AI traffic causing CTDs in the B787-X

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

yes

Brief description of the issue:

I cannot manage to fly across Vienna or land in LOWW with the default B787. Every time fps drops drastically < 10fps and I get a CTD. No matter if I fly on FL410 or on 5.000ft heading for approach.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Enter the default B787 and fly around Vienna / LOWW or try to land there. I had it with long-haul flights (7+ hours) as well as short haul (2+ hours).

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super (driver v537.34)

PC specs and peripheral set up:

Windows 10 Home x64 22H2, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz, 32 GB RAM

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

SU9+

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Just had the next CTD while taxiing on the ground in LOWW. Did not even make it to rwy 34 in the B787-X

Fault Bucket ID: 1358469617946816054

By any chance, do you have cache enabled in your MSFS2020 settings ?, if yes could you delete or disable it and check if this fix your issue ?

Thank you for your response. Yes, I did that many times already.

I can also confirm it is no problem in the A320neo e.g. - I can depart and land in LOWW without any problems. Generelly I experience much worse performance with the B787X, maybe those new features like VNAV (which are really great) are slightly too gready at the moment and need to be optimized in a next release.

1 Like

I have the standard edition so I don’t have the 787 to try reproducing the issue. Hopefully some users with Premium edition will be able to check if they have the same issue and report their results here.

1 Like

I’m getting a lot of 878 CTDs, mostly in the air. External view seems to cause some of them. As soon as I hit the button, CTD. Not every time, but several crashes have happened at that moment.

1 Like

I agree. For me it is worst in Central Europe especially in and around Vienna. But also had CTDs somewhere out in the Sahara dessert where nothing spectacular needs to be rendered.

I always recognize a severe lag of several seconds (sometimes even 10+ seconds) where the screen completely freezes when closing the camera popup window. In approx. 80% of the cases it will recover and continue as the popup window is closed in the other cases I get a CTD.

Also experienced CTD on final last time while turning off the WXR - clicked the button and boom, CTD.

And again just had a CTD on FL390 over Iran. No other planes around, just some broken clouds, nothing special. FPS started to decrease to 10-15 and stutter began, after like 2 hours into flight it crashed.

Most of the times it works fine but since Update 13 i had a couple of CTD using the 787x when switching to external view.

1 Like

Okay just managed to have a wonderful 11-hour flight from OLBA to KBOS in the B787-X. Even crossing through Central Europe and Vienna I had no CTD. At some points it stuttered slightly and FPS dropped below 10 but it remained stable and I even had a wonderful sunset approach in Boston on runway 04R.

The one thing changed was to turn off all AI traffic and just go by Vatsim injected traffic. This works like butter and even the lights are correctly displayed for multiplayer planes. So it seems like AI traffic (which works like rubbish tbh) is the main cause of my problems.

Maybe this helps someone else and hopefully this is a sustainable solution for me as well

Today a successful flight with challenging but nice landing from KBOS to UUWW, again cross through North Europe and without CTD.

It really seems like the AI traffic was causing the issues for me