All planes veering to the right on takeoff

Included the video there. This happens on all planes, the only time i’m moving the rudder is to try and stay on the centre line. It happens with live weather off as well so its not a crosswind. I’ve also tried nose wheel steering on different axis, the twist on my sidestick and the rudder pedals and it still happens on both.

I’ve tried adding deadzones to rudder and tried 2 sets of different pedals and the same thing happens. The only thing else I can think of causing this is gsx.

Anyone have any ideas? it’s driving me mad.

Thanks

Hi @Roastyfire,
Thank you for your post! Your topic has been moved to a sub-category of the User Support Hub

The General Discussion category is meant for discussions that fall outside of our other sub-categories.

If you would like other users to help you with an issue you are experiencing in the sim, consider these User Support Hub categories for your future post:

Aircraft & Systems
ATC, Traffic & NAVAIDs
Crashes (CTDs)
Hardware & Peripherals
Install, Performance & Graphics
Scenery & Airports
User Interface & Activities
Virtual Reality (VR)
Weather & Live Weather
Miscellaneous

There are a couple of topics about veering in the User Support Hub , have you checked those ?:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/search?expanded=true&q=veer%20%23user-support-hub%20in%3Atitle

I have never, ever needed left rudder on takeoff IRL.

(ever)

1 Like

Personal Comments and Observations

No 1. Suspect - a recent restart of the sim enabled AI Assist. It happens more than you’d think. Verify assistance settings are off.

Beyond that, check Windows’ USB Game Controllers applet and see if you have drift/uncommanded inputs on your controller. That can happen as potentiometers get worn down over time and use.

1 Like

I am seeing similar on the longitude. It drifts to the right during T/O and once airborne it takes a very large amount to aileron to correct this. At about 500ft AGL all comes good.

2 Likes

This is the Fenix, all assists should be off. It’s also a new set of rudder pedals I bought last week so shouldn’t be an issue with wear.

You said it happens in all planes.
The settings Casual Click is referring to are in the sim “Assistance Options”, and will affect all aircraft.

1 Like

Effects in the sim are exaggerated, for sure. You can see at one point in the video the windsock indicating a strong crosswind from the right.

Though it doesn’t look like it would be much effect to counteract in a 172, let alone an airliner.

@Roastyfire In that instance, did you have any manual rudder input?

2 Likes

Only a bit of left rudder until about 50 seconds in and then i let go of it.

It also happens when taxiing, i’m going to mess around with deadzones and see if its the toebrakes or something like that causing it.

The other thing I would try is a letter the weather, and completely 0 the wind layer.

If that eliminates it, then you are just dealing with a crosswind as simulated by the sim.

It seems to be something to do with live weather, I just did a test and when I had weather off it didn’t do it. When I put it on and took off from 27L from heathrow the plane was veering the oposite direction of the wind sock (like in the video), when i turned around and tried taking off from the other end it veered in the other direction.

Your plane will always try to go into the direction of where the wind is coming from. So if you have cross wind coming from the right, plane will try to turn right and you need to compensate with left rudder.
If you take off from the opposite side of the same runway with same wind condition then your plane will try to go left and you need to compensate with right rudder.
Looks a normal behaviour unless I am missing something.

3 Likes

That makes a lot of sense, before I was letting the rudder sit until I needed to make a correction, and by that point it was already veering off.

I guess slight constant rudder is needed when taxiing as well then in winds?

Thanks to @hobanagerik too for noticing the wind sock and getting me on the right track.

Yes, same for taxi but with less input since you are going slower. Also when taxiing and taking off with cross wind you should have some input of your ailerons this time in the direction the wind is coming from. So to summarize: if crosswind coming from the right, rudder to the left and ailerons to the right. I think I saw some posts talking about that and for sure you can find some articles on the internet with technical description on how to taxi/take off a plane with cross wind.

2 Likes

For taxiing, have a look at this video.

1 Like

I have tested this myself before, and confirm that even with no wind the aircraft still pulls to a side during. Actually sometimes the aircraft even pulls to the opposite side of the wind, meaning if the wind is blowing left to right, it will sometimes still go left. And this is something that I do not recall not happening except on very, very rare occasions, and I think that might have to do with the airport. It seems that on some airports the effect is reduced, but I can’t notice a regular pattern or specific airports. I’m on series S.

If you don’t put rudder input, if wind is coming from the left, your plane will turn into the wind, so going to the left, that the expected behaviour. Or maybe I don’t read correctly your comment.

1 Like

I think I’m with you. (And this explanation is for general consumption. I’m not lecturing you. :+1:t2:)

When in Flight the left to right wind you’ve described will do two things. 1) It will push the vertical stabilizer right, “twisting” (yawing) the nose left, requiring right rudder. 2) It will push on the fuselage, shoving the entire plane off-course to the right, requiring you dip the left wing. (Banking into the wind.)

Where MSFS gets it wrong is continuing the effect of the wind on the vertical stabilizer after the plane has touched down. IRL, once on the ground, the wind’s effect on the vertical stabilizer is virtually nil.

However… the wind WILL still noticeably shove the plane off to the right, so Left rudder is immediately necessary (in a power-off) roll to stop.

IRL, I use the phrase: “hold your hands, flip your feet.” In this case “hold” the yoke / aileron input into the wind (maintain left bank), and “flip” the pedal you’re pushing on (switch to the left rudder pedal).

Hope that makes sense.

1 Like