Um, flying a KC-10 in a flight sim is no different from flying a DC-10. I’m not sure why y’all think you need planes armed with missiles or the ability to actually refuel another sim plane in order to fly a KC-10.
I’ve flown in real military planes. MSFS is make-believe fun. Let people do what they want to do. 25% of this is amazing graphics, cool sound, and decent system simulation. The other 75% is imagination.
(And if you don’t agree, you’ve never pulled 7.8Gs in a real plane. Simulation is amazing and awesome, but it’s what you make of it. )
Well yea, simulation can do only so much but I am satisfied if the behaviour and flight dynamics are right with the systems. It means if I can fly it perfectly in game in real life I have a chance to get it on the ground in one piece.
And it’s a game, personally when I fly the DCD F14 for example I am all about doing reckless things without getting jailed or found that god is in front of me a moment later up a shiny stairs
Hey guys, I just wanted to post a bit of an update on this thread as a bit of an insider on the project. They just had an update today with a bunch of new content that I wanted to post for people to see here, and you can check out the full drop on their Discord here Aero Dynamics
Some of the unmentioned plans I wanted to talk about here for the DC-10, particularly two seldom known systems, the planned navigation system, the Collins AINS-70, and the autoland aid, the Performance And Failure Assessment Monitor.
The Collins AINS-70 was one of the first commercially accepted RNAV guidance systems, installed on the original DC-10-30s when they were delivered, and we would like to represent it as true to life as possible. This includes the VOR/DME triangulation it used for position reference, as well as the triple mixed INS systems used when outside of VOR/DME range. The capabilities of the system are surprising, being capable of SIDs and STARs, despite being designed in the early 70s. This means it will be a period correct navigation system that is fully capable of modern RNAV procedures, as any other modern FMC is capable of.
Meanwhile, the Performance And Failure Assessment Monitor was a system included with the ILS and Autoland function of the DC-10, was a display that would show a predicted touchdown area, and if the approach deteriorated or there was no contact with the ILS, it would notify the pilots to go around, or engage in an automatic go around in Autoland mode. It will give pilots a sense of comfort while doing a low or no visibility autoland approach, and I hope it interests all of you.
One of the biggest goals of this addon is not only to bring one of the highest fidelity renditions of the DC-10 to Microsoft Flight Simulator, but to breathe new life into these aged systems from a bygone era with all the information we have on both of them, which is extensive. The team is open to applications for anyone experienced in systems development for MSFS, and any help to accelerate the process and add to the team and quality of this addon is appreciated.
Sadly there are no plans for it to be on the marketplace, and the external systems coding is unlikely to be compatible with Xbox. However that is subject to change if anything else changes, but as it stands it’s very unlikely.
The devs want to do some proprietary coding for aerial refueling, but hopefully Asobo steps in and adds native support for it, as unlikely as it is. I should also mention that the KC and DC will have completely different avionics suites, as the KC will be based off the current avionics of the fleet, and the DC will be largely based off the KSSU(KLM, Swissair, SAS, UTA) avionics suite which includes the AINS-70 RNAV system among other things.
Well, I’m not speaking for the team on this, but a partnership with Asobo on the aircraft would be nice. They might have their fill on old study level widebodies for the time being though. SU10 will be adding a lot of SDK functionality that will definitely help with the intended systems and flight model though.