Airbus a320 autopilot broken

Yes, their choice not to use C++ which would have streamlined a lot of things, My issue is the game was never ready for release. Look at the development updates, everything is ‘ongoing’ ‘backlog’ ‘TBD’. You completely missed my point, yes PMDG releases a $120 aircraft, The community A32x is freeware and is exceptionally above what ASOBO/MS have done. You do not market a game as the most realistic simulator, when the sole focus has been on scenery, airports, weather. It’s all about the aesthetics, Myself and many other real world pilots, cannot use systems that do not operate the way they’re supposed too. You missed my point about the financial backing of A32x and it’s comparison to MS/Asobo, Again, it’s freeware. They navigate around every broken release that has been thrown at them. ‘oh your airbus hydraulic pressure fails on its own’ becomes fixed ‘Oh your airbus sways, let us fix that’ here is your fix … ‘oh now your airbus performs a 45 degree left bank turn until it crashes into the ground’. I have faith in all third-party developers, they are working with a broken SDK like lol. No Autoland, SID/STAR navigation skips, Autopilot doesn’t even work for some people, Travel to resets Squawk, Altitude, Speed, Cannot maintain the flightpath. Like what is your reply? That the game is good because it looks good? Because it’s going to be continued to made to look good?

When you have 5 months, of nothing but continuous aircraft system failures, that you neglect, just to push scenery and weather fixes, you’re going to get more and more hot-headed people, especially those who bought the game as a flight tool. Lets look at cyberpunk, the game is full of bugs, but those bugs have been smoothed out in <1 month of game release. The game was also pushed to consoles that couldn’t even handle it, due to demand. My point exactly, the game should never have been released, it was too soon. You should not be leaving autopilot issues in nearly all aircraft take over a month to fix and push. I would much rather scenery delayed as opposed to the flight mechanics. The game already looks superb, no doubt about it. But I didn’t spend $120USD to get a non-working simulator with inaccurate flight systems and some pretty scenery.

I am actually still stunned that your reply, is in a thread labelled ‘autopilot broken’ and you’re telling me about aesthetics?

FSX:
Flight Training - Comprehensive, Solo > PPL > Instrument Rating > Commercial > ATPL, all Narrated, Certificates Awarded.
Aircraft selection? 18 Planes. vs MSFS 20 in Standard, Most of which are generic GA aircraft, great for that scenery. Oh not to mention it’s Helicopters, Jets, Military Aircraft, Carrier Missions,
Challenges in comparison to FSX which had 10 Tutorials, 30+ Missions in base Game, A working logbook, A multiplayer system in which I could share the same plane as my friends,
Flight planning? Iirc I could manually design my flight plan in FSX and know my aircraft was going to follow it.
In 2006.

First of all, my A320 autopilot is not broken, it works.
I understand your frustration. I was an alpha tester and got some of the histories.
My first contact with flight simulation was the ATP from Sublogic, which was “revolutionary” for its time but far from perfect.
I continued with various versions of FS, which even after your “5 months” were sometimes an imposition.
Then P3D v4++ - V5.1 HF1 (still problematic) and of course X-Plane 10 and 11 (I still love it).
As everything is compared I personally agree with the speed and quality of development of MSFS. Everything in the world could be better, but all things have their pace.
This is all my personal opinion and can of course differ greatly from the opinion of others.

2 Likes

I am approaching 400hrs in the A320 now on MSFS. This mostly in the FBW mod which is superb. There have been times when the A/P has been busted, usually by Asobo themselves after what I believe are often rushed updates to meet “targets”. The A/P is usually fixed after a day or two (sometimes faster) .In my opinion the “stock” A320 is quite stable at the moment. My autopilot is doing as it should in both the stock and FBW versions. There will be a reason why you believe your A/P is broken, and its probably hardware related, there are countless threads that try to detail issues and solutions. One of the most common is ensuring that you are set to “modern” and that your various control “null” zones are set to around 10. There is a massive community on here willing to help those with issues. I have left Xplane for MSFS, and despite the various niggles that do come along (like the current spikes in terrain), I cant see myself going back. MSFS is a work in progress, and when working well is the most stunning simulation I have ever experienced (I have also been lucky enough to use full motion simulators from 747’s, Airbus’s and even a Eurofighter Typhoon.) The graphics in MSFS are better than them all!!!
Let us help you to solve your issues, the A320 A/P is working. What control device are you using, what are your settings?

