Aeroplane Heaven Globe Swift released

Maybe someone does take pity on us and creates a Community mod for the B. Unfortunately it‘s probably not as easy as switching the engine.cfg file and hoping for the best.
The engine from the Swift B is a bit of an odd duck: it‘s a Continental O-280. So 280 cu in (4.6 litres) six-cylinder. The C170 used a slightly larger Continental O-300 six cylinder with 145 hp similar in size and weight.
Most other engines in that size are 4-cylinder. Best known the venerable Lycoming O-360. Smaller and lighter and still more powerful. So maybe let‘s just put the C172‘s 160 hp O-360 engine into the Swift and be done with it. :wink:

2 Likes

If you have weaker engine correctly set in engines.cfg, it’s not that hard to modify it to stronger engine (without doing workarounds as modifying parasite_drag_scalar in flight_model.cfg etc). But if the stronger version is 100% matching flight envelope or real aircraft is another matter. I have some AH aircraft and looked into their configs, and I’m assume configs are not correct in this plane as usual.

btw loving you grey interiors :slight_smile:

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what would make a config “correct”? I always figured devs are kind of hacking together whatever numbers make the aircraft perform as they want/expect, I don’t think there’s a super reliable way to punch in exact numbers from real world specs and have the outcome be perfect given all of the other variables in the sim.

You are right. There is no simple way (at least what i know). But if you look into multiple aircraft configs and put together parameters which directly affects torque, which is power_scalar, cylinder_displacement and number_of_cylinders, the output value is more less what target HP should be (but real formula is much more complex). Then you have others which does not line up and then devs have to fiddle with drag values etc much more than others etc so plane would behave like they want. That I consider “not correct”, but in the end, we cannot probably confirm if other are correct or not.

1 Like

it is known that MSFS/Asobo entities are still working on the ‘global flight model’ aspects of MSFS - lift, drag, prop / thrust, all things related to the interaction between virtual atmosphere and virtual aircraft / aerodynamics. The gaps must be addressed by these developers and then corrected as new ‘features’ or changes to the ‘global’ model are added / updated in the sim.
Adding in proper helicopter physics, jet engine and airframe performance, glider related characteristics and support is going to affect the ‘global’ model as well…or perhaps better to say the global flight modeling must be changed to accommodate the new aircraft types or their improvements.
Eventually it is possible that all a developer would have to do is list the specifications of the aircraft and they would translate to the correct flight characteristics - but that’s a reach. Never say die though

back on topic - AH have responded to my email regarding some issues with the Globe Swift
I think they will have a solution available soon, but that is their announcement to make.
The communication I have had with them has always been well received and this was no exception.
They have also addressed the concerns of others who’ve made inquiries to their ‘help desk’ WRT the Globe Swift so I would suggest (as the forum moderators here have also done) that anyone with issues with any developer product take them up with the developer directly (and cordially) if you hope to see corrections.

2 Likes

Version 1.06 is out.

1 Like

After the update I bought the plane and I like it so far. It’s fun to fly and looks good (although the exterior looks better than the cockpit).

The aileron animation is indeed corrected in the latest version, but what I noticed right away is that the slip indicator is also working backwards:

During a left turn without rudder input the ball should slide to the left of the marker and should then be centered by “stepping on the ball”. Meaning, putting in left rudder to make the turn coordinated.

In the AH Globe Swift, however, the ball is moving to the right of the marker. Applying left rudder to make the turn coordinated results in the ball moving even further right. And if you try to center the ball on the marker, you have to apply right rudder during a left turn, basically going cross-controlled and in a side-slip configuration. That’s not what the slip indicator is for. :wink:

So, inverting animations seems to kind of a theme with the AH Globe Swift. Hopefully this will be fixed in a coming update.

