road works, or just ‘bad-bing-bugs’.

I don’t think we need this, Adelaide, Parafield, and Aldinga have all had good 3rd party implementations available on the marketplace for a while. Asobo already did the AUS world update so I don’t imagine we’ll see anything else here for a long time, not when there is so much of the world still to get anything nice in the sim.

YPAD has been problematic on the xbox with CTD, but it also changes over time with the sim stability on that platform. Also Impulse Simulations have committed to reworking and improving YPAD this year, so hopefully that will improve.

Hey mate, I have all three add ons and don’t have any problems, I did however have a CTD droning around YPAD when I first installed it. Why are the roads a light red colour ■■■? I have asked the YPPF guys to add a rotating beacon to the tower and they said they would look into it, but that was ages ago. It would be nice to have a beacon at Boliver too as in real life. Would also like EDN to be upgraded.

The roads, and some of the hills, have a strong red tint. This happened with the AUS world update, looks like they applied a colour mask overenthusiastically. It looks really bad at certain times of day, there is a thread with a bug report in the forum for it, and Orbx noted that they’d reported it too. It’s been over a year though so I doubt Asobo/MS will fix it until the imagery gets updated again probably many years from now.