3 Likes

I am also stunned how you compare this cyberpunk killersimulation game with the Flightsimulation ?

Time has the ability to gloss over things.
In regards to FSX,
Do you remember the A320 that didn’t work at all on release,
Funky autopilots and several compatability issues that took two patches, (over a year) to fix.
Turboprop engines that still don’t work right to this day.
Airplanes porpoising all over the sky when at altitude, which took ages to fix.
There was almost as many gripes about FSX when it was released, as there is with this sim.

And this was in a sim that was basically just an upgrade from the older MS sims, not an 80% or so new sim.
I do agree that this sim’s release was premature, and I personally was fooled by MS’s marketing as I thought the sim was much further along in it’s development than it actually was at release (and even now).
However, here we are, for the most part it has improved nicely since it’s release, and issues are being worked out regularly.
It has a developer that is trying hard to make it better, and the communication between the developer and users is like nothing FSX or P3D ever had.
I do agree this sim can be frustrating, but on the other hand, so can any of the other sims, even today.
This sim may give you a few more surprises than the older sims, but again, issues are not exclusive to MSFS, and given the technology difference, that is somewhat understandable.
Just my 2 cents!

Setting the flight model setting to Modern fixed the problem

1 Like

Indeed, a sandbox simulation doesn’t really compared to a closed world/relatively linear experience. People do not really understand the nature of ‘bugs’ either and it infuriates me sometimes that people cannot appreciate the difficulties in simulating physics with multiple parameters in a large variety of settings and conditions.

In short, you’re more likely to break a sim than a single player game. A sim such as MSFS will also be more difficult to iron out bugs, because of the large variety of variables at play means specific, fine-tuned, conditions sometimes have to be met. I would not be able to test a patch with every stock aircraft across every square mile and airport across the bloody 1:1 scale globe we have.

Anyway, I am waffling here…

Cheers,

Someone familiar with simulating physics

1 Like

Increasing the dead zones helped my autopilot issues.
I do think perhaps Asobo should increase the deadzone default setting, I mean a lot of users are reporting AP issues that turn out to be this and to be fair if this was nipped in the bud, genuine AP issues might surface more easily for the community or Asobo to deal with.
The devs should avoid considering issues resolved just because more experienced users discover solutions/work arounds. It’s like the 'turn off crash detection, then you can land on ice" advisory, it kind of misses the point!

1 Like

You are right about “work-arounds” !

This problem is caused by the way the autopilot reacts to small signals from a controller that doesn’t quite return to center when released (and it doesn’t need to be by much, most folks don’t even see the difference).
Fixing the A/P is the better way, deadzones make it quite difficult to control a plane smoothly.

Having said that, ASOBO are doing a revamp of a lot of aircraft, so I suspect this issue will be dealt with, since it is so common.

Even so, there needs to be a line though. At least, they need to apply deadzone to the autopilot itself, and not only on the controller deadzone. Where you would only disengage the AP when you pull the stick at least halfway in any direction. Other than that as long as the AP is active, any inputs that belong to 50% pressure or less should be ignored.

What I don’t like about deadzones, is that without them, when the yoke is turned, even just a little,
the plane responds. That is how that Cessna I’m beside in my pic responds as well (obviously).
With a deadzone, you turn the yoke through the deadzone and then the plane starts to respond.
That makes it more difficult, especially when doing an approach in windy conditions, as you tend to move the yoke quickly thus overcorrecting.
A real plane doesn’t have that dead spot in the controls and is much easier/smoother to handle.