1 Like

I have :slight_smile:
Was fixed quickly though

3 Likes

I find that unlikely, at least in the near to medium term - with the possibility of split-flaps/slotted-flaps/fowler-flaps/no-flaps/flaperons and then ventilated-slats/sealed-slats/droop-nose slats/slotted-slats/no-slats and add in spoilers/spoilerons/no-spoilers not to mention canards, variations in wing profile/chord and overall shape Rectangular/Elliptical/Tapered/Delta/Trapezoidal/Ogive/Swept-Back /Forward-Swept wings, then lets talk about biplanes and triplanes, vectored thrust and conventional-tails/t-tails/multiple-tail/no-tail and whether the horizontal stabiliser is part or all elevator and then blimps and lifting bodies and blimps that are also lifting bodies — we can go on for ever :smiley:

There is far too much possible variation to get more than a rough approximation of most designs - I suspect tweaking will become less significant but never be eliminated completely.

No - all we need to see to know that MSFS isn’t doing that is to see the ‘stick left-bank left’ behavior of the Swift even though the ailerons were reversed.
Obviously this iteration of flight sim models flight behavior without regard to the configuration of the airframe or the effects of the virtual atmosphere on it.
Someday though - if flight simulation development continues through another decade or so. Who knows.

1 Like

picked this up today. glass seems to have a distinctive blue tint that I didn’t notice on the AH website images. much rather clear glass tbh

So, we can just wait for AH will fix the slip indicator… (as well as they actually did quikly with ailerons and gear)

did you email their help desk and report the issue ? They are just like every other developer in that they work a problem faster when they know it’s affecting a lot of customers.

here it is - actual Globe Swift in flight

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing, awesome video of an awesome plane. Wonderful to have it now in MSFS thanks to AH.

1 Like

just uploaded some new cameras for the Swift

and some visual changes to the liveries, panels and interior

3 Likes

oh … a real one

Textures on the real one need work and sound on the real world one could be better but overall almost as good as some of the better MSFS ones :wink:

I am yet to buy this but it looks like another nice taildragger to add to my collection.

2 Likes

this real world video features 2 Globe Swift aircraft in formation - indicates that the blue tinted glass is common or standard at the rear and overhead sections of the canopy. One owner/ pilot has added green tinted peel n stick to help with the shade factor

2 Likes

Bought this one and have taken it for a couple of flights. Looks really good and the sounds are alright, not great but a lot better than some of AH’s earlier stuff. Controls do seem very sensitive. Doesn’t take much stick deflection from me to get this thing rolling and pitching quite a fair bit. I was looking at the external model and moving my stick around and I noticed that it only takes about half the stick’s movement range to get the elevators and ailerons fully deflected. In the DC Stearman thread recently there was discussion about realistic roll rates and adjusting the extremity deadzone in the sensitivity settings so I tried that out in the Swift, added about 50% extremity deadzone on both roll and pitch and it feels a lot more reasonable to me, but I ain’t a real life pilot so I could be way off obviously.

I was confused about the engine power for a bit as well. In the manual it lists all speeds in MPH, the specs at the start and in the take of landing guide it gives you speeds in MPH but turns out the gauge is actually in knots (bug?). I was testing out cruise speeds, manual states 2000-2500 RPM is the cruise settings and at 2500 RPM @ 3,000 feet I was doing 140 on the speedo. I first thought this was way too fast, 140 MPH?! But the external view gauges and also littlenavmap told me I was actually doing 140 knots lol. 140 knots is about 120 MPH which is more reasonable I guess. Although when I look up performance data online it lists 120 MPH as the max cruise speed of the 125hp powered B variant, dunno what the max cruise speed of the 95 hp variant is supposed to be but I’m guessing a bit less, so maybe the plane’s a bit overpowered? Can climb quite a fair rate at higher power settings as well, although when I settled down into a 80-90 MPH climb (or 69-78 knots on the gauge) as specified in the manual it seemed to cool down a fair bit and was doing under 1000 FPM.

Turn and bank indicator borked as mentioned above which seems like a massive oversight. Hope that gets patched out soon. Amp gauge is always showing 0 for me as well.

I think most of these problems can be fixed pretty easily by AH so I hope it gets sorted out soon and if so this will be quite a nice plane. Looks great and comes with a nice little manual. It’s a bit light on details but the presentation is good which is something AH do well. I like the clipboard where you can adjust the internal engine volume and the little post-it-note system tutorial on starting up the plane is pretty cool and unique. I’ve been enjoying my first couple of flights in the Swift but I hope some of the quirks and annoyances get fixed up.

1 Like