After Store mandatory update - now full FS2020 download in progress?

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox. PC

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version? MS Store Version

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? No

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: Current version - cannot determine as it is currently downloading :frowning:

Brief description of the issue:

On launch a Store Mandatory Update was required, which downloaded and installed succesfully.

Using the Storeā€™s ā€˜Openā€™ option presented following the update FS2020 launched, checked for updates and presented a full download (111.15GB) as being required. Checked the FS2020 directory size on disk to determine whether it had been deleted, 114GB in use but a full download now in progress.

This is the 5th time I have been required to download the entire product, Microsoft you are better than this and need to resolve these distribution/installation issues as a priority, particulary for those of us who only have 4G Internet access with monthly data limits :frowning: :sob:

NO! Itā€™s installing into a new directory! Make the installer point at your custom directory. Youā€™ re now installing it twice. Just abort, start again and point to the right place.

2 Likes

Default install, no tweaks, changes etc from my end so nothing I have done would have changed its install directory.

Ah just send you a message too, glad to see this reply got you in time. Iā€™ ve had it myself once too. Without changing anything it pointed the installer somewhere else and off it went.

Just make sure the installer points at where your Community and Official folders are normally located too.

This doesnā€™t sound good.

If all the data is there then maybe try moving the already downloaded content to a custom path and see if re-running MSFS and pointing to the custom path helps?
Just throwing out an option to see if it saves you having to perform a massive download.

Details on how to move to a custom install path can be found here.

With due respect, I humbly offer this.

I have my FS2020 ā€œInstalled Packagesā€ installed on D:\FS2020.

This update VII install screen defaulted to an install location of C:**.
I clicked okay or continue and the install started.

I then realised that it did indicate the C: drive.
I stopped FS2020 and started it again.

This time, I clicked the ā€œBrowseā€ button and selected my install location.
I could only choose the drive and selected the D: drive and the install
continued with no problem.

1 Like

after a long time running at abt. 100 Mbit I Ā“ve cancelled the update download.
unfortunately now the complete MSFS-app is disappeared. I dont have the opportunity anymore to start or to uninstall the sim.
Anybody an idea how to solve this problem or know what happens when I install the sim again without uninstall it before?

@tamalien I have a question regarding your methodology of copying the backup to a custom path. Hypothetically speaking, letā€™s say I take the current build I have and copy both the community and official folders from the packages in the default install location on C: and make the custom folder in my E: drive to paste there. That part is easy.

My question now is, assuming I install a beta, since I am one of the peripheral testers, this should install into my C: drive by default. Once Iā€™m ready to leave the beta, I will be prompted to reinstall the latest stable version, and I should point the packages to the custom location in E: so that I donā€™t risk having to fully reinstall.

Will E: now become my primary install path? What then happens to the data in C: and how do I make sure that the next time I install a beta it doesnā€™t install in E:? I just want to keep E: as a backup but donā€™t want to have out of date files in C:

Iā€™m not @tamalien but:

1. there is no beta to install
  2. I was in the last beta and had my ā€œInstalled Packagesā€ (Community and Official folders) installed on my D:\FS2020 drive\folder.

You can have the ā€œPackagesā€ on both C: and E: drives.
The FS2020 program will use the one that is indicated on your last download/install (indicated by you) as the location of the ā€œPackagesā€
and also indicated in your UserCfg.opt file.

You could consider the one not indicated as a backup but it is not updated
by anything.

Usually the one not indicated is deleted to not waste that disk space. (130 GB)

Usually, if a backup is wanted, say for for a new upgrade/install, a copy of the indicated ā€œPackagesā€ is copied prior to the download/install.

@JEP795 In addition to the comments made above by @MSFSRonS above, just for clarificationā€¦ I donā€™t copy the files in

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages

to another folder and leave the original files in situ.

I completely move the entire contents of both directories ā€œCommunityā€ and ā€œOfficialā€ to a new location outside of the directory structure contained in

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\

and make sure MSFS knows the location of this new directory.

I do maintain a separate back up of this data on another hard drive as well, in case anything ever goes wrong with the active directory that MSFS is using (be it the ā€œliveā€ or ā€œbetaā€ version). AFAIK it is only possible to have one type of MSFS installed at any one time, either the live or the beta version, not both. (Currently the only available build is the live build as there is no beta build just now.)

Whenever transferring from beta build to live build, in the past, MSFS has a tendency to delete everything in

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\

before re-installing the new live version. This is the reason why the recommendation is to have the important downloaded content outside of that folder structure, lest it gets wiped in this process.

1 Like

This makes sense, so even if I have it pointed to E: it will still try to delete on C:. I was worried about it deleting what I have on E: when trying to reinstall. As for the backup Iā€™ll keep on a separate drive. Thanks!

It (the download/install program) will not delete any ā€œInstalled Packagesā€.

It will delete itself on the boot drive that it is installed on and will reinstall on
the boot drive.

If the ā€œInstalled Packagesā€ are on the boot drive, it will not delete them.

It just deletes the initial 1.xx GB on the boot drive.

Count me in. I have opted in for the beta because nothing was moving in a timely manner after the botched SU7 job and FS was no fun anymore with the ground always covered in clouds, IOW SU7 was already the last straw but now I faced the full reinstall challenge and read somewhere that it points to the default install location, so I tried to point it to its actual location on D: but it still wanted to install everything after it obviously wiped the old install in an instant. Every single time since SU4/5 the update process in FS is an increasing nightmare and itā€™s time to pull the plug and make the only consequential statement I have as a customer: I have removed MSFS and I wonā€™t be installing it (and the loads of content I bought) again unless MS+Asobo have gained a solid reputation of having sorted out their massive issues with customer experience, stability, quality control and keeping their promises. That may as well mean ā€œneverā€.

This sim is supposed to make my day happier but the bigger part of the last year itā€™s been a massive mood killer on such a regular basis that keeping this appears to be a sign of insanity to me. Before I get my coat I want to thank the community for the help bearing with this heartbreaking disappointment of a ā€œnext-genā€ sim that just has become one notch too next-gen awful for me.

Captain Nuts out. :frowning:

2 Likes

You have my sympathy.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Very slow download speed