Airport Won't Show on World Map After Game Update 1.14.6

Prior to the 1.14.6 game update, I had built 3 airports. All are defunct in real life but still exist in FSE. They were E04, EKNS, and YHOX. E04 and EKNS survived the update but YHOX refuses to appear on the World Map now. And I can’t figure out why.

YHOX is essentially just a placeholder at present, simply to have something that works in FSE. It has the airport object, a polygon to remove the industrial buildings that now occupy the site, and the runway with its 2 spawn points. That’s it (for now). No taxiway, no ramp parking, nothing.

I have deleted and added everything back. I have even scrapped the whole project and started over from scratch. The project compiles without errors. But it refuses to appear on the World map now in 1.14.6, when it did before in 1.14 5.

Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks in advance.

Further info…

E04, EKNS, and YHOX were all built with SDK 0.10 in game version 1.14.5. E04 and EKNS survived the game update to 1.14.6 no problem but YHOX disappeared from the world map and cannot be selected by typing in its ICAO.

There are some similarities and differences between these 3 airports, as follows:

E04 was semi-recognized by MSFS. In the default game world, it had 2 paved runways, a beacon, and a windsock, and if you landed there, your logbook would show you’d landed at E04. However, it did not appear on the World Map until I messed with it, so you couldn’t start a flight there. My version of E04, the airport object deletes all pre-existing airport stuff, there are a few polygons that remove vegetation (there are no buildings there in real life), and 2 exclusion rectangles to deal with the default beacon and windsock. The I added runways, taxiways, parking, fuel, lights, a building, aprons, and cars in the parking lot. All good. You can find it here if you want to see for yourself:

There is no trace of EKNS left in MSFS by default. Its site has reverted to farmland with no default airport elements remaining. The airport object deletes every airport thing just to be safe and no harm done. There are no polygons not exclusion rectangles, just the runway, taxiways, aprons, parking, terminal, cars in the parking lot, etc. And all good. You can see it here if interested:

As for YHOX, there’s no trace of that left in MSFS, either. In real life, the site has been built over by an industrial park so there’s a polygon to remove those buildings and associated greenscaping, but no exclusion rectangles. I’ve tried having the airport object delete all airport things, and delete nothing (just in case the update made airport objects delete themselves if there are no MSFS targets). Otherwise, it has only a runway, although I’ve tried adding taxiways and ramp parking to see if those are now required elements. No luck. In game version 1.14.6, I have rebuilt this airport from scratch with both SDK 0.10 and 0.11. No luck. Although it has always compiled free of errors, it still refuses to show up on the world map. But it was just fine in game version 1.14.5.

AFAIK, the only thing game version 1.14.6 did was update the name data. So my main theory at this point is that somehow the YHOX ICAO code got blackballed in there. My next attempt will be to change the ICAO code to YHQX (also vacant at present) to see if the YHOX code itself is the problem.

The Content.xml file may be confused and not rebuilding correctly. Delete it and restart game and it will be recreated.

1 Like

Where is the “Content xml” file? I cannot find such a thing. I find quite a few “ConetentInfo.xml” files scattered throughout the various subfolders of the project but not a “Content.xml”.

And BTW, for those keeping score at home, changing the ICAO code to YHQX didn’t help.

LocalCache folder in your main MSFS folder.

If you have store version:

C:\Users[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\ Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

1 Like

1000 thank-yous! This actually worked! All my airports have come back :slight_smile:

Good deal, glad that helped.

It’s really important to move your community files to another directory BEFORE you process any update in the game. After updating, go into the content manager and download any updates to packages or new packages. Then quit MSFS and restart it and fly a quick flight. This should rebuild your content.xml file without any reference to community packages. At that point, quit MSFS again, move your Community files back to where they are supposed to be, and when you restart, your content.xml file will be rebuilt again apprpriately. If you get any CTD’s, move them all out again, and move them in a few at a time until you figure out which addons are giving you grief.

1 Like

I find it easier to do it like this:

1. Clean out \Community
  2. Update (store, game, marketplace, content manager, SDK) and quit game
  3. Move the mods back into \Community
  4. Delete contents.xml
  5. Restart game