Airbus TCA throttle engine switch not working after SU8

After updating MSFS to SU8, the engine master switch (rotary knob) is misbehaving.
I left the binds at the factory defaults.
Now, for example, when turning it from IGN to Norm, it doesn’t always accept the input, and I have to go back to iGN then to Norm again.
In a separate input profile for GA, I had the binds set to magneto positions.
Crank = Off, Norm = Both, IGN = Start. Worked fine until recently.
Now, when on start, it keeps firing on and off but doesn’t actually start the engine.

Another thing now, when I press ESC to get into the settings main page and return to the game, suddenly the flaps are set to full extension. That happens with every aircraft. No keyboard or mouse binds set for flaps.

Does anyone have a solution for these “fun” new antics?

The default profile of the TCA Quadrant is with an assumption that you have the Flaps and Spoilers addons attached. This is to have some additional hidden logic built-in to the default profile for the landing gear that’s part of the flaps and spoilers attachments.

If you don’t have them attached on your setup, the Sim will incorrectly receiving “phantom inputs” from your hardware, because the TCA Quadrant seems to be feeding with the input even if it’s not attached. (Think of it as a default position from the quadrant itself). That’s why when you press ESC, the sim is receiving these phantom inputs from the non-existent hardware making your flaps fully extended.

To solve this, make sure you do the following steps (which hopefully solves your engine master switch as well).

1. Delete every single custom profile that you have previously built in the sim. This will revert everything back to the absolute default profile.
  2. Duplicate that Default profile into the first aircraft that you want to bind (A320neo).
  3. Remove any commands that comes from the spoilers and flaps addons. That means remove the commands for Spoilers Axis, Flaps Axis, Rudder Trim, Rudder Trim Reset, Landing Gear, Parking Brake, Autobrake.
  4. Save that setting, then test it on the A320neo on your engine switches and everything else.
  5. If everything goes well, switch to the default profile again, and duplicate that profile, and use it with the GA label.
  6. Do steps 3 all over again.
  7. But before you change the switches to control magneto and everything, test the profile as is in GA. (I deleted all my GA aircraft since I don’t fly them anyway, so I’m not sure if this works or not). If it works the way it’s suppose to, you can leave it as is. Otherwise, if the magneto doesn’t work, you can rebind the switch accordingly one thing at a time.

When it comes to TCA Quadrant profile, you can’t start from a blank profile, there’s a lot of hidden codings behind that default profile that is essential for the full functionality of the quadrant to work. You start from a new profile from scratch, you won’t have those hidden codings in that blank profile, so you’ll notice things don’t work the way they’re suppose to.

So delete any other custom profile, start from the absolute default profile as a base, duplicate that, and manually delete the bindings that you don’t have/use. And do this minimalistically.

2 Likes

I had the same problem. It suddenly appeared out of nowhere.
In the end I solved it by:
Crank mapped to Button 7 on press
Ign/Start mapped to Button 8 on press
Mode Norm mapped to Button 7 release and Button 8 release (you have to do them both one in each of the two fields)
It complains about already having Buttons 7 and 8 already mapped but mine worked ok

1 Like

Thanks guys, I’ll give it all a shot now.

Interesting about that “phantom pain” you’re mentioning … I don’t have the add-ons yet.

EDIT: Sigh…now I’m getting CTDs when trying to duplicate the default profile. Oh the joy…

I was having random issues where it wouldn’t return to normal always. And I just did World update 9 beta and I think it’s completely broken. I have my settings exactly the same as yours and it works fine from Crank to Norm but when I go from Norm to Ign/start the button wigs out in the Sim and just starts going back and forth between norm and ign/start ugh. I have the same thing set up as you do. As a temporary fix I switched button 8 and 7 so 8 shows first and then 7 for the norm position and it works flawlessly for ign/start and now wigs out when I move to crank but I don’t ever use crank so I’d rather have it work for ign/start. Hopefully this is just a bug and can be fixed quickly!

1 Like

I haven’t updated to SU9 beta so haven’t experienced any further problems (I’m tempting fate here).
I’ll wait until the update is imposed upon us and if I experience the same issue as yourself I’ll probably do the same workaround as yourself if there’s no proper fix by then.
It’s all very strange it happening out of the blue like that but hey ho it’s all part of the MSFS experience to increase our blood pressures.

HAHA couldn’t have said it any better. It definitely for me for a loop cause I assumed it was my quadrant. I uninstalled, reinstalled, removed all mods, reset to default and it still did it. And does it on both the FBW and default. Playing with it and found my temp fix i realized it had to be an Asobo issue since it flips to the other side when i rearrange. So I am going to load to their beta issues page and MAYBE it will be looked at and corrected, or have a correction coming before its all put out there lol.

+1 - Mine got progressively worse, each update. and now it’s making its own tune as it flicks between the two

Did you get any ideas on the cause?

Did you solve the problem with the Mode Selector switch? My problem: I can switch from NORM to IGN/START no problem. But I need to turn the switch from IGN/START to CRANK and back to NORM. It will not switch from IGN/START to NORM. Also the CRANK position does not work - I can’t switch from NORM to CRANK. The click spots for the switch work fine in the SIM
. Thanks for reply

Maybe this helps (German website):

Yeah, it works for me.

You need to bind them using “ON RELEASE” to switch back to NORM.
In the TCA, only the CRANK and IGN/START position has a virtual button. Meaning they’re only active if your switch position is on those mode. NORM mode has no virtual button assign, so you can’t command the sim to apply NORM mode when position there.

What you can do is applying NORM mode when the switch is “released” from the IGN/START or CRANK virtual buttons.

You do this by assigning the NORM mode command to the same virtual buttons as the one you assign to IGN/START and CRANK virtual buttons. The difference is, you need to open the control bindings for them again, and change from ON PRESS to ON RELEASE. That way, when the sim detects that the switch is released from IGN/START position, it goes to NORM.

1 Like