Aircraft ground handling has a lot room for improvement (e.g. take off rudder)

I think it’s no secret that airplanes in MSFS behaves less than ideal during take off roll and how it handles rudder input and yaw.

It feels like every aircraft has super sticky front tyre and a tiny amount of input can steer the aircraft quite drastically. I think XPlane 11 mastered the ground handling of aircrafts, and I really hope MSFS can improve on this topic. And no I’ve tried multiple sensitivity settings, it has nothing to do with sensitivity, with similar sensitivity, XP11 feels really natural, there is a bit of weight for every aircraft, when you moving the rudder while taking off in a 737 you can tell it’s a multi ton jet airliner where in MSFS, even 747 feels like it can so much grip and rudder authorities, it just feels off.

Please improve the ground handling of aircrafts. Thank you.

I don’t agree at all. Ground handling is on of x-planes weak points and its 747 moves on the ground like a drunken camel.
Haven’t tried x-plane since quite some time, but does the 747 still tilt to one side when taxiing in a strong crosswind?
MSFS is IMO definitely more realistic.

2 Likes

Hi @iltarix ,

You may still want to reduce the sensitivity of your yaw axis in the joystick settings.
I use -35% at both SENSITIVITY - as well as SENSITIVITY + to tame the ground roll.

As for the 747 in X-Plane, this is an old XP9 or XP 10 model. The default XP11 C-172 works much nicer as do most XP11 planes.

Hope this helps.

-33% here on all axis. Which is IMO a necessary compromise due to the reduced size/travel of a joystick compared to the real equipment.

Today’s Q&A covered this topic in the Ground Friction Discussion. Seems they have a lot planned to improve this area (Complete re-write of the code base to move away from FSX Legacy code)

And it sounded like some improvement should come with the next sim update. It will be great if it does. Even with pedals there are some models that I find very dificult to keep straight.

Yes, Im finding it difficult with rudder pedals for some models.
Any improvement will be most welcome.

The fact this topic only has 31 votes is an absolute joke. No wonder it hasn’t been improved by Asobo.

1 Like

Upvoted this topic and submitted the following to Zendesk:

SU12 improved the G1000 Skyhawk’s ability to track centerline on takeoff with crosswind, but taxiing is still very difficult (might be moreso in the Classic; not sure if they share the same flight model at this juncture). Mainly, the nosewheel will slide sideways despite pointing in the correct direction and cause the body to weathervane. Noticed this after landing at KCMX with 20 knots down the nose in the Classic. After vacating the runway and turning side into wind, the airplane could not be coaxed to taxi straight and veered off the pavement despite proper aileron correction into the wind, furious differential braking, and blasts of throttle. I re-tested with same wind conditions using the G1000 version, and it seemed to do slightly better but control was still very poor on the ramp. Re-tested same wind conditions with lighter C152, and it taxied beautifully. The C172s are near perfect, and this is the last major issue with those birds following the Working Title Garmin upgrades. As an expeditious interim solution, wondering if a) the G1000 flight model can be ported to the Classic if this hasn’t been done already and b) gear friction can be increased. Note, I’m on Xbox so cannot purchase 3rd party enhancements like the JF WBsim add-on.

Happy flying, and taxiing, everyone!

crossposting here to help provide some context

not sure if this of any help (beileve me, I also feel the crosswind effect is wayy too much).

Devmode (via general options) does have a logging tool under debug > aircraft > Aircraft Data

What I’m thinking; if an environment occurs with crazy crosswind behaviors, it might be ideal to log this graph. In theory, if the cross wind remains steady, than the same amount of rudder and aileron must be held to hold a heading (should denote as a steady line on the graph). What I’ve been noticing is regardless of controls (i.e. concerning headwind, tuck the ailerons into, etc.), the wind just whisks the 172 around (IRL the wind can push the Skyhawk around rather easily, but at least there’s still control)

As someone who learned to fly in a 172, while it is affected by crosswinds, during the roll the nosewheel dominates the direction. It only weathervanes once the tires leave the ground, and it’s a pronounced rotation into the wind when that happens. Even with 30kt crosswinds from the right I have never had to apply left rudder to maintain directional control. In the sim I have had full left rudder deflection during a takeoff roll with a crosswind half that amount. The directional control in the sim is completely wrong during both takeoff and landing. XPlane does in fact have this nailed BTW.

3 Likes

Not only this but every aspect of the sim while on the ground is a disappointment and needs improvement.

2 Likes