For me, without deadzone, vibrations from my footsteps on the floor will travel to my controller and my joystick will vibrate and it’ll respond in the sim, either turning my plane or changing my throttle power. It was happening to my X56, and it’s happening to my TCA quadrant as well. Even in my TCA quadrant, even when I’m holding my sidestick my rudder axis tends to make jittery movements. And only when I’m deliberately twisting the rudder controls, is where the rudder stabilises. But as soon as I center my rudder axis, it jitters again in the middle. That’s why I need the deadzone, it’s to avoid these unwanted jittery movements that I’m not deliberately making from my hardware.

Ideally of course, the controls in the real plane are properly and professionally calibrated by a team of professional engineers. So they’re designed to behave perfectly every single time without any margin of error. Home simulation hardware however, don’t get treated by the same level of engineering as the real plane does. So margin of errors like this are to be expected.

Which is why my point still stands. The deadzone needs to be on the autopilot side. Not just only on the controls. Because even if you set your controls to have no deadzones. You need the autopilot to ignore inputs up to 50% pressure on any direction whenever the Autopilot is on. It should not react to any input when the AP is on. Only when you deliberately pushing the controls to 50% pressure or more, is when the AP disengages and switch to the direct input. If in your case doesn’t have deadzone, then it’s a direct no-deadzone inputs. But as soon as you engage AP, it should ignore any input up to 50% pressure.

1 Like

Not reacting to inputs when the A/P is on, unless it is a large push to disconnect, would be my preference.
I’m on a pretty solid floor, so no issues like that for me!!

Been having issues with the A320 autopilot myself on at least half my flights, to the extent where if I don’t notice it and disable it and try to manually correct it, I usually end up crashing. I’m pretty new to flight simulator so I thought I must’ve been doing something wrong but no luck. Maybe I’ll try the 3rd party patch and see if that helps. For those that don’t have the patch, I’ve found that by assigning a departure path and ILS approach in your flight plan from the world map before starting seems to help, but of course all it takes is a go-around from ATC to throw you for a loop and make the autopilot go haywire…

This is a fairly common issue.

These are the first steps to take.

With the sim running, if you are on the start up screen, from the top heading, select “Options”, or if you are already in the sim, press “ESC” on the keyboard.

• Under “General”
    Set “Flight Model” to “Modern”, not “Legacy”.
  • Under “Assists”
    Set all “Piloting” assists to “Off”
  • When you are in the sim, from the “winged” sim icon, Open AI Control (icon to the right of the yoke icon), and ensure that “Control Aircraft” is “Off” (button placed to the left).
  • Next, and quite important, is to add deadzones to each axis for all your controllers. Approximately 5% should be enough, but there have been instances where significantly more was needed.

Do not assume, even if you know how you had these already set, ensure these are this way now.
The last few updates did change some user settings.

FYI, the moderators are a bit strict on posting in the Bugs & Issues section, as per the site rules, so you should search all the other sections of the forum that may pertain to your issue before you post here.
This section of the forum is for proven bugs that you can’t find a solution elsewhere on the forum or aren’t already in this section. (If they are, vote them up!)

1 Like

I use the Fly By Wire A320 as others here. Think I’m one version less but it works great from me. Like others, stock A320 would sometimes just go around in circles…nice job Asobo!

I do most of my Flight Planning on the MCDU, from one airport to the next with little if any issues.

The performance of the plane is superior to the stock, last I tried anyway. Love to bring her in with no AP, auto-throttle only. Good luck!

This is an issue which generally arises from uncommanded micro-signals from a controller, and sends the autopilot crazy.
It is very common. These steps almost always cure the issue.

Do you use the Custom FBW version?
If not, and you haven’t tried it, you should.

For me, I just ignore ATC whenever they give me go around and just plough through. But even if I do end up doing a go around. It’s not really that hard, just set to selected heading, and climb to the go around altitude, do a 180 degree turn, make some distance, then do another 180 degree turn and recapture the localiser and glideslope and attempt another landing.