Advice on configuration new PC

Hi all,

I hesitating to build a new PC as a surprise for my youngest son, allowing him to play MSFS a bit more smoothly. He loves to fly and today he is playing on a laptop that can barely run flight simulator at minimum settings.

I would love to have your input on whether the below system is something that makes you happy for playing MSFS (note that I unfortunately have no unlimited budget ).

• AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Radeon RX 6600
  • 32GB Ram
  • 1TB SSD

Is this configuration somehow balanced?
If I would increase the budget slightly, where would you upgrade (CPU to an 5700X, or the GPU to a Radeon RX 6700, or …?)

Thanks a lot,
My son is forever grateful for your support (although he does not know it yet :grinning: )

In this particular case, I’d upgrade the GPU first. The 5600 is a good CPU, I have one in my desktop here (which is not my main sim machine, but I do have the sim installed on it for development work) with a 2080 SUPER and it runs the sim pretty well, though not as well as my fully tricked-out top-end sim PC.

You can chase FPS all day and all night but the spec you’ve listed is decent. The weakest component is the GPU, specifically because of the 8GB VRAM. You don’t mention the resolution you want to play at but it’s well established that with the current sim, 8GB can be insufficient especially under DX12. The RX6700 would get you to 10GB VRAM, and if you could stretch to it the RX6700 XT will get you to 12GB which is more than enough for mid-high settings even in 4K, I would think.

1 Like

Thanks for the informative reply! Much appreciated!

Currently, the monitor we will use has a resolution of 1920x1080. So for the foreseeable future, we will play at that frequency. I do not know if that changes the advice above.

What GPU did you buy?