Air Canada Lockheed 10-A Electra CF-TCC 'Sentimental Journey'

Greetings -

today fourth leg of the Sentimental Journey from CYCG to CYYC

As during the previous leg, weather was perfect all the way to Calgary International Airport, just a bit of up- and down- drafts while crossing the ridges of the several mountain ranges encountered along the route. To fly over was necessary to climb up to 10.000 feet

Descent to Calgary leaving the snow capped mountains behind towards huge plains, with some mist at lower altitude. In sight of Calgary, I made a deserved diversion to circle around downtown with a lazy turn left to final for runway 34R.

Enjoy the views and happy flights!

2 Likes

Greetings -

today fifth leg of the Sentimental Journey from CYYC to CYEG via Red Deer YQF

Departure from Calgary few minutes before sunrise, with clear weather up to Red Deer where clouds became broken. Shortly after Red Deer the Lake Gull appeared to the west.

Approaching Edmonton the weather became clear to the west and still broken to the east (of course that was the approach direction to RWY 02) with low celiling.

A steady descent to the airport, with a circling few miles before touchdown to blow off the remaining altitude in excess, concluded with a smooth landing in calm air.

An unexpected change in planning occurred, as the original Sentimental Journey reported a stop at CYXD, the now closed Edmonton City Centre Airport.

The airport was closed in November 2013, and as of 2018, the land is being redeveloped by the City of Edmonton as a residential area called Blatchford.

At the beginning of next leg, I am looking forward to make a fly by on the old airport site, to see by myself how much remains of the original installation.

Once more, I am amazed at how gorgeous are the views provided by MSFS, the daylight effects and weather depiction are truly awesome!

How far this hobby of us has developed since the wireframe graphics of FS2 on the Commodore C64!!! With MS / Asobo masterpiece I think we are in the golden era of flight simming!

Enjoy the views and happy flights!

1 Like

2 Likes

Let me know when you’re in YVO

1 Like

Heya, thank you for your advice, for sure I will do!

Admittedly I took a break from the trip because of August vacations and real life needs, nonetheless I am still committed to fly the Electra through its paces across beautiful Canada, even more so considering the upcoming MSFS World Update

Looking forward to fly together - Clear skies!

Greetings -

today sixth leg of the Sentimental Journey from CYEG to CYQL via Red Deer YQF

After departure from Edmonton International Airport, I turned north in direction of downtown to make a fly by on the old airport site, to see by myself how much remains of the original installation.

The airport was originally called Blatchford Field, named for former mayor Kenneth Alexander Blatchford. It later was known as the Edmonton Municipal Airport, then as Edmonton Industrial Airport, and then Edmonton City Centre Airport (ECCA), finally ending as Blatchford Field at Edmonton City Centre Airport. Over the years, the three letter code “YXD” continued to be used for the airport by all of the airlines serving the airfield.

The airport was closed in November 2013, and as of 2018, the land is being redeveloped by the City of Edmonton as a planned community called “Blatchford”.

The remnants of the old airport are still clearly visible from the air, the runways pavements not yet completely removed and some of the old buildings still existing, such as the control tower (well, at least in the virtual rendering of MSFS)

After the fly over, I turned south for a very smooth trip to Lethbridge Airport, located 4 NM south southeast of Lethbridge.

From 1939 to 1948, Lethbridge operated as western Canada’s primary airline hub. According to the Trans-Canada Air Lines (TCA) system timetable dated January 1, 1940, Lethbridge was a stop on Trans-Canada’s transcontinental flights linking Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Regina and Vancouver with connecting service to and from Toronto via North Bay (which was one of the stops on the TCA transcontinental flights between Montreal and Vancouver) operated with Lockheed Electras.

Lethbridge Airport hosts the biennial Lethbridge International Airshow.

Wishing you will enjoy the views and happy flights!

1 Like