Air Manager Instruments sharing thread

not sure if you want to go this route, but desktop aviator has some pretty good panels available

https://www.desktopaviator.com/Products/Model_2390/index.htm

The beauty of Air Manager and the virtual instruments / controls is that you can configure for any plane type without getting locked into anything. I can fly a steam gauge C152 one moment, a CJ4 the next, switch back to a Mooney, then hop into a TBM, then hop into a Bonanza. My touch screens get reconfigured to match the instrument sets and layouts for the plane I’m flying. Sure, it’s touch screen and not physical instruments (outside of using the Knobster to use the knobs), but the look, feel, and layouts can be made to reasonablty match the layout, look and feel of the real plane.

Hardware is preferable when you’re into flying a particular plane or building a cockpit for training purposes. If that was the case, I would be all over getting the hardware panels and components to have a layout as close to the real live cockpit as possible. If I was enamoured enough with 1 plane to want to fly it exclusively, I would definitely go this route.

For me, it’s about versatility. And you just can’t beat the versatility of Air Manager. I can fly anything without locking myself into anything. If I wasnt a particular instrument panel that someone else hasn’t already created, then I just create it myself. And that’s the point of this thread - sharing instruments that we’ve created with other Air Manager users.

1 Like

Turns out I quite like flying the Mooney with the dual G5s. They’re very nice, work really well, and don’t require any pop outs. They basically replace all my gauges and make for a much cleaner layout.

Now if we could only get the updated Mooney in the marketplace so that the fuel selector will work again. :confused: There’s no way to cold start it now. Has to be done with Ctrl + E. And there’s no way to switch tanks, so longer flights are pretty much impossible unless you cheat and readjust fuel levels constantly to maintain weight balance.

Next I make a dual G5 C152 panel. lol

and thank you for starting this thread. as you know, love the setup you have. I just need more time with air manager to get to the level you are at.

1 Like

Just want to thank all who have shared their instruments here. For people like myself (no knowledge of coding), this is truly appreciated. Is there anyway to change the color of the instrument? again to all thanks for your work :+1:

Colour of an instrument is not programming, but graphics work. If you open an instrument for programming view in AM, you get a “Folder” icon in the top ribbon. Click that and it will open Windows Explorer to the folder that contains that instrument. All the graphic files that make up the instrument will be under the Resources folder. You can open them with any compatible graphic editing software and make the parts pink and purple with green polka dots if you wish. lol

Take note that not all editing tools (like MS Paint, for example) support transparency and can save as PNG. If an instrument has transparency and you use a program that doesn’t support it, you’ll basically wreck that graphic. Photoshop or paint .net or GIMP will all work fine.

1 Like

In case it’s not mentioned in the video, which I haven’t had time to watch all the way through, it’s worthwhile for those new to Air Manager, to mention the hardware available for mounting the touch screens solidly on the Honeycomb controllers. They’re available through Stay Level, and they’re worth the price because without a machine shop or an extremely well equipped home shop, it’s murder trying to come up with something that’s perfect for the project.

1 Like

I have 2 of these already. That’s how my monitors are attached. I highly recommend them.

Added carburator heat handle for C152.

@skypilotYTS - I’m guessing you’ll probably want this.

I am currently using Air Manager ON an old iPad. Is there any way to get new instruments into that device?

Ps… laughing when I see my phone capitalized the word on. Tip of the hat to a certain province maybe?

From what I understand, you need to also have the PC version and then you push custom intruments to the iPad version. At least that’s how I understand it.

1 Like

Sir, you are awesome. I’ve been using Air Manager for a while now and love making my own panels but have no clue how to make the instruments themselves. At 66 years old and having had two strokes learning how to code them would be a Herculean task. I love how you share your work. I just downloaded everything you’ve posted here. I’m sure you have more on your plate than I have hairs in my beard, but, one of these days if you get to it, could you make more Baron stuff than what is in the Air Manager stuff that’s available. I find myself flying that more than anything else that MSFS offers. Jets are too fast for this old brain of mine. :smiley:

Edit: I forgot to say that I built my own Knobster and mounted it in a case that you can 3D print yourself, or have someone do it for you. It works great.

Added fuel selector valve for Beechcraft Bonanza

Which gauges are you using in the center for the altitude reading etc?

Those are the payware Garmin G5. They’re actually pretty sweet. Since they’re self-contained, no pop-outs required to run them. Worth the 20 euros as far as I’m concerned.

For kicks, I also made a “modern” C152 using them. It’s hilarious, but at the same time, not totally unrealistic, as the G5 is a fairly affordable Garmin often retrofitted into old planes to modernize them.

I’m new to Air Manager and am wanting to try it out before spending $75. Is it possible to demo the above G1000 overlay? When I import the SIFF file, I only seen a black screen on my panel. Am I doing something wrong? It renders the sizing preview in Air Manager, just not in the actual panel. Thoughts? Do I need a full license first? Thanks!

I honestly don’t know. You’re very limited in what you can do with the demo version outside of the demo panel which you can’t really modify or resize. I suspect you won’t be able to use the G1000 in demo mode.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply! I’ll continue playing around with the steam gauges in the meantime. :slight_smile:

If I knew how to make instruments, I would definitely make some and join you on posting/sharing them.

With that said, I’m interested in making (or having you make :wink:) a bezel for the touchscreen in the Cessna Longitude. I’d like to have easier access to the knobs on the bottom of the display that control the zoom of the map and other functions as well.

I’ve used the instruments for the CJ4 (primarily the FMS bezel), and it seems to work well. Well, I will say I’ve had some weird things with it, but it might be an issue with Air Manager itself. When I’d click on a button (like a letter), the first click would always make the simulator freeze for a few seconds, then it would work. Same with the knobs. Once I’d use each function once, it seemed to work ok after - but the knobs always give me issues, usually if I’m scrolling more than a couple clicks of the knob. It acts like I’m unplugging and plugging back in a controller when I use them (which causes the 3 second freeze).

Lately, Air Manager won’t even pull data from FS2020 anymore. It says it connects, but nothing works on it anymore. Air Manager instruments are no longer sending commands to FS2020, and FS2020 is no longer sending data to the Air Manager instruments. I’m going to try to reinstall Air manager and see if that helps it…

But back on topic - A bezel for the lower touch screen in the Cessna Longitude would be awesome! I’ll try to make it myself with some tips, if you can provide any sources!

There’s an issue with the plugin. If you quit the sim or crash, restarting it won’t connect, even though AM will say it’s connected to the sim in its status bar.

I recommend keeping a copy of the plugin’s installer on your desktop and just running it before opening up the sim to guarantee a connection. You can also go into your system services, shut down the service and restart. That works as well. But a quick reinstall is much aster. Only takes a few seconds.

As for the Longitude bezel, I’d have to see if there exposed commands for the knobs. It really shouldn’t be difficult at all as long as the commands are there. I have those bezels for the TBM working, but it’s not the same events as with the Longitude.

1 Like