Aircraft spawning on the runway. Annoying?

Judge, I agree that there are lot’s of idiots out there but let’s be honest. More rules do not translate into more conformists. Restricting users is not in the interest of a commercial developer. If I want to share the friendly skies then I will have to deal with the same abhorrent members of society that I run into when I head to the local WalMart. Can’t get rid of them either.
As long as this is a public place there will be those that should be tossed. However I am pretty sure Asobo/Microsoft aren’t about to toss all the new users that don’t have the skills or sophistication to fit into the aviation mold.

3 Likes

It’s my simulator (or my license), I paid for it and I will spawn or start wherever I please.

I don’t care about multiplayer…

Thank you!

1 Like

Well, then turn it off. :wink:

No, you go to vatsim and pay to keep me away :wink:

I don’t know how to do that anyway… :smiley:

Flight simulators are sandboxes… a place to play.

1 Like

Frankly I would be embarrassed to spawn on the runway. Never done it intentionally.
I thought this was supposed to be a simulator?
If you want to be a jerk spawn on the runway…fine, but it shouldn’t be the default option!

2 Likes

Sorry, I don’t embarrass that easily…

In reality, you (or I, actually) don’t spawn on the runway itself. MSFS puts the plane at the end of the taxiway at the end of the runway chosen in the flight plan.

From there, I have no control of the aircraft until the AI taxis me out onto the runway. Then, finally, I can set the barometric pressure, dial in AP and flight plan specifics, do my run up, etc.

I’m not being a jerk. I’m just flying the simulator from the point where it has placed me. I have zero desire to start out from a “cold and dark” cockpit for each flight–been there, done it hundreds of times–it’s a drag.

And don’t tell anyone, but I often don’t land the aircraft at the destination airport either.

It is not unusal for me to right-click on the MSFS icon in the system tray and select “X Close window” and “POOF” it’s gone–I know, blasphemous aint’ it??? :grin: :joy:

But, hey, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go!

2 Likes

This has been an age old problem with multiplayer for decades. One thought might be to spawn the aircraft holding short of the active, but even then, the view upwind can be obscured by nasty but quite important things like the wing. The simple answer is one of discipline, good airmanship and thought for others.

2 Likes

I agree with the premise of your post to a large extent. However, the root cause of the problem here is that multiplayer users need to accept that their niche in the simulator world requires a closed, protected environment. An environment and/or server that can be counted on to be exactly like the environment on their local network or machine. Absent that commonality, chaos will rule and destroy that which they seek–isolation from the great unwashed, typical public user who cares not for their “world” or experience.

The onus then, is on the multiplayer enthusiasts and NOT on the general player or sim-pilot. The general player (be she or he a real-world pilot or just a “gamer”) has zero responsibility for the multiplayers’ experience. They have purchased and installed a software product that they have every right to use as they wish. The multiplayers must understand this tenet and move on to a “multiplayer environment”.

To that end, there are areas of the Internet (e.g., IVAO, VATSIM, Pilot Edge, Virtual Skies, AirspaceVR, et. al.) that create and maintain such environments. True, they may not be free of charge (I’m assuming), but they do allow the isolation from the general user and their “stupid user tricks” that upset the “serious” multiplayer enthusiasts. They have rules and stuff… and they will chastise users who transgress. Put the rulebreakers in their place, as it were…

Once again, this is just my opinion; I could be wrong…

I pretty much agree with everything you have written here. Hence my suggestion of the option to spawn on the active being removed and replaced by spawning holding short.

1 Like

I’m well aware that there are environments like IVAO or VATSIM, I actually somewhat experienced with them, too.

I can’t really follow your argument that “enthusiast simmers” need a protected environment as aviation in general is quite a protected environment.

However, my point is that MSFS claims the live setting to be the most realistic experience when it’s actually the opposite. At least partly.
I don’t really understand why people who actually want a more realistic experience have to turn exactly that function off while people who don’t really care could also use the “all players” where they can have exactly what they want: other traffic without the need to actually care for other pilots.

P.S. IVAO and VATSIM are free. PilotEdge however, charges 20 bucks a months from what I know. The difference is that PilotEdge has better ATC coverage but in smaller areas. On IVAO and VATSIM, controllers are spread over the entire globe (Edit: of course concentrated in classic areas like US east coast and western Europe).
The main downside is that neither have live traffic so every aircraft you see and every ATC you talk to is a real person. That leads to another (in my opinion) downside, which is, depending on time of the day and region, traffic coverage can be much lower than with MSFS live. Which (for me) is a real bummer. Especially when you keep in mind that these services combine pilots and controllers from all the different sims (MSFS/FSX/P3D/XP11) into one group.

At the time of this post, IVAO has 693 pilots online, VATSIM 1,003. According to SteamCharts, there are currently 5,704 players online, store versions and actual online settings not taken into account. Plus the live traffic.
Just to put some numbers for comparison.

Agreed… but we really are spawned “holding short”. But, as it now stands, nothing can be done in the aircraft at that point without actually proceeding onto the runway; either by pressing the “Ready to Fly” button or by allowing the AI to eventually move the aircraft onto the runway.

The fix is to allow access to the aircraft when spawned “holding short” so that the AP and other flight plan variables can be addressed and tweaked; as well as aircraft switches and configuration.

THEN, allow the aircraft to receive its takeoff clearance and proceed to the active runway.

Vatsim is the way to go.
Nothing beat vatsim in terms of immersion

1 Like

But you see (and I really am playing the devil’s advocate here), the general user is very likely totally oblivious as to how complex real world aviation is and, furthermore, may NOT CARE.

All the options in the configuration are there and free to be used; regardless of the experience level of the user. There may be a lot of, “Let’s see what this does.” with little to no regard or thought to who else can or may be impacted.

So, I say again, the ruining of a serious simmers day by a misplaced aircraft in the sim is NOT the fault nor the problem of the general users’ actions. The fault lies in the simulator’s allowing them to have access to things that impact others without them even knowing that they are.

1 Like

Again, the discussion in the linked thread is aiming on making it impossible to spawn on the runway while on “live” settings. Following your argumentation this would perfectly prevent the people you described by accidentally doing anything “wrong”.

1 Like

I’m down with that!

1 Like

I’ve watched many videos of Vatsim flights and am amazed at the skills required to participate.

1 Like

For me, it is simple. When another plane is standing too long at the begin of the runway, I taxi through them. I wait not more than a minute. But I like to see as well the others, it is funny to see, how others are taxiing through the woods. For me, this is pure entertainment.

2 Likes

lol… :joy: :rofl: I don’t need no stinkin’ rudder pedals!

1 Like

Rudder pedals are overrated…

People are considerate of everyone else everywhere. Do you post messages anywhere and about whatever the topic is? We all modify our behaviour everywhere we go, online and off. You don’t post whatever you want here, or using any language. That’s what children do and that’s why they need parents because they haven’t learned that other people exist. Why not look at the impacts of actions and think about how you would like to make life more respectful of others, including yourself. cheers

2 Likes