Air Canada Lockheed 10-A Electra CF-TCC 'Sentimental Journey'

Greetings,

while documenting myself on the Lockheed 10-A Electra, I learned that one of the two still airworthy is maintained by Air Canada.

In 1986, to celebrate its 50th Anniverdsary, Air Canada took its own restored Lockheed 10-A Electra CF-TCC along a route crossing Canada making 50 stops along the way. That endeavour has been called appropriately ‘Sentimental Journey’.

I am much tempted to recreate that flight along the same route, should be a wonderful low-and-slow, nostalgic sightseeing trip, but have find no information in Internet that may help to make a proper plan.

Maybe fellow simmers and aviation enthusiasts would help me on this topic?

Thank you very much in advance to everyone that will be kind to help.

Marco

Take a look at this brochure on e-bay, second image has the map. Including a stop in my hometown! YTS!

1 Like

What a great idea! If you find out more about all the stops please post it. I tried to look at the brochure images that @skypilotYTS posted above (great find BTW!) but I can’t really make out enough detail to figure out the exact stops.

1 Like

On the second page is the map, click it for full view, then right click and save the image to your PC, open it and zoom in.

Let me know if you have trouble and I’ll type it out as best I can.

2 Likes

Hi there!

Thank you @skypilotYTS for pointing to the brochure, good catch!

@Lerxtwood I have tried to download the map image as suggested but indeed the resolution is poor and the identifications of some stops are blurred, somehow difficult to read

Still the map is useful to plan the flight, if not exactly through the same stops, at least along most of them

Will keep searching for a while and maybe a fellow simmer that has a copy of the brochure may post here a better image of the map or if @skypilotYTS would be so kind to try figure out the list of stops that would be awesome

I stumbled upon an old news, the Air Canada Electra did another anniversary flight in 2017 (this time for the 80th!), although with lesser stops, this page lists them:

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/whats-that-silver-plane-in-the-air-air-canadas-lockheed-10-a-takes-to-the-skies-to-mark-the-airlines-80th-anniversary-643432793.html

I am still preferring the 50th route, seem much more leisurely and relaxed to be followed, with plenty of nice locations around east coastline and the big lakes

The more I think, the more I am intrigued by this flight… a nice way to discover the big north!

Cheers

Marco

1 Like

I had a friend enhance the image in photoshop and from that we were able to extract a list, I had to correct / hunt down a few but I think we got them all.

BC to Manitoba

YVR-YYJ-SEA-YYC-YXG-YEG-YQL-YXH-YYN-YXE-YPA-YQR-YQV-YBR-YWG

Eastern Ontario:

YQK-YYW-YQT-YAM-YYU-YTS-YSB-YYB-YXR

Eastern Quebec:

YUY-YVO

Southern Ontario

YQA-YOO-YXU-YYZ-YOW

Central Quebec:

YMX-YUL-YHU-

East Coast:

YFC-YSJ-YQI-YAW-YHZ-YQM-YSU-YYG-YQY-YYT-YQX-YJT

Northern Quebec:

YZV-YBG-YRQ-YQB

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Wow! You are truly AWESOME, men!!!

Thanks very much both of you for taking time and effort to identify and list all the waypoints!

I have no excuses now, it’s time to bring the old lady out of her hangar, hand turn the props to spread evenly the oil in those cylinders, fire up the big P&W ‘junior’ radials, make pre flight checks and…
the adventure begins!

I cannot say in advance how much time it will take to fly all the route, but I am not in a hurry, looking forward to enjoy the vistas, learn much more about Canada along the way and posting here some images

If other simmers will go along the same way, feel free to post here your adventures

The blue canadian sky is calling!

Marco

1 Like

Enjoy the journey, share pics along the way and let me know when you’re in YTS I’ll run out and meet ya :wink:

1 Like

Absolutely! Will be awesome to meet and fly together!
Count on me being there!

Marco

1 Like

That’s going above and beyond! Thanks so much for the extra effort!

@FivePeach767757, I flew Amelia Earhart’s round the world route when the Electra was first released. I’ve been wanting to tackle another series of flights in her so I may just end up tagging along. :slight_smile: :+1:

Thanks guys.

