Adjustable Projection Type and Field Of View would be highly beneficial for Widescreens and Curved Monitors

Here is an example of (in my opinion) what is being asked for in this post. Assetto Corsa Competizione has a “Projection Correction” option which applies distortion to the mathematically “correct” projection, to reduce the distortion at the screen edges. I grabbed a quick video to demonstrate it. Note the effect is of course more pronounced at a wider FOV.

Personally I’d put this request in the “nice to have” bucket - as a 32:9 ultrawide owner I’ve got used to this feature being VERY rare; I think ACC is the only game I own which offers it!

7 Likes

Woohoo! This is helpful, thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hope someone at Asobo take a look at this. Or maybe some external company. This is what i need now!!

Honestly, until Xbox supports ultrawide or multiple screens I don’t think this will get any traction. It’s a shame though because the sim needs better support for multiple and ultra wide screens

2 Likes

Great! you nailed it to the point.

While in racing Sims, you usually look mostly straight forward, in flight simulation it is necessary to look around.

For instance at the holding point to check whether the approach path is clear. Or during patterns to check, when it’s time to turn to base or final. Or when landing a helicopter to check the visual references.

Try this in MSFS24 and you get motion sick when zoomed out, or will crash when zoomed in due to missing viewing angle an visual references.

I’m coding, experimenting etc. But I’m not ‘flying’ as this distortion makes it unflyable wit TrackIR on ultrawides.

Just get a TrackIR and use a huge 16:9 monitor. You’ll save yourself a lot of money on specialty widescreen monitors and be able to look any direction you want.

Here we go with WRC: https://images.steamusercontent.com/ugc/2224276677698483895/07482AFD5360E10F89E707743DDC9FAA23D154D6/

The MSFS View:

The expected view:


with compareable FOV

And… there are not only standard 1-screen desktop simmers where “grab your TrackIR and a 16:9 screen and you’re good to go” matches the desired state. :slight_smile:
just one example of an older setup…

In P3D I didn’t have those distorion issues. XPlane - which I don’t have doesn’t seem to have that big distortion as well. https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/Fmffl1WVtow shows really best, what’s desired.

And If you want to try it out “real-life” vs. MSFS(24) just place a bottle on your desk fully to the edge of your FOV.

Now turn your head towards the bottle, so that it becomes centered in your FOV.

Does it really shrink to half of the size and grow if you turn your head away again?

Not in my world. Just in MSFS it behaves like that.
How should I estimate speeds and distances with this extrem unlinearity in visuals?

2 Likes

Very nice! Perhaps I am wrong and there’s some hope. :slight_smile: