All seaplanes pull hard into the wind when in the water

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version? Steam

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting. Renamed the community folder temporarily and confirmed this happens regardless of addons. Not that I use any that change the game’s physics.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? Haven’t switched Dev Mode on since switching to the Steam version.

Brief description of the issue: Amphibious planes, when in the water, will aim into the wind with incredible force. If the wind is going west (coming from the east), they want to face east, whether you try to turn them around clockwise or counter-clockwise. Basically, this makes it impossible to take off or water-taxi with any wind over ~15 knots.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered: First clip is just me trying to turn away from the wind. I try to go north or south to no avail, and when I release the rudder, the nose draws back into the wind like a magnet. Second clip, I took off and landed with the wind, and you can see the plane turning itself around. Forgot to put the water rudder down in these clips, but this has been happening either way over at least the last couple days. Has happened with the amphibious Skyhawk and OZx’s Grumman Goose as well.

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered: Land or taxi any plane in the water, and try to turn away from wherever the wind is blowing from.

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile) Specs should be in my profile.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: V1.19.9.0, with no pending updates.

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #? Will submit to Zendesk unless I’m convinced this is how amphibious planes actually behave in the waves.

Ah! So I’m not crazy. I was trying to turn the Icon while on Lake Michigan and the moderate wind made it impossible to turn certain headings.

2 Likes

When I go for a water landing, I assume that is my final destination for that flight because if there is more than 5kt wind and you are near land you are probably going to beach yourself trying to maneuver.

I have just learned to avoid playing in the water, like a lot of things. It’s a fun novelty, but the physics are just not right.

2 Likes

No one’s crazy when it comes to seaplanes, the handling is pretty terrible.
I’ve come to realize that the water rudder doesn’t really help anywhere near as much as it should, practically useless. Plus it doesn’t really matter how much finessing of the rudder and throttle you do, it pretty much pulls one way hard or another.

1 Like
2 Likes

This is not my mod… The Cub mod works really well but the Skyhawk is still a little tricky.

Turning into the wind is normal, its the weather vane effect, i.e. the wind acting on the vertical stabiliser causing the aircraft to turn into the wind. Water rudders are useless when at very low speed as they have to overcome the huge forces on the vertical stabiliser in moderate winds. You probably wouldn’t be landing on water in those types of wind anyway, not if you like your spine anyway.

You also lift the rudders when starting your takeoff run otherwise you are likely to tip a wing into the water with any sudden rudder inputs at speed with the water rudders down.

I understand that stronger winds will make taxying on water more difficult. Without any water rudders modelled, it is impossible. The water rudders have NO effect in MSFS (apart from looking pretty as they go up and down). The mod above makes taxying to the pontoon an absolute joy instead of the default misery. Please vote for water rudders!

1 Like

Good news from the latest patch notes for the beta test that just started:

“-Improved water rudder and water handling at low speeds. Plane now turns into the wind”

Ready to land off the Chicago shore again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

its the weather vane effect

That explains what they’re trying to do here, at least. The effect just feels really strong; kinda wish it didn’t overpower even the Goose’s differential throttle steering (assuming that’s being accurately modeled).

Yes, but the problem appears to be similar to ground handling where it seems there is an on/off switch between authority in the water versus authority from airflow over the flight control surfaces.

Maybe there is someone with experience flying seaplanes who can shed light on how realistic the sim is but I often need to apply 75% plus power, carry 40 knots, and apply full counter aileron/rudder to taxi in a 10 knot wind.

Sometimes I find I can’t even get to the other end of a lake and turn into the wind for takeoff. Somehow, boats drive and aircraft fly crosswind all the time, but I can’t seem to do it in the sim no matter how much power or speed I carry.