Air Manager/Air Player

Popping the Garmin screen from the cockpit still drops FPS to 30.

The thing is that (if running under DX11) the sim is limited to that single rendering frustum, so each new window created, no matter the size, the content or hardware used is just going to split the framerate in half. Not more, not less, but exactly in half.

I suggest we as a community just continue expressing the wish for Asobo to keep the work on DX12_2 a primary element of concern when it comes to the sim development at present. Like weā€™ve been doing. There is just too much that the new API can open up for us in the MSFS - not just the graphical improvements and innovation but technical stuff of a very practical nature.

1 Like

Tried it earlier. No matter what monitor, gpu or igpuā€¦fps still cut in half. Hopefully, as you say, ms will carry on working towards improving dx12ā€¦ for now though, Iā€™m gonna stick to dx11 for consistency, with no pop outs, using lnm for navigation.

You are missing the fact that the GPU usage goes down dramatically when you pull a panel in the cockpit. What ever the reason for the fps drop; it is down to a coding adoption and nothing more. The system is being told not to go above 30 fps.
There are plenty of games that allow windows to be pulled out without taking huge fps hits. So there is no restriction imposed except for the one that was adopted.

It is okay, I am aware of that, ainā€™t missing anything, I just didnā€™t mention it cuz it is irrelevant forā€¦okay so itā€™s kinda expected behavior for that scenario, for such solution as it is at present.

This oneā€™s kinda uniquely challenging. :grin:

I agree, yes, I mean not really adopted (ā€œadoptedā€ sounds as if they were oblivious to parallel multithreading and cockpit building, but they were not) - for whatever number of reasons they decided to focus on a single view for the start. Maybe something like ā€œletā€™s first make all of this work properly within a single viewportā€ idea.

I donā€™t know, itā€™s not that dramaticā€¦when you look whatā€™s been done until nowā€¦good stuffā€¦ :+1:

Except it is not irrelevant. The coding deliberately stops the system from using resources as soon as you pull that window out. It is nothing to do with multithreading or resource management in anyways whatsoever.

Except it is not. The topic of this thread does exactly this. It accesses the data provided by the game code, and then produces an output. There is no bottleneck because of coding restrictions.

It was irrelevant for me to mention up there, it was not part of what I wanted to comment upon, it is a lesser detail alongside a number of others in this scenario.

It is more challenging than other games in every aspect you can imagine.
Of courseā€¦that :point_up_2: doesnā€™t have anything to do with the fact that it started without the native multi-display support and that the best way I could deal with it when designing was to go with 4 licenses and split/synced load across 3 machines (I know what is the topic).

Anyway, nothing is deliberate, nobody is being evil or whatever and it is surely being worked on and we will get those options natively in the MSF simulator - itā€™s just how it is for now and it is becoming better every day.

So apparently the devs have a fix for the fps drop when you use popouts.

Coming in SU8 which I think means late Feb.

This means that Iā€™m now probably going to add yet another 15.6" touchscreen to my setup. :rofl:

A central one for the main instruments, and one either side for the 2 g1000 overlays in the C172 (with a couple of other instruments on each to fill space, making 2 Garmin and 10 instruments in total).

I need to test a DP to HDMI adapter I just bought though, as Iā€™m totally out of hdmi ports on my pc now haha. Assuming that works, I canā€™t think of a good reason not to have another screen.

Out of curiosity, when you set a g1000 overlay in air manager, how will it know which one is which? Only potential issue Iā€™m thinking of is, when you start everything up from cold, you need to press a button usually to boot up the right hand Garmin screenā€¦ can air manager set one for each side? Or would I have to use mouse to turn it on?

Not sure you need 3 screens. Why would you need 10 instruments centrally and G1000 screens either side of that.

When setting up the overlays there are user properties you can select to make each overlay control either the PFD or MFD functions. You only do this once when you first add the instrument to the panel and should never have to touch it again.

1 Like

Yes, perhaps ā€œneedā€ isnā€™t the word. I do think it would look great though, also means I could just load everything up when I boot and Iā€™ve got options for flying either by Garmin on the 172 or instrument in the 152. Youā€™re right though, definitely not a necessity haha.

Do you know Air Manager can automatically swap panels based on the loaded aircraft?

Oh, thatā€™s a good point actually, I forgot that!

Really late to this party but just now setting up my cockpit and Air Manager came up in things I was reading. I have a spare iPad I never use and it would be great just to have a few gauges on it that I could set via touch rather than reaching past all my hardware controls (Alpha and Bravo Honeycomb) to get to the mouse to process the main screen.

But all this convo confuses me - do I need MORE than just Air Player (with the plugin for the main program installed, which it did successfully)? How the heck does the iPad actually connect, anyway? Is it wireless to my network, and wouldnā€™t that slow down FPS?

Give an old man a clue here, please.

A few related facts to help you understand how the different products work.

Air Player will not work on its own. You can have as many Air player machines as you like but you first need to have one copy of Air Manager.

A tablet can be added in 2 ways. First by using the dedicated tablet app for either iOS or Android. Secondly by using a screen extension app such as Spacedesk to extend you main machines desktop. The advantages of the second option are that you can still use popouts, it runs off the Air Manager App you should already have and you can use instruments not in the community store.

Hmmm - in looking at Spacedesk Iā€™m thinking then that Air Manager brings to the table the touchscreen possibilities, is that right? How do the two work together? If I popout an instrument that needs touchscreen (so it now shows on my iPad via Spacedesk) what do I have to do to make Air Player allow this to work via touch?

(Or is this so far above this old manā€™s head he had better just stick to basics? My head is beginning to swim).

You donā€™t need Air player in this scenario.

Spacedesk just makes your tablet another windows monitor so you just use it as such. Nothing special required.

Ah - maybe I had better forget it.

Unless thereā€™s something about the Spacedesk client for iOS I donā€™t understand it doesnā€™t appear to be running on my iPad (I just touch it and it just disappears). Maybe the server app on MSFS needs to be running but itā€™s still an odd behavior that doesnā€™t give me much confidence.

But I do appreciate your response. I used to understand tech but since Iā€™ve retired things seem to have passed me by .

I donā€™t need the visual with my 65 inch display but I did not like
having to switch to the cockpit just to arm the NAV and APPR functions.

SU11 AAU1 Beta changed that. I now have Cockpit/External, AP, NAV, APPR
along with Parking Brake programmed to buttons on my Flight Stick.

Mouse not required.

I had looked at Spacedesk. It is free at the moment but was only until some date, forgot what that was.

I didnā€™t want to invest time into it and then find out that I couldnā€™t afford it.

Anyway, now, I donā€™t need anything.

If I can get Spacedesk to work it would solve my problem (vision an issue so popping out the GPS map separately would be TREMENDOUS). Iā€™m not afraid it may end up costing $$$ - if this general approach works Iā€™ll end up buying another small touchscreen monitor and hook it directly to my GPU. So this is mostly just a proving ground on whether I want to re-direct plane controls to another monitor.

So far I can get the host application running fine on my main computer but not on my iPad. But Iā€™m updating the iOS version just in case (it should have been recent enough but you never know).

1 Like

Okay I got it to work (I guess I DID need to update my iOS) but Iā€™m still a bit confused.

I arranged it so the second display (the iPad) is below the primary screen - I assume this is how to do it. But how do I get the gauges in MSFS to move down there? I know I can pop them out from the main screen, but can I just drag them down below? Is that the idea, to drag them downward until they ā€œhitā€ my iPad? And then is there a way to save this setup so the next time Iā€™m flying I donā€™t need to completely set things up again?

Also - it seems weird to me that a gauge dragged in this manner would respond to touchscreen. My main computer doesnā€™t have touchscreen - will dragging a gauge to the iPad somehow enable this feature? I guess Iā€™ll play with this tomorrow (too late tonight to do much more).