Aerosoft Twin Otter baby!

Ha…yes. When some people are presented with solid evidence of a fault they often counter with “Well why are you flying an ILS approach anyway…just fly it by hand.”

Of course they totally miss the point with this course of reasoning. In essence they are telling you that you are playing the game wrong lol.

3 Likes

I think that nicely summarizes the bashing going on by people who don’t know what they are talking about. Says everything about the discussion going on here. I have been in the beta, and yes, there are issues you can complain about (which largely have been mentioned in the beta as well), but things have been taking to a way too absurd level here by some.

The aircraft has been thoroughly tested by real pilots as well, so regarding flight model, it is very good. And visually it is mostly stunning as well. And for flying it is just a load of fun!

5 Likes

Let’s assume for a moment that, since I haven’t actually tried the Twotter on an ILS approach, AP or otherwise, that the Islander, and the Twotter behave in the same incorrect way.

Also assume that the primary issue is one of pitch.

I just checked the AI.cfg for four different aircraft. the Asobo 172, PMDG DC-6, Aerosoft Twin Otter, and the BBS BN2 Islander:

pitchPID = 2.0, 0.1, 2.0, 10.0, 100.0

DC-6

pitchPID = 1.0, 0.5, 8.0, 1.0, 100.0

Twin Otter

pitchPID= 1, 0.01, 2, 0.6, 5

BN2 Islander

pitchPID= 1, 0.01, 2, 0.6, 5

Interestingly, both the Islander, and Twin Otter have exactly the same values for their “pitchPID”.

From the SDK entry:

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Content_Configuration/SimObjects/Aircraft_SimO/AI_Config_Definition.htm

PID
Input is the desired pitch, output is the pitch control input.

Default is: 1.0, 0.01, 2.0, 0.6, 5.0

It looks like both BBS, and Aerosoft used the default for this setting, and both have AP control issues.

Let’s check one more, the SWS Kodiak:

pitchPID = 2, 0.1, 10, 1, 100

Again, non-default values, however I have to stress I’ve not tried an AP ILS approach in the Kodiak either, but I’m willing to bet that it works!

I know the Islander has had some issues with heading control as well, RNAV approaches for instance, so I took a look at the “headingPID” as well.

Default values from the SDK:

1.0, 0.01, 1.0, 1.0, 20.0

BN2 Islander

headingPID= 1, 0.01, 1, 1, 20

Twin Otter

headingPID= 1, 0.01, 1, 1, 20

172SP

headingPID = 2.0, 0.01, 2.0, 0.2, 1.0

DC-6

headingPID = 1.0, 0.01, 1.0, 0.2, 1.0

Again, defaults for the Islander, and Twin Otter, but not for the 172SP or DC-6.

7 Likes

I’m not sure what you are seeing with the Grumman 44 Widgeon but I don’t have a problem with it holding altitude at slow speed.

You can see in the Input Viewer screenshot that the AP is able to apply lots of elevator in order to maintain control of the nose
(it’s also unclear what AP code that plane is using as it doesn’t use any of the default control in the cockpit)

1 Like

I take your point and will test out a zero vis approach later. Like I say I’m no expert on what to expect re these systems. All I’m saying is the AP seems less broke and more work roundable than some on here would have believe. I’m sure the dev will fix any minor bugs soon. In the meantime it’s surely better for people to enjoy using what they have rather than repeating “it’s completely broken” all the time, which serves no purpose.

1 Like

I’ll have a look later today, but for me, I stopped using the zoom completely, months ago.

If I want to input details on the GPS I just either lean in a bit or adjust my view (I have the eyepoint assigned to a hat switch and it’s very easy to move quickly around the cockpit - far better than any zoom function that may or may not work imho)

So is this VTOL cabaple? VTOL Twotter - YouTube Sorry if this is old link here. Having tough time to decide buy this or not. Looking new aircraft to my VR collection. Kodiak i allready have.

