Affordable Graphics Card to run MSFS20 in VR (Currently GTX1050ti)

I’m currently running VR Mode on an Asus Phoenix GTX1050ti with Oculus Quest 2 and while its not perfect on all low settings it does work and is fun.

I’d like to get a VR boost to up my detail a bit but I don’t want to pay a fortune for a GPU.

Is anyone running a mid range Graphics card with decent VR results on medium settings? I’d like to hear your experience and spec :slight_smile:

You can try a 1650S or a 1660 they are not that expensive. I have a 1650S on the older computer and it runs MSFS on medium just fine.

1 Like

Graphics card prices are coming down at last. There are rumours that the 40x series will release in early Q3 which could further drive down the prices of older generations. It might be worth hanging on a while if you can.

3 Likes

Thanks, I had a 1660ti on radar so that is good to know as a baseline.

The prices currently seem to be trending downwards so it might be worth my hanging on a bit. My low settings experience of VR with the 1050ti has me on the hook!

Good call. Probably is worth hanging on with the market dropping as it is just now.

1 Like

I think you should balance affordability against future proof, the sim is only going one way unless DX12 and DLSS bring radical performance improvements.

1 Like

Really happy with my RTX 3070 in VR. Prices are coming down…

1 Like

I’m using an AMD RX6700XT (the price is falling fast) with an i7 10700K and the Q2s. Given the Q2s weakness (the lens, resolution and FOV :slight_smile: ) I’m pretty happy with how mine looks. Nice and smooth with everything at “high” or “ultra.”

I recorded this for my nephew so he could see the difference between my old RX 590 and the RX 6700XT. CPU is an i7 10700K @ 5.2 ghz with 32 gig of DDR4 @ 4000 mhz.

1 Like

i had a 2080 Super, you can find them second hand on Ebay relatively cheap. They are better than a 3060. I had stutterfree flights with locked fps at 30 , Settings medium/ high on my quest 2. I can highly recommend a 2080 Super, 2080ti might even be better

1 Like

I finally took the plunge and went for an RTX 3070ti, Intel 12600k and 32gb RAM. Pretty decent results on the Oculus Quest 2 with tweaked settings. Staying behind the curve for now.

I had been waiting for the 40 series but too mad expensive so I’ll upgrade in a couple of years again when they are maybe affordable.

DLSS might improve things further but not great just now (oct22)

Oh! Incase anyone is interested I got the GPU off CEX for an eye watering £540 used. :grimacing:

1 Like

I’m new to the VR game and am also running an AMD RX6700XT (Ryzen 7, 32g ram, none of which are close to maxing out at all), but am getting a lot of stuttering and tearing . The headset is a Quest 2.

Mind sharing your settings? Did you set a max fps for stability?
Link cable is showing over 2gbs, doesnt seem to matter if I go low vr graphics settings or high, same effect.

Set Oculus app resolution to 72 or 80Hz pretty much fullscale (1.4 or so) resolution. Set Link cable encode bitrate to no more than 150->200mbps and either 2912 or 3648 encode width. Set Pixel Density to 1.2 or so. Set FOV to 0.75;0.75 or so. Use ODT to set those and test them with the Visible HUD/Performance summary. Try to use Oculus Tray Tool or better yet, an OculusDebugToolCLI script (see below) to set either nonASW or ASW with 45 or 30Hz (really means one-half or one-third base rate - example, 45Hz setting means 36Hz for a 72Hz Quest2 Oculus-app rate).

Now for MSFS, get the OpenXR Toolkit freeware which uses upscaling to improve performance.
Use at least 1800x1800 resolution as seen by setting TAA for Antialiasing inthe setting for VR (not PC) resolution. Use mostly Medium MSFS settings and some at LOW or off (you can always crank them up later).

That should get you started - here is the BAT script file - just use Notepad to create it and make a Desktop shortcut to it so you can run it after starting the Oculus PC app.

ECHO ON
echo server:asw.Clock30 >> “TEMP.txt”
echo perfhud set-mode 0 >> “TEMP.txt”
echo service set-pixels-per-display-pixel-override 1.3 >> “TEMP.txt”
echo service set-client-fov-tan-angle-multiplier 0.75 0.75 >> “TEMP.txt”
echo service enable-adaptive-gpu-perf-scale off >> “TEMP.txt”
echo exit >> “TEMP.txt”
call “C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugToolCLI.exe” -f “%~dp0\TEMP.txt”
del “TEMP.txt”
EXIT
//Notes:
//Clock30 actually means one-third of 90 (=30) but if the HMD is set to 72fps, then the result is 24Hz ASW
// ASW options are 45,30,and 18 ( Why not one-fourth = 22.5)
//perfhud set-mode 1 shows Performance (1->7) and reset removes it
//layerhud set-mode 1 shows Pixel Density and FOV and reset removes it
//For more settings, startup OculusDebugToolCLI.exe and try the various help options

In VR, really?

I have a 3070ti, happy with it. At a minimum, I’d look at a 3080 or higher. As long as you can avoid crypto geeks unloading cards, you can get something of that caliber reasonably cheap used.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.