After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS

therefore the issue report from @LimburgerSmell ( see ) about issue with slew. But because OP not use slew/time , it must not necessarly the same :slight_smile:

On other side is mem/leak semanticly also not same as low fps, but can cause itā€¦

I have the same problems, especially with the big planes as the Boeing 747-8 i. Even before the start, my FPS are in the basement, the display ā€œLimited by Mainthreadā€ and Mainthread display is almost permanently in the red area. Like most, I have more than enough resources at my disposal. Even the single core load is not over 75%. Only the memory fills up to 70-80% (of 32 GB). My Route was from KIAD to KJFK but on half way iĀ“ve just up to 10 or 12 fpsā€¦

My HW specs.: Asus ROG Strixx x299 E-Gaming / Intel i 7800X (6c/12t Socket 2066) / RAM 32 GB GSkill F4-3200C14-8GTZR / Game installed on Samsung SSD / Graphics: RTX 2080 Ti /i-net Con. 1000 MbitĀ“s (up to 118 MB/s)
-on Ground:

A few Minutes after take off

Edit: Same with Cessna CJ4 and the Problems always start between Waypoint ā€œWINGO and SINONā€ KIAD ā†’ KJFK)

4 Likes

Same thing happens to me, since a long time ago.

1 Like

Opened a ticket to Microsoft, they just answered to check if the issue still happens after France/Benelux update. Tha patch doesnā€™t includes any references to enhanced performance, so testing right now. Letā€™s see if the issue is still thereā€¦

1 Like

Disable online functionality from the menu. Fly couple of minutes. Turn it back on. Might just solve the problem.

1 Like

Same exact issues tonight from KCNI to KATL and flying a circle around Atlanta city in a Cessna Skyhawk. Saw the FPS drop to 7 FPS, then low bandwidth. Been playing for a month now, just now seeing this happen.

AMD Ryzen99 3950X 16 Core
32 GB DDR4 3200hz
NNVIDIA GeForce1080ti
Fiber internet 500/500
Cache size unlimited on same SSD

1 Like

In my case, after France/Benelux world update, last flight was 8 hours with no issues. FPS kept 35-40 all the time. So seems to be solved by Asobo.

Where are your pagefiles? I see you have only on NVME disk installed. Go for an second and third one!

I have three in my system, one for the system, one for all game data, one for pagefiles.

Win pagefile should beat least twice the size of your ram and not on the same disk as MSFS data and/or system.

Rolling cache? If on try 32GB on separate M.2.

So overall you should have about 100GB paging/cache as fast as possible (M.2), no problem nowadys I think.

Have you monitored your memory usage at all? Maybe your system runs into an memory bottleneck after a while so that the cpu starts crazy paging.

Is it possible that, later in your session, you are getting into a busy time of day for demand on the servers and it is this that is slugging your performance?

Having the same problem here: close to bigger airports (Heathrow, Munich) is total drop of performance. No chance to fly anymore in a slightshow. I thought there was a recent update in order to improve performance instead of ruin it??

2 Likes

Happens to me too. Will have to move to competitorā€™s game soon, as itā€™s becoming unplayable.

3 Likes

I occasionally run into this problem as well. I always have my GPU frequency displayed in an overlay and when the FPS starts dropping to single digits I can see my GPU stop using boost clock and start running at idle clock frequencies.

I believe this problem is somehow related to photogrammetry. When the problem happens I can go into settings and temporarily turn off photogrammetry. Upon applying the setting change it takes a little bit for the sim to reload the scenery and then FPS returns to normal. I can then go and re-enable photogrammetry and FPS usually stays normal but sometimes dies again into the single digits.

So while certainly not a fix, a workaround is temporarily turning off photogrammetry to get FPS to recover instead of having to completely restart the game.

2 Likes

As I mention in the other thread (After playing a few hours, FPS drops from 40 to 5FPS - #14 by MichaMMA), increasing my RAM from 32 to 64 GB helped me when I fly with a higher Sim Rate.

With my settings, I was using about 20 to 25 GB of RAM by cities. When this is a high percentage of memory, the frame rate drops. Reclaiming the memory is a very slow process. When this amount of memory is below 50%, the frame rate does not drop noticeably.

I had never heard about this issue til I noticed myself after 4~5 hours of flight this weekend with still 3 hours remaining and fps average dropped to freezing 9 fpsā€¦a shame indeed as long haul flights are forbidden by sim coding somehow

3 Likes

Same thing here. I recently did a 2.5 hour flight around Kilimanjaro, which is mostly a desolate area (no cities, no air traffic, almost no trees). I started with the fps pegged at 60 but after 40 min or so I began losing fps gradually until I was in the high 20fps at touchdown. Starting another flight from scratch brought my fps back to 60.

Nothing to do other than wait for Asobo to keep working on performance optimization I suppose.

1 Like

Same thing happens to me also on flights over 1 1/2 to two hours. Especially landing at the larger cities. Some kind of bug, memory leak, or something.

2 Likes

Well this is interesting. My flights are mostly short hops of around an hour or so. But today I had a long flight with a stop to refuel but not quiting the flight. Had diner while the sim was still running with the plane parked at the fuel pump.
After diner I took of for the next part of my flight. Approching my destination (LFBZ Biarritz) I noticed performance drops and stuttering in VR. I managed to land and thought it was caused by the freeware scenery of the airport which came with additional scenery for the city.

However, after reading this thread I loaded up the same airport again to test and it was smoothā€¦

I had something similar to this. It was due to an overheating GPU but for me it didnā€™t take hours, maybe 10-15 minutes. I can see from a later post that your temps arenā€™t an issue so its most likely not that in your case.

Does the issue occur in even the simplest scenery, and you just leave the plane sat there? I realise you havenā€™t actually tested this, as why would anyone do that!? But if you have a few hours spare doing something else try finding somewhere with very little scenery detail like a bush strip in the middle of nowhere, spawn the plane, and just leave it there for a couple of hours to see what happens.

I have experience the same. Some kind of memory performance leak in flight that are longer than 90 minutes.

3 Likes

Never experienced this before.

But this happened to me when I was doing a 3hr flight today. Roughly an hour in the fps started to get worse and worse - until I landed with 5fps.

The funny and interesting thing is that EXACTLY as the landing wheels touched the runway it was like someone flipped a switch back to my usual 40+ fps. In my case it very much seems like it has to be software related and not hardware, as it completely snapped to buttersmooth as the wheels touched the runway.

aircraft was the CRJ-700, and a flight from russia to alaska.

3 Likes