I was in VS mode, but as it got to the selected altitude ALT engaged but did nothing to stop the climb.

And they never mentioned the ILS issue, or the fact the volts dont change when load is added to name 2 glaring issues. Lets consider the outbound VOR issue.

So these issues were in the beta and it was still released. The only absurdity is this!

2 Likes

I have seen that kind of behaviour. It happens to me nearly always on initial climb if I’m on too high a throttle setting. It seems like an overshoot condition. Once you reduce throttle it settles down a bit. Not sure if it’ a bug or not. Same seems to go for reducing throttle too much and descending past the target altitude. There seems to be a throttle range where it works fine in both directions though.

This is also exactly what I do. What do you when engaging AP for the first time. If you do it I’m climb? I.e when you engage for the very first time.

The thing is, I’ve seen 3 preview videos from 3 different streamers I usual trust and enjoy. And all of them explicitly mentioned (often several times) that “this IS an early beta we’re using here, and there ARE problems” - so they glossed over any issues with that caveat. Which is fine.

The problem is, many of us assumed that said problems would “obviously” be fixed and addressed before the full release, and that clearly hasn’t happened. And that’s a bummer.

2 Likes

Fortunately, they are refunding me. I let them know that I didn’t mind bugs, but I didn’t find the modeled system depth as deep as advertised and I was not ok with features being cut to make it run on Xbox.

@Hester40MT Would you or another member of the forum team please look at my flagged post? It contains links to actual Aerosoft posts and shouldn’t be hidden because a few people don’t like what it says. It’s been hidden for over twelve hours without any comment on the moderation thread.

1 Like

I engage AP about 500ft after takeoff during the initial climb, I set target alt then set V/S then HDG or NAV. As I noted in a reply to your other post I do see overshoot on initial climb if throttle set too high. I find if I set throttle back a bit the target altitudes seem to manage the overshoot better. I don’t know if this is a bug or normal behaviour. I have no experience with it. Subsequent ALT changes after takeoff using V/S are fine after reducing throttle from take off position. The majority of the time it seems to work accurately and slows the V/S rate to intercept the altitude just fine.

1 Like

And how do you get over the aircraft pitching down when you activate the autopilot, as the VS defaults to 0fpm rather than current VS?

I haven’t tested it yet myself, but you could try the KAP140 mod linked above by @SkyVagrant4490 as it claims to fix this behaviour in the default autopilot:

Pitch mode at enabling AP was undefined, instead of capturing and holding current vertical speed
2 Likes

I don’t really monitor that, it’s a brief interlude before I set V/S and it takes over. I don’t know if you can set V/S before enaging AP, I haven’t tried to do so is that normal on other small aircraft? I have no idea? I’d need to check on the EMB-110 AP (which has similar avionics) to remind myself. I’m pretty sure I just set ALT then engage AP then set V/S.

I tried this yes thanks, doesn’t help, guessing just outdated, hasn’t been updated for a long time.

Thanks for your help, yes it pitches down because as soon as you engage the AP it sets VS at 0fpm

Inspired by the comments on PitchPID and rollPID in ai.cfg I’ve knocked up a VERY crude mod that replaces the default Twotter values with the ones from the Kodiak.
And what do you know, the AP can now hold an APR down pretty much to stall speed.
(If anyone wants proof I have an video of an Approach into EGHH with the modded code if they want it)

I’m not really interested in posting the mod anywhere as it’s really crude and right now I’m not sure how Aersosoft would respond to it being published.

But if you want to create your own version drop me a line and I can send information on what I did, if not the actual files.

5 Likes

Marvellous job showing all the bugs !! Had the exact same problems and with ILS glideslope when lowering the throttle, it loses GS and start to dive… I can’t believe they didn’t see this in all the months of development … It may be from the time they lost 2 weeks to decide if they would keep the yellow arc on one of the gauge lol…(you can find it in aerosoft’s forums)