Aerosoft CRJ 700 reverse thrust in-flight

Good morning flying aces,

I have noticed that the thrust reversers can be engaged in-flight in the CRJ700. Pulling back the thrust to idle does not stop there but the thrust reverses come on when not disabling thrust reverse with the two switches next to the spoilers.

Is the same possible in the real airplane too?
I have never heard of an jet airplane where it is possible to engage the thrust reversers inflight (feathering and reversers is normally only possible with propeller airplanes), that´s why I wonder if this can be done in a real CRJ700…

Have a great day!

I believe Concorde could use idle reverse on engines 2 & 3 to increase rate of descent.

I don’t know the CRJ well, but these look like toggle switches and there are no locking mechanism of guards - so yes, the switches could be toggled.

However on thrust reversers, there are physical independent locks which - normally 3 - which prevent deployment in flight and will only deploy on ground.
If ever the reversers are accidentally deployed in flight, the engine will spool down to idle.

I just looked at your picture again, the arrow drawn points to what looks like thrust reverser arming switches (my assumption). It is on the thrust levers that you will see the actual reverse handles. These have interlocks in the assembly.

Not recommended. Absolutely not recommended.

“No commercial passenger plane can reverse in the air” and the pilots can’t intentionally deploy reverse thrust in flight in any modern passenger jet aircraft. Reverse thrust is ‘locked out’ until the aircraft senses its wheels are on the ground."

Many aircraft you can physically deploy the reversers without the weight on wheels sense active (Weight on wheels sytems determine aircraft air/ground state). In the majority of aircraft there is simply a limitation on allowance to use them in flight. Some aircraft however it is permissable to deploy the reversers in flight.

Thank you :ok_hand: One never stops learning :sunglasses:

We basically do not model any non-standard procedures. That is for a good reason because if you start with that you go into a rabbit hole where the user will say ‘why is this modeled and that not’. It also causes a massive increase in price. You will find this ‘normal procedures’ only in all our aircraft add-ons.

I can’t see any reason why a CRJ pilot would want to go to reverse thrust in flight though.

Mathijs Kok
Aerosoft

1 Like

yes and the Convair 990 used reverse in the air I believe.

The recurring question is how to engage reverse thrust. Specifically, what button/switch to action should one bind on Thrustmaster Warthog allowing engagement on touchdown? Thanks.

You should bind the button that lowers thrust to the Thrustmaster Warthog, which is F2. If you press F2 in idle the thrust reversers open.
Sorry I have not found a different way for the reversers, I just press F2 on my keyboard after touch-down. It´s simple and functional…