2 Likes

Heya @Lerxtwood!
Quite an achievement for sure, congratulations!
I had speculating to try flying that route, but had not yet found the necessary dedication :sweat_smile:

I have just completed the first leg of the ‘Sentimental Journey’ from YVR to YYJ, a short hop across the Strait of Georgia with pretty views of the many islets. The real weather was not great above Vancouver with low, dark clouds, but near Victoria it changed to a nice, sunny mood. I choose Electra NC17375 of Mid Continent Airlines because the livery of Trans Canada is too much dark to my taste, definitely not the appearance of bare aluminum.

Here some photos, wish you great flights!

1 Like

1 Like

Fantastic pics! I flew the same route today just to dust off the Electra. Didn’t snap any pics though, but I bet we were flying it at roughly the same time. I had the same weather you described at least.

I have never figured out how to take pics of the landing like your last picture! Very cool. I’m always concentrating too hard on the landing and the thought of trying to switch views and snap a screenshot just don’t compute… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have held off on buying this one so far, but your thread is tempting me towards it at last. I was fortunate to fly in the real CF-TCC out of Toronto Island 23 years ago. It was a charity fundraiser flight. Now I need to find my video of it!!

1 Like

Hi there!

@Lerxtwood thank you for your appreciation of my pictures! I still think to have opportunity to further improve :sweat_smile:

To take the photo of the landing I put the sim in pause mode (the leftmost button on the upper toolbar) when was a few feet on the ground in a nice straight and level attitude, then changed to the external view, rotate and zoom the camera to my liking and took the snapshot.

Going back to landing is … interesting because when I click the pause button with the mouse, at the same time having one hand on the joystick (or shall I say control wheel) the plane naver keeps the exact same attitude … the touchdown was a bit rough and the passenger complained but, alas, the picture was worth it :wink:

@KJKerr I read many negative opinions on the AM Electra and was set back for some time … then decided to go for it and, honestly, I am not disappointed. The modeling and texturing is pretty good (except for small round corners that show the ‘polygon’ like the corners of the cockpit windows), the flying qualities are plausible (I read the Electra was bit faster and nimbler than the contemporary DC-2, DC-3 and Boeing 247D, but with less payload capacity). The soundpack is recorded from real P&W Wasp Junior, is true that the sounds are not using WWISE so there is not the change while looking at the plane from different angles, but overall I think a nice plane that feels authentic for the era.

The only complaint I have is that aluminum texturing of CF-TCC is much darker than should be … odd! A pity because of course I planned to use indeed this type to fly the 50th route but, honestly, the plane skin looks wrong. Maybe some talented repainter will be able to correct this fault (and change the AH logo on the vertical fins with the Lockeed one).

I nicely envy your opportunity to fly the real CF-TCC, it must have been a truly memorable experience!
Oh, if you find your video, please post, I am very eager to see it

If @Lerxtwood wants to add his opinion of the AH Electra, I would take it in utmost consideration as he flew with it none the less the Amelia Earhart’s round the world ruote!

Great flights to everyone!

Marco

2 Likes

For everyone interested, enjoy this very nice video showing the preparation of Air Canada Electra CF-TCC for the 80th avviversary flight, with interviews of Captains flying modern airliners

2 Likes

Greetings -

today second leg of the Sentimental Journey from CYYJ to KSEA via CVV (Penn Cove) and PAE (Paine)

Departed from Victoria under broken clouds, once above PAE entered a dense, low altitude overcast. Visibility was nil at 1500 ft hence climbed up to 5000 ft to reach the open and sunny sky. Once on the vertical of KSEA, asked permission to land, granted for runway 34R. Hence moved south-south-west for approx 10 miles and turned back continuing the descent to 1000 ft. The airport became visible from a couple of miles away, from there a curved final for a smooth touchdown on 34R.

Phew! What was planned as a regular VFR flight turned out to end with a precision VOR approach in almost IFR conditions :sweat_smile:

Enjoy the views and happy flights!

2 Likes

2 Likes

Greetings -

today third leg of the Sentimental Journey from KSEA to CYCG

Weather was perfect all the way to West Kootenay Regional Airport, just a bit of up- and down- drafts while crossing the ridges of the several mountain ranges encountered along the route. To fly over was necessary to climb up to 10.000 feet

Approach to CYCG very scenic, descending heading north along the valley of Columbia river, with light mist and a sharp turn to final for runway 33 sweeping a hillside on the starboard.

Enjoy the views and happy flights!

1 Like

2 Likes