AIG AI Manager and Traffic Controller for MSFS

Hello @BladeRunner962 , @candykatx and others.

Please stay on topic of AIG and related MSFS traffic and not drift off towards discussing development practices.
There are other topics where that can be discussed and was already discussed quite extensively.
E.g. https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/if-devs-cant-but-modders-can/455764.

However, reading the comments above I feel that I should give some reply to prevent the spread of misinformation, for those interested:

It is true that FSX served as a code foundation for MSFS and reuse of code is a common practice in software development.
Creating such complex software completely from scratch may be more time consuming, expensive and error prone, so if I had a code basis such as FSX, I would think it is smart to make good use of it.
However, this does not mean that huge parts weren’t rewritten and improved upon to bring MSFS to the level that it is at today.
I find the statement that code was just copied and pasted to be a very extreme oversimplification and even if code was reused, it does not in any way reflect negatively on the capabilities of the developers.
More the contrary.
Clearly regressions and bugs should not make it into release, but preventing that is difficult.
Remember that the software is huge, multiple teams work on the product simultaneously and every small change has the potential to break something unexpected no matter the talent.
To catch the issues testing is needed which is also in no way simple and finding/fixing the issue isn’t either.

Specifically concerning AI Traffic, it seems to be an area where improvement is still ongoing.
While for some it is very important, for others it is just nice to have, as different issues may be much more pressing.
The feedback snapshots indicate that improving/fixing the AI Traffic issues, that were already reported at release of MSFS, are planned to be fixed, but havent been specifically tackled yet.
The same is true for ATC issues.

I understand that this can be frustrating for users,
but the continuous effort to bring one of the arguably best Flight Simulaters to consumers should be appreciated, rather than diminished.

4 Likes