Adverse Yaw - Basics still missing

Yes. I had to cycle the flight model to legacy and back to modern to fix this problem.

1 Like

Weird. Did that permanently fix it?

Luckily, yes. But I had to restart the SU IV almost 10 times due to the constant looping problems.
So I assume that this caused the problems.

2 Likes

Was it enough to go into the options and set it to Legacy, save the options set, and then set it back to Modern in the same menu session? Or did you have to exit options, load a flight, and then go back into options and set it back Modern?

I changed the flight model to Legacy. Flew around for a few seconds and switched back to modern.

1 Like

Hopefully Asobo also improved the flight dynamics for two other issues:

• side slip possibility seems only indicated until now
  • flying in the lee side of a mountain ridge or in the short final of an approach to some difficult
    mountain airfields simulates the down wind, but not the massive loss of airspeed.
    (But that issue was not your topic).
    In real life you would be dead at your first flight in a massive lee, if you would not push the
    stick very quickly forward and give full throttle !

That is no critique at all ! It’s just a hint, where the sim could be improved.
Nevertheless the sim is phantastic !!!
Thanks to the dedicated guys of Asobo/MS !!!
Bye, Walter

2 Likes

Don’t understand that sentence.

Sorry.
The side slip angle I can achieve with the light airplanes in the sim
seems to be far too small compared to what one can do
for example with a Piper Cub, Cessna 152, Ultralights in real flying.
You know.
Possibly it’s too demanding to simulate this real behavior at this stage of the sim.
I enjoy it also without side slip.

Bye, walter

1 Like

I see.That’s definitely the case, the physics are there, it’s just a matter of individual aircraft tuning.
E.g. the Extra slips okish.

We are halfway there - there is a line in the flight_model.cfg to force the modern flight model.

2 Likes

Hi there, yes side slip is virtually not there in the C-172 I have been flying. I did get the Just Flight Arrow III and in that plane when you apply full rudder and opposite aileron you loose altitude in a hurry without picking up air speed which I believe is more realistic.

2 Likes

Thanks for your engagement !
Will buy the Just Flight Arrow now to try out the side slip with this sim aircraft.
You made me curious.
Nice that you pointed out “without picking up air speed”.
(Good real pilots only are aware of that)

Bye,
Walter

1 Like

I think you are describing a forward slip, for losing altitude but not gaining too much airspeed.

1 Like

In most other languages than English slip or sideslip means forward slip.

It took me quite some time to find out that e.g. the Americans are using different terms for identical maneuvers and that it’s just the application why you perform it, which makes the difference-

2 Likes

Interesting, I didn’t know that.

I can confirm, I’ve never heard the term forward slip before. Both on approach and in flight we used the term side-slip, it is essentially the same maneuver anyway but just different application.

1 Like

Sideslip is identical with the wing low technique and wing low is the term used in most other languages.

2 Likes

Adverse yaw is more apparent in sailplanes/gliders than it is in a Cessna. Gliders have longer wings, (50 feet +) and the long wings allow for greater leverage for the effect of adverse yaw. Adverse yaw is not nearly so noticeable in in a small aircraft with short wings . The rudder is not required to correct for adverse yaw in your C152 or C172 like the way it is used in a glider. When flying a glider, rudder is always required to balance a turn to mitigate the effect of adverse yaw, (see primary and secondary effects of controls). Of course this topic can be expanded by talking about frise ailerons and differential ailerons, I will leave you to explore that topic on your own. I have not used the simulator enough to notice the lack of adverse yaw. BRGDS. Charles. Pilot/glider pilot.

2 Likes

Depends on your definition of “required”, for coordinated flight rudder input is required when initiating a turn due to adverse yaw and then released slightly when becoming established in the turn, this also applies to a C152 or C172, it applies to any aircraft not having automatic turn coordination (advanced yaw damper).

5 Likes

Can’t be true.

4 Likes