Aircraft should make trails through clouds (wingtip vortices)

I’d like to see the wings, propellers, etc. actually cut through the clouds as the plane passes through. Right now, it seems like there is no collision at all between aircraft and clouds, which looks very unrealistic.

Yep, this is the first thing this sim needs.

1 Like

Collision? You know clouds are just water vapor, right? There’s no “collision” in real life either, except your wings get a bit wet.

I just mean “collision” from a computer programming sense; that the plane interacts with the clouds, where the wind moving over the wings and the propellers makes disturbances in the clouds as the plane passes through, does it not? image

2 Likes

K…more like a visual wake turbulence effect. Perhaps with the particle update coming onboard this would be possible?

2 Likes

Hey guys,

contrails are one thing but especially when jets come out - which will be a thing - we need nice
wingtip vortices.

Best Regards
Steffo

1 Like

I cant see it happening. To calculate the vortexes generated proportionally with speed, density, alt, etc would take a bunch of processing power (slowing the game) just to provide a slightly more realistic aerodynamic model. Its a lot of work for very little payoff. Perhaps in future when more advanced aero models are available that actually are calculated based on the shape as opposed to just giving it values in a text file it would be doable.

Since the developed model of the atmosphere is supposed to be realistic, this is a valid point.

There is still much work to do with cloud/atmosphere “behavior”.

If they add wake turbulence to the game then you can kiss your frame rates goodbye.

Not true, wake can now be calculated ad-hoc to the current processing within game engines. Such as Eagle Dynamics simulations here: [Wake Turbulence Visualization - YouTube](https://Complex Vortex Simulations)

2 Likes

Hello pilots,

when flying not too far above the cloud layer there is an awesome looking feature visible called “cloud downwash”.

340px-Learjet_45_of_the_Irish_Air_Corps_in_flight

Cessna_downwash

This cloud downwash graphics effect could be implemented with the same graphics engine that is making the V-like shape a float plane is cutting into water.

I think the Flight Sim 20 should have this fantastic graphics effects, if possible to implement :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe you could post this in the Q&A section?
Great idea. Not so sure about the reuse of ‘water engine’. I see your point but guess that too much is different between water and cloud convection. But I could be wrong, of course.

Agree, should be a part of that wake turbulence physics upgrade that should extend the first adoption of this kind of effects within the Reno DLC

Something like this would